Change font size
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:59 am

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Cutting their own throats
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:17 am 
Site Admin

The EU's obsession with the contents of our waste bins continues to cast its dark shadow over UK policy, the Sunday Express telling us that plans are now afoot to tax disposable items such as nappies and razor blades as luxury goods in order to reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill.

This, according to the newspaper, is one of the options set out in a 200-page report commissioned by Defra, aimed at halving the amount of waste produced by each person from 800 to 400lbs a year. Another possible option is the much rehearsed idea of a new bin tax, based on the amount of waste produced.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cutting their own throats
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:01 am 
Suppose all men grew beards in protest against green taxes on disposable razors, would the scum in charge of our lives then tax the wearing of beards again!! http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=beard+ ... =firefox-a

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Perry wrote:
Suppose all men grew beards in protest against green taxes on disposable razors, would the scum in charge of our lives then tax the wearing of beards again!! http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=beard+ ... =firefox-a

What fun!

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:27 am 

Presumably the carrying of a cut throat razor in public would be a criminal offence. Also they would not be allowed in airline carry-on luggage I guess.

That would leave electric razors which for men with a strong beard are not very effective but no problems there for our present bunch of politicians, or as already said, the beard tax.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:50 pm 
"Everything within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:59 pm 

Nowadays, whenever I see a hard number quoted in a govt or quango release I try to see whether it makes sense. This 800lbs per person makes my BS alarm go wild. We have three people chez Mosquito. Me, Mrs M and mosquito minor, who is 16. IF we were throwing away 800lb each per annum, that would be over a ton for three of us, meaning I put out fifty pounds of rubbish a week (yes, still weekly in S. Oxon) and I don't really think I do, more like 20lb. We compost some (the awful quango WRAP says this is wicked wasted food) and occasionally take larger items to the tip, but I can't see a ton in it. Is this in fact the total industrial and domestic waste of the country divided by the population? If so, when looking to reduce it it's daft to concentrate on what's in our bins.

Oh, and WRAP. They say 'we' throw away a third of our food. THIS number needs looking into. It whiffs too. Do they include peel and skins, outdated stuff chucked by supermarkets because of sell-by labels, friut and veg which aren't pretty enough to put on the shelf, what? Again, is this a national number being presented as just the ordinary family's fault? Any chance of something about that, Doctor N?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

Mosquito wrote:
Nowadays, whenever I see a hard number quoted in a govt or quango release I try to see whether it makes sense. This 800lbs per person makes my BS alarm go wild. We have three people chez Mosquito. Me, Mrs M and mosquito minor, who is 16. IF we were throwing away 800lb each per annum, that would be over a ton for three of us, meaning I put out fifty pounds of rubbish a week (yes, still weekly in S. Oxon) and I don't really think I do, more like 20lb. We compost some (the awful quango WRAP says this is wicked wasted food) and occasionally take larger items to the tip, but I can't see a ton in it. Is this in fact the total industrial and domestic waste of the country divided by the population? If so, when looking to reduce it it's daft to concentrate on what's in our bins.

Oh, and WRAP. They say 'we' throw away a third of our food. THIS number needs looking into. It whiffs too. Do they include peel and skins, outdated stuff chucked by supermarkets because of sell-by labels, friut and veg which aren't pretty enough to put on the shelf, what? Again, is this a national number being presented as just the ordinary family's fault? Any chance of something about that, Doctor N?

I wonder if they've taken the bulk figure for waste generation, neglecting the fact that domestic refuse accounts omly for ten percent of the total. It may be a repeat of the factoid on water consumption, when the average household use also takes account of industrial use. You are definitely right - it needs looking into!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:58 pm 

Oh the joy of joined up thinking.

Richard quoted the report noting: ' "the usual suspects", such as disposable nappies'. This clearly implies that Terry nappies should be used, and reused. In between use and reuse comes a process called washing, for which it is almost mandatory to use a detergent. [Yes I know that somehow our forbears managed before detergents or soaps had been invented, but they did have a few problems with disease that we currently do not.]

That had me wondering about the reuse of soaps and detergents, and how it was technically not possible. They are the ultimate single use product, whatever packaging they are in.

So I look forward to an update of the evil "Climate Cops" scheme to campaign against the use of soap and water. Now then you will have lots of spotty kids raring to join up! [OK, spotty boys, but to say that would be sexist, and I don't want to get banned just yet.]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:02 pm 
They`ll have to tax squaddies. Part of basic training is learning the proper way to shave in the field. No electrics allowed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:05 am 
What about women's hygiene products? This is the issue which will get the government castrated in double quick time.Then of course men can hit the government with accusations of discrimination.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:18 am 

Time to grow my beard again methinks?

Well women could then go back to the reusable sanitary wear of the 1940's and we could all wipe our bums on squares of newspaper hung from a piece of string next to the thunderbox ;-) Reuse has to be better than recycling ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:23 am 
Site Admin

pipesmoker wrote:
Time to grow my beard again methinks?

Well women could then go back to the reusable sanitary wear of the 1940's and we could all wipe our bums on squares of newspaper hung from a piece of string next to the thunderbox ;-) Reuse has to be better than recycling ;-)

Would we then have to recycle it? Come to think of it, would toilet paper be treated as a luxury, because it is not (normally) recycled?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:32 pm 

It's all gone rather potty! Hope you are well?

Seriously, rationing, an inch of water in a tin bath in the kitchen once a week, no ice cream, bananas, peaches, beer fetched in jugs from off licences, milk delivered from churns in a pony and trap to doorstep jugs, bread and vegetables delivered by horse and cart, very few cars, etc we were a pretty green lot back in those days. Fag cards, whips and tops and marbles for toys!

PS and of course the little squares of newspaper in the outside bog were preferable to Zan Izal medicated toilet paper?

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]