Change font size
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:39 am

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 10   [ 138 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: A political black hole
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

Very often it is The Sun which has its finger on the political pulse of the nation, leaving the politicians (and many of the more self-important political bloggers) floundering. It is of some significance, therefore, that today this paper should run a major story on the energy crisis, pointing out the implications of spiralling energy costs for the less well off.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A political black hole
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:04 pm 

Time for a North White Paper..
A Coherent Energy Policy for the UK ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

SandyRham wrote:
Time for a North White Paper..
A Coherent Energy Policy for the UK ?

Build nukes (preferably pebble bed) to meet maximum demand and regulate the load by using off-peak electricity to produce hydrogen. Explore commercial synthesis of ethanol from hydrogen and carbon monoxide.

Simple.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:41 pm 
RAENORTH wrote:
Explore commercial synthesis of ethanol from hydrogen and carbon monoxide.

Huh ? Why monoxide ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

HarryR wrote:
RAENORTH wrote:
Explore commercial synthesis of ethanol from hydrogen and carbon monoxide.

Huh ? Why monoxide ?

Because, potentially, that is one of the more efficient ways of producing ethanol from biomass. The biomass is burnt in an oxygen-reduced atmosphere to produce CO, which is then combined with hydrogen to produce ethanol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:51 pm 

Surely biomass to ethanol without energy input is a trick yeast sussed a while back?

While talking on this to a mate we realized just how much of what uses electricity round the home is electronic, using inefficient transformers per item. Most of this could be run from car batteries which top up at times of cheap power. Any personal generation (solar panels etc. ) then has a reservoir to charge. In the long run domestic storage could add a useful flexibility to the grid.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:39 pm 

Meanwhile Conserfauxtive leader Cameron vies with Gordon Brown to spew the most idiotic ramblings about CO2, whilst going along with Munchausenian "green" madness schemes that will ruin people and the country financially.

These people won't be happy until Britain IS Bangledesh.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:42 pm 
The problem, as grave as it seems now in the summer, could get a whole lot worse if we face a food shortage as well as grossly inflated prices take their toll. Remember please that people are already faced with the choice of fuel or food or council taxes, it really as a bad as that in many places in Britain today.

Notwithstanding that, Britain is only five meals away, that’s a day and half’s food reserves, which is all we have, from a national disaster of unprecedented catastrophic proportions.

Any credible government would be seriously planning for such an event. Liebour simply don’t have what it takes to protect the public and the conservatives under CAM-MORON, have long sold out any hope of an effective opposition. So it’s the people who will suffer and many of our sick and vulnerable will undoubtedly die this winter.

Yet while that is said we are opening billions of tax payers money in supporting USA inspired UN forces fighting USA designed and instigated wars for whatever reason I simply cannot figure out. It certainly can’t be the so called war on terror, otherwise we would be fighting the greatest terrorist force the world has ever seem–-THE UK and the USA! (you really have to get in deep and into the thick of that one).

So while billion of your tax pounds are wasted on a war that is unwinnable, not only are front line troops dying in vein, but possibly thousands of civilians will do so this winter simply as they cannot afford the high coast of eating well and keeping warm.

The unwinnable wars in Iraq and Afghanistan could eventually break what is left of Britain’s international influence, and if that happen we can forget about being EU trogs, and adapted to becoming USA lackies.

Yet the answers are so simply as to make Westminster look like the ape house it truly is and its occupants appropriately of similar intelligence, although I apologise in advance, as that could be seen as being unwarrantedly insulting to out furry cousins.
I would suggest an immediate calling off supporting Bush and his manufactured war on terror. Using all the money immediately saved through such an innovated action to subsidise fuel price at the pumps by at least 50% and thereby giving the tax payers a break as 80% of the pump price is tax in any even,, most of which is needed to pay for Britain¡s illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

That, I suggest would be a fine start to getting Britain firmly back on track.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

David,

I think you need to read a little more deeply into this subject - not least on this blog - instead of airing your prejudices. The essential problems relating to energy arise basically from the regulatory mess created policy-makers, compounded by their obsession with global warming. With a more coherent policy and without the massive and wholly unnecessary cost burdens imposed on it, industry would be well capable of providing us with power at a price considerably lower than we are paying at the moment.

Similarly, there is no actual food shortage and nor is there likely to be. There are, however - once again - massive regulatory burdens, subsidy and trade distortions, plus many other factors, which combine to cause local and regional shortages or the price hikes which are causing so much grief.

Even a passing familiarity with the content of this blog would indicate to you that throwing money at either problem would not be a solution. These regulatory messes are quite capable of absorbing any amount of cash and still not solving the problems. Reducing spending on the "war on terror", therefore, would be unlikely to provide the solution you are looking for.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:22 pm 

Quote:
It certainly can’t be the so called war on terror, otherwise we would be fighting the greatest terrorist force the world has ever seem–-THE UK and the USA! (you really have to get in deep and into the thick of that one).

Well I agree that you're thick.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:42 pm 

I guess the pensioners heat allowance will have to go up, so as well as paying for my own inflated bills I will be hit in the pocket twice by increased taxes. It's about time someone started to seriously question why we are paying goodness knows how much more for our gas, electric, water and council tax.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:36 pm 
Oh dear I was unaware the my concern for the vulnerable members in society whom I know, via reports in from the regions are suffering NOW through life below the official EU poverty line indicter could be remote construe as a personal prejudice. Did you serious expect anything other than a regulatory mess as our policies makers have for generations proven to be quite deficient at–-professional progressive policies making of a proven high standard. Quality cost effect nature. Therefore I think it would be safe to assume we will never see a coherent cost effective policy for many a long year as we are simply incapable of providing one.

Whatever the associate problems of combatting global warming, we have been sold the idea and its now an entrenched part of out daily life’s so we have to deal with it or face international isolation.

Of course I am fully aware that we could all be having our energy supplied cheaper, but one would have to get to the bottom of the so called drive for world domination and control to even start to look at the source of the problem, OPEC, if you can believe what they say, or indeed what anyone says these days, have told us that it’s the speculators who have driven the oil and gas prices up–-another example of the greed of the capitalist system– but I suspect there is more to it than that.

I find this ever so contradictory when you say–– Similarly, there is no actual food shortage and nor is there likely to be. There are, however - once again - massive regulatory burdens, subsidy and trade distortions, plus many other factors, which combine to cause local and regional shortages or the price hikes which are causing so much grief.

There are indeed food shortages world wide, and millions are dying from the effects thereof–-there is not much I can do over international starvation, but I can point out the effects in the UK of a deficient incompetent succession of governments, most with a hidden agenda to appease those who would destroy this nation. Competent Government is a concept long lost to us, and therefore we must accept the chaos that the slightest international unrest seams to delight in heaping upon and of course is the vulnerable in society that suffers,

And sir no matter what you claim a hungry belly will never differentiate as to what causes a food shortage.

I was not even intimating that we should throw money at anything, as given our trade deficit we really don’t have that much to throw at anything, unless of course you are a spend and tax fan. I advocated a more frugal use of our resource, both financial and human.

The solution can only be and its is the only one that I am looking for is effect, proficient innovated government that prides itself in its strong social policies, for with effective and progressive social policies, mountains become moles hills as we all pull for the common good.

Beside all that if throwing money at something solve the problem we would not be in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

We have to shift our intelligence up upon higher plains of thought, as things around us surely are not improving with the methods we used to handle them today, or as we did in the past.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:49 pm 
We have here the real McCoy. A genuine curate's egg.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:07 pm 
[quote="Jack Bauer"][quote] It certainly can’t be the so called war on terror, otherwise we would be fighting the greatest terrorist force the world has ever seem–-THE UK and the USA! (you really have to get in deep and into the thick of that one).[/quote]

Well I agree that you're thick.[/quote]

Matters not to me what you think or indeed how rude you wish to be Jack.

But take comfort as you are not on your own in your ignorance.

I suppose that illegally walking into Iraq was more of a gracious act, rather than one of grave international terrorism, perpetuated with a total disregard for international law.

And of course the premeditated prior 10 years of illegal scansions that caused death, suffering and misery to 1000s of innocent Iraqi women and children--just to soften up the nation before the illegal invasion---for the Americans and the British, storming Iraq was like taking candy from a baby, as it was already a weaken nation.

What we see today are the results of the smug complacency of Bush, and Tony the Bliar, as neither of the idiots ever thought about what to do when they took Baghdad!

And you think I am thick! Under these circumstances Gen Kitchener was right when he said--(Jack Bauer), Your country needs you! As the will always the less thoughtful nodders to the policies of the evil and corrupt!

WAKE UP MAN, LOOK AROUND YOU AND THINK!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:10 pm 
Stuart wrote:
I guess the pensioners heat allowance will have to go up, so as well as paying for my own inflated bills I will be hit in the pocket twice by increased taxes. It's about time someone started to seriously question why we are paying goodness knows how much more for our gas, electric, water and council tax.

Quite simple really Stuart--A goverment that cant, or possibly wont, govern efficiently and professionally!

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 10   [ 138 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next