Change font size
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:59 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 52 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Amateur's night out
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:14 am 
Site Admin

So Daniel Hannan made a speech in the EU parliament. This one cannot avoid knowing as the inbox is full of laudatory comments and links to his You-Tube video (225 views), plus his blog. As to his media coverage, there are eight links on Google News with include Gordon Brown and himself. One is his own blog and one is a BBC report that does not mention the speech. Then there are EU parliament press releases in two languages and four other foreign language reports. Google Gordon Brown, though, and you get 30,662. I make that a win to Gordon by 1 to 3,800.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Amateur's night out
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:49 am 
I think you're a bit harsh. What a great speech he gave. What great and withering lecture he doled out to that Gordon Brown. I loved the way Brown only gets to hear the truth of how heis bankrupting us when he goes to somewhere foreign. God I'm so pissed with that Mr Brown. He's no economist, no politician, no diplomat just a total chancer and self dellusional one at that.

Thank you , I feel better now.

great blog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:04 am 
Site Admin

Howard wrote:
I think you're a bit harsh. What a great speech he gave. What great and withering lecture he doled out to that Gordon Brown. I loved the way Brown only gets to hear the truth of how heis bankrupting us when he goes to somewhere foreign. God I'm so pissed with that Mr Brown. He's no economist, no politician, no diplomat just a total chancer and self dellusional one at that.

Thank you , I feel better now.

great blog

I'm not being harsh ... I'm taking the piss ... out of the parliament and the media ... and being considerate. Hannan would have a heart attack if I was nice to him! And he was lucky ... some presidents cut the mikes bang on the second. Hannan risked losing his payoff line. Anyway ... here's the speech .... 450 words, on the button!

Quote:
Prime Minister, I see you’ve mastered the essential craft of this Parliament –saying one thing here and another to your electorate. You’ve spoken here about free trade, and amen to that. Who would have guessed that you had authored the phrase ‘British Jobs for British Workers’, and that you’ve subsidised – where you have not nationalised outright – swathes of our economy, including the car industry and many banks.

Perhaps you would have more moral authority in this house if your actions matched your words. Perhaps you would have more legitimacy in the councils of the world if the UK were not entering this recession in the worst condition of any G20 country.

In truth, Prime Minister, you have run out of our money. The country is in negative equity. Every British child is born owing around £20,000. Servicing the debt is going to cost more than educating the child.

Now once again you tried to spread the blame. You spoke about an international recession; an international crisis. Well, it is true that we are all sailing into the squall – but not every vessel is in the same dilapidated condition. Other ships used the good years to caulk their hulls and clear their rigging – in other words, they paid off debt. You raised borrowing further. As a consequence, under your captaincy, our hull is deep into the water. We are now running a deficit that touches 10 percent of GDP. Unbelievable! More than Pakistan or Hungary – countries where the IMF has already been called in.

Now, it’s not that you’re not apologising. Like everyone else, I’ve long accepted that you’re pathologically incapable of these things – it’s that you’re carrying on, wilfully worsening the situation, wantonly spending what little we have left. In the last twelve months, 125,000 private sector jobs have been lost – yet you’ve created 30,000 public sector jobs. Prime Minister you cannot forever squeeze the productive economy in order to fund an unprecedented engorging of the unproductive bit.

You cannot spend your way out of recession or borrow your way out of debt. And when you repeat, in that wooden and perfunctory way, that our situation is better than others, that we’re well placed to weather the storm, you sound like a Brezhnev-era Apparatchik uttering the party line. You know, and we know, and you know we know that it’s nonsense. Everyone knows that Britain is the worst placed to go into these hard times. The IMF says so. The European Commission says so. The markets say so, by devaluing our currency 30%. Soon the voters will get their say.

They can see what the markets have already seen: that you are a devalued Prime Minister, of a devalued Government.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:04 am 

A very well made speech.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:57 am 
The joy of it was that Brown had to sit there and listen to the lot, Brown not having Mr (Labour) Speaker Martin to protect him. The speech was very well contrcuted and delivered, and I must agree with previous correspondents that RAEN's remarks and headline (Amateur's night out') are ungenerous.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:14 am 

I think some are missing Richard's tongue-in-cheek point. That all such speeches are ineffective. Fair enough, big waves in the blogosphere, but nothing on the TV news, AFAIK. I haven't looked in the print media yet, but I expect little. Pity the speech was on a UK issue but has to be delivered in this foul assembly because there's no way to get this out in our own parliament. Pity this stupid talking shop has an equally stupid time limit so all speeches of whatever wisdom and complexity are stuffed into the same box. (Yes, I know what would happen if those people were NOT time-limited: chaos.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:09 am 

No mention on the BBC Radio 4 Today program so far. Presumably this is typical of the Drive-By Media.

However, the response of the Blogging Classes brings to mind that a .... candid [politician] should acknowledge that he is not very likely to have arrived at ultimate [pay dirt], but, in view of the incurable tendency to discipleship in human nature,[emphasis added] he will be thought to have done so unless he makes his failure very evident ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:10 am 

Yes, I think calling him amateur is as close as he will get to a compliment from you. If we analogise Hannan's speech to boxing, he was all over Brown giving him a barrage of body blows. Brown was unable to reply, had no answer. The Conservatives should start calling for a vote of no confidence or a general election.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:39 am 

The Conservatives should get Hannan a seat in Parliament, he might give them some back-bone!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:03 am 

The very brief cutaway to Brown's grinning face so instantly enraged me that had I been there instead of Hannan, I would have got to him and punched his other eye out before the EU security staff had moved a muscle. If only!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrotte http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_a_thousand_cuts

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:23 am 

We'll get no mention of this speech in the MSM, especially from the Al-Beeb, they are nothing more than ZanuLabs media outlet. Just look at the way they are down playing Mervyn Kings intervention.

Where it will all get much more interesting is at the G20.....that coming row and resulting debacle, will be much harder to downplay and Gordon the Moron McSnot may well come out of it looking the moron he truly is.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:39 am 
Mosquito said: "I think some are missing Richard's tongue-in-cheek point. That all such speeches are ineffective."

I think this is a speech which is the exception that proves the rule. Normally these speeches may be ineffective as you say, but this one is winging its way around in emails and the blogs. The reason? - it is the speech that Cameron should have been making for the last year and hasn't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:07 pm 

Quote:
The reason? - it is the speech that Cameron should have been making for the last year and hasn't.

Backed by intellectual heavy artillery from Hague, the wusses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:28 pm 

Well I enjoyed it. It was great to see Dan voicing what we would all like to say and Brown just smirking like the snake he is. I would like to wipe that smirk right off his face, any hope of the Scots Nats beating him in the next GE? That would be poetic justice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:58 pm 

Well, it's all over the right-wing part of the blogosphere all right, but I can find no evidence that it was on the TV or any report in the print media today. Which means it didn't happen. Like everything in the EP, it is completely ignored by our MSM even though it's supposed to be a parliament where important things happen. Or so they will be telling us in a matter of weeks.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 52 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next