Change font size
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: We're moving home
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

After nearly eight years, Blogger has served us well. But changes to the platform without reference to us, and a certain demeanour which might be described as "arrogance of office", has made us nervous.

In short, peremptory instructions from Blogger, accompanied by a threat of deletion of the entire blog if we fail to comply – little short of eight year's work – without proper explanation, and without being able to make contact with "the team", is not something we can live with.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: We're moving home
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:36 pm 

Richard - could you let us know what instructions you have been given from Blogger, especially for those of us also using the platform ourselves who have yet to be contacted?

Until shade is gone, until water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the Last Breath. To spit in Oblivion's eye on the Last Day. Until all bonds are broken. Until the last embrace of the Mother welcomes me home.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:40 pm 

Quote:
In short, peremptory instructions from Blogger, accompanied by a threat of deletion of the entire blog if we failt to comply – little short of eight year's work – without proper explanation, and without being able to make contact with "the team", is not something we can live with.

I'm on blogger and not had 'peremptory instructions' - is that specific to the nature of your blog or more of a general request?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:49 pm 

Could be a business opportunity for North Jnr. Moving blogs from Blogger!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:06 pm 

You won't get rid of me that easily, guys. What was the Ripping Yarns episode, the one where the family moved without telling the son. Well, I'll not be so easily evaded.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

TheBoilingFrog wrote:
Quote:
In short, peremptory instructions from Blogger, accompanied by a threat of deletion of the entire blog if we failt to comply – little short of eight year's work – without proper explanation, and without being able to make contact with "the team", is not something we can live with.

I'm on blogger and not had 'peremptory instructions' - is that specific to the nature of your blog or more of a general request?

Copyright issues ... you find your piece has been taken down if someone complains ... you are given a link that takes you to a site which tells you absolutely nothing - leaving you no information as to what the supposed breach actually is. And if you don't comply with their instructions, they threaten to delete your blog, with no means of contacting them ... they ignore your e-mails.

The other issue is that they have changed from .com to .co.uk - meaning that we are now directly within the UK jurisdiction. I would rather not be there!

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

john in cheshire wrote:
You won't get rid of me that easily, guys. What was the Ripping Yarns episode, the one where the family moved without telling the son. Well, I'll not be so easily evaded.

PDT_Armataz_02_11 PDT_Armataz_02_11 PDT_Armataz_02_11

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:31 pm 

Oops, all I did was 're-home; my blog............

With a bit of luck, we may have begun a mass migration from Blogger........

TBF and Katabasis - take note, move!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:41 pm 

I've been following Pete's progress on this one via Facebook, and I can see it hasn't been easy.

So a big thanks to North Jnr is in order.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

scrasea wrote:
I've been following Pete's progress on this one via Facebook, and I can see it hasn't been easy.

Yup ... he dun good, that lad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:52 pm 

IIRC an IRC server costs about $5 / month What's the cost of an SQL server?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:01 pm 

RAENORTH wrote:
scrasea wrote:

Yup ... he dun good, that lad.

Sounds like someone is trying to make sure he is appropriately covered in your will in case anything untoward should happen to you. Never know when you might "accidentally" meet an end like Vince Foster, Ron Brown, or William Colby. Or don't you have anything similar to "friends of Bill" over there on your side of the Pond?
}:-]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:33 pm 

mmatis wrote:
Or don't you have anything similar to "friends of Bill" over there on your side of the Pond?

Dr David Kelly might have had the definitive answer to that one. Too late to ask him now though. Some certainly think he was a "friend" of Bliar. Case closed for 70 years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:51 pm 

I had a blogger outlet way back. It was deleted after going inactive for a good while. I have a Tripod.com website I set up in the ancient days and it still stands.

Some people (aka Google) do business the post-normal way. I also read that Google is getting pissed off at Facebook. That's good 'cause pissed-off people make mistakes and do stupid things.

PDT_Armataz_01_25

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:07 am 
Site Admin

DaveEvans wrote:
IIRC an IRC server costs about $5 / month What's the cost of an SQL server?

A lot ... about $40 pm.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next