Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:24 am

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Feeding frenzy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:11 am 
Site Admin

With over 3,000 budget-related pieces on Google News and doubtless more to come, it is hard to see how anything by way of useful comment can be added to the torrent. If you started reading now, you might just have caught up by the next budget.

The key points, we are told, are a £7bn squeeze on the rich followed by a brutal freeze on public spending in the next parliament, setting up the government for the general election.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Feeding frenzy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:36 am 
I printed out section 7 of the budget, so I could deconstruct the idiocy,.
My first reaction is that it is beyond previous reality that a government would exude money and claim financial rectitude. But, there it is!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:14 am 

I've just been watching a program on 'serious' Gernan TV called "Hart aber Fair" in which a fairly balanced political panel discussed the current meltdown...they seemed to think that they were worse off than London, as they now often call the UK and, describing the recession as the worst Germany has ever experienced, reckon that things will get worse until a maybe turnaround in 2011
Much was made of the difference of attitudes between the Germans & the Froggies over the Rhein to looking calamity in the face
Among the participating audience was a Dusseldorff man who runs a 'soup kitchen' & comprehensive second-hand clothing store for the new poor.
Someone asked him what money he got for doing this job...€1100,- (£998,-) PDT_Armataz_01_31

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:15 am 

The only tiny thing that was positive in the green bit of the budget (a green shoot perhaps) was £25m for communities to organise their own power through burning waste or wood. Not that £25m will go very far (over 500m for turbines would have been better spent on communities instead). Then if we could get ourselves off our dependency on the National Grid, we may be able to protect ourselves from those loonies in the asylum.

Did you also see Richard, that he's increasing landfill tax to encourage MORE recycling of waste. Watch for the council tax increase next year to pay for the increase in the costs of collecting, storing and eventual dumping of said recycled waste.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:08 am 

RAENORTH wrote:
hailed as the world's first "carbon budget"

I like the comment that someone has posted on The Times. If you literally burn money, carbon is all you’re left with.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:11 am 

Quote:
he also delivered what is hailed as the world's first "carbon budget"

I’m afraid we beat him to it. We’ve had to suffer at least two of them by now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:22 am 

Sounds more like a "scorched earth" budget to me, ruin England first then collect you reward from the EU. Trouble is "who will then pay for the Scots and Welsh"...... oh silly me, us of course, just add it to the bill! PDT_Armataz_01_19

Derek

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:06 pm 
RAENORTH wrote:
With over 3,000 budget-related pieces on Google News and doubtless more to come, it is hard to see how anything by way of useful comment can be added to the torrent. If you started reading now, you might just have caught up by the next budget.

The key points, we are told, are a £7bn squeeze on the rich followed by a brutal freeze on public spending in the next parliament, setting up the government for the general election.

View full article here

Agree with the general thrust of the article. However can you clarify what you mean by "The actual amount to come out of the tax fund is about £510m over the next two years - 9.6 percent of the chancellor's total spending commitments." By my fag packet if 510m is 9.6% then that is a total of 5.3 billion. That's a lot on the low side.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:22 pm 

Just to remind you, this is what a feeding frenzy looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0UJNUluRSs

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

Ian Reid posting as a guest wrote:
RAENORTH wrote:

View full article here

Agree with the general thrust of the article. However can you clarify what you mean by "The actual amount to come out of the tax fund is about £510m over the next two years - 9.6 percent of the chancellor's total spending commitments." By my fag packet if 510m is 9.6% then that is a total of 5.3 billion. That's a lot on the low side.

Dunno ... made the fatal mistake of copying the figure from the MSM without checking it. No doubt, the Guardian invented the figure, as does everyone else - it is all "funny money", totally devoid of meaning until you have to put your hand in your pocket and find that there is nothing there cos they've spent it all on wind farms.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:30 pm 
I noticed that figure too, but thought WTF, why bother — just another number someone has misquoted/mistyped/misunderstood AGAIN.

Millions, billions, trillions ..... Brazilians, what do they care? They're barely numerate. They never attempt to get a handle on them and make them meaningful in any way by, say, expressing them as per capita amounts per annum to see if they make any sense or to detect errors. Those arty-farty hacks have a problem once they run out of fingers and toes.

Yeah. They like the "big picture". You know, the one with bright primary colours and simple shapes. Janet & John style, that kind of thing.

Altogether now children........

"One, two, three, four, five,
Once I caught a fish alive,
Six, seven, eight, nine, ten,
Then I let it go again.

Why did you let it go?
Because it bit my finger so.
Which finger did it bite?
This little finger on my right.
"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

There was that classic joke - although it isn't a joke anymore ... how do you pick a Treasury official from a crowd?

A. Ask everyone to count to 16. The Treasury official takes his shoes and socks off.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:38 pm 
I hadn't heard that one before. :lol:

But then I didn't do classics (beyond compulsion).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:33 pm 

Now we can guess what made Prof.S.Hawking (Get better soon :) ) so unwell...he's not usually fazed by astronumbers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:37 pm 

Another old (Treasury ?) story was: The ability to count only to 21. ...........oh well.

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next