[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate() [function.getdate]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
EU Referendum & Friends • View topic - An absence of leadership
Change font size
It is currently Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: An absence of leadership
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

Right on the button, The Daily Telegraph runs a story headed: "UK at 'real risk' of power shortages, report warns", telling us that "The UK is at ‘real risk’ of imminent power shortages as a result of attempts to shift to more environmentally friendly methods of electrictity (sic) production, a report has warned."

That's what I really like about newspapers – the way they keep you informed with the latest, up-to-the-minute news. Only the MSM can do this, with its thousands of gifted staff, its million pound budgets and its access to expert sources of information.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: An absence of leadership
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:47 pm 

Please keep banging the drum - eventually others notice.
Quote:
Through the miracle of the Blogger technology, we can see how many other blogs link to our posts
Small point. You can only see those google blogs that link to your posts. Greg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

gregb wrote:
Please keep banging the drum - eventually others notice.
Quote:
Through the miracle of the Blogger technology, we can see how many other blogs link to our posts
Small point. You can only see those google blogs that link to your posts. Greg

Poetic licence ... I also have three hit counters watching. There were no links to that piece that I could see. But I'll do a silent edit on the piece.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:45 pm 

Is there no-one about who remembers the 70s and the appalling overcoat & candle-powered situation during that bleak time?...the final straw that propelled me from the wretched country.
But then, we had the power but it was denied to us. Tomorrow there'll be no power to be denied.
I am aware the the World is a mad place...but top of the list of the terminally suicidal are the British in almost every aspect. The fury & frustration of the few rational inhabitants remaining must know no bounds. The inmates are fully in charge of the asylum...and the sane are in straightjackets.
Somebody writes here "It will all end in tears"....The ducts are swelling.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:22 pm 
I'd say our situation is worse than that of the late 70s. It's more comparable to WW2.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 pm 

I'd go with late '70s, an overladen Ship of State rudderless and battered by the sea of troubles. WW2 was altogether more bothersome.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:02 pm 
Is it not time to set up the EU Referendum Pigeon Fancier's Club?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:41 pm 

It is not just an absence of leadership but also of guts and intergrity. Cameron is desperate to be elected, at whatever cost and upon whatever pretext. If that means refusing to face unpalatable, but vital decisions, that's fine by him, so long as his opponents don't call his bluff by raising the issue themselves. In fact, he was called out by Hutton, who did raise the energy gap issue, which could have been awkward. But, fortunately for him, Hutton was immediately muzzled by his own party, and sent off to recruit an EU army for Napoloen Sarkhozy, thus risking a mauling by a lame fox.

I have never been an active Conservative supporter but (until standing as a candidate for Jimmy Goldsmith's Rebel Army in '97) I usually voted for them, as the best of a bad bunch. With Cameron, however, it is different, we have all the examples of Heath,who lied in his teeth Major, who led the retreat from Maastricht, Howard the Huffer, Duncan the Decent (a fatal failing in modern politics), Hague the Vague (was there ever a more meaningless phrase than In Europe but not ruled by it?) and now, alas, unless he changes dramatically, it looks like being Cameron the Chamberlain.

I have yet to see any positive evidence that Cameron is anything but totally dedicated to further EU integration. Whether voting for anything but the Conservative list at the Euro elections next year will send a message to him is doubtful, but still worth doing.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]