Change font size
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:57 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 32 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: The Old Swan Manifesto
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

Following Wittering from Witney's recent observations on the seminar in London, I now have Dave Barnby's speaking notes for the speech he gave there, explaining why a referendum on leaving the EU is unwinnable. To take part in one would be a betrayal of future generations, he says.

This very much underlines WfW's pessimism, although it is already clear that we cannot rely on the political classes and their strategies if we are going to achieve change.

Last year, however, we were also saying that the political party model, of seeking change through the ballot box, stands little chance of immediate success. To promote our cause, I argued, we first need a "movement" rather than a political party. This is the entity most likely to succeed in blazing a trail.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Old Swan Manifesto
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:01 pm 

As I am local I would be interested in showing my face there but only as an observer really. I have no experience and I would not like to take up a space that could be used by a more serious and experienced person.

Does that sound a bit too non-committal? Er, I'll make a firmer decision nearer the time...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:15 pm 

Like Techno I would like to show my face (my parents only live 10 mins or so away from Harrogate so I can make a weekend of it). However I'm not sure what I could contribute and don't want take up space of someone else more able than I.

However if that's not a problem then put me down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:16 pm 

Quote:
I have no experience

No-one has experience in revolution. Though it may be better to call this political evolution rather than revolution.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:22 pm 

SandyRham wrote:
Quote:
I have no experience

No-one has experience in revolution. Though it may be better to call this political evolution rather than revolution.

I think that desperate times need desperate measures, so in this one instance revolution might be more appropriate.

I live nowhere near Harrogate and I also have no experience of this but, if at all possible, include me in . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:33 pm 

Yeah, we;re robbing the public blind and bankrupt the entire nation for future generations.
What's that for an argument...

Foxtrot Oscar to the lot of them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:59 pm 

What a very excellent idea!
There should be no shortage clear thinking if many of the commenters here are able to make it & those of us who can should make the effort; something which age and political naïveté prevent me from doing.
It is most heartening to see some real resistence beginning to take shape....this acorn deserves to flourish as a giant oak.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:37 pm 

I think "The Old Swan Manifesto" sounds great. It has a very English feel and as such is a very much more appealing than NGO or EU multi-annual legislative framework initiatives and with names like Transforming the Future.

I can imagine Thomas Paine or Samuel Adams quaffing a beer in toast to The Old Swan Manifesto.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:39 pm 

Quote:
Whimsically, I suppose we could call this the Old Swan Manifesto. If the Bilderbergers can name themselves after a hotel, I don't see why we can't use the same device, even if the Old Swan doesn't have a sinister ring to it.

Swanvestites!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:43 pm 

At least The Old Swan is easy to get to. :)

Not sure what I have to offer though. I'll decide closer to time, sure I can get a lift even if it means I arrive about 7am.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:06 pm 

Two questions:

Are suits mandatory?
Will there be an open bar?

Actually I think I'd like to go along to this, despite being as politically naïve as anyone else and having a temper to boot. In fact, the more naïve, perhaps, the better. I don't think we'd want our future to end up yet again dominated by a bunch of empty suits and prestige types just because they consider themselves wordly wise and knowing. Revolution - restoration - only comes about through people who haven't been told what they can't do.

[RN Fan 1A]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:08 pm 

Oh, Dr. N - what a beautiful picture- and how I'd love to be there. Indeed I appreciate the title of your manifesto; and where and when else should the fight for freedom find its roots.

Presently can't see my way Home (to Harrogate) this summer; but you've just given me one more reason to try.

btw, my mother saw the german bomb fall on the Majestic... that is she who always made the Marsellaise ring out across a far distant hilltop dubbed "Lindisfarne"; that is she who later died one July 14th.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:32 pm 

I really wish you all success, but this is a step too far for me, both physically (from the south coast) and metaphorically, as I fear that apathy will prove the biggest enemy.

The Chartists were borne out of very different times. Even though we are being ripped of and deceived by the government(s) who are supposed to protect us, we are not dying of starvation, or living in utter squalor. Many UK citizens are living in idle luxury compared with the lot of our Chartist antecedents.

All the best,

Derek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:34 pm 

I'm going to have to leave this to all of you, but I'm with you all the way. Only wish I could be there to support you all. I'm sure you'll manage much better without my addled brain but I'd love to be a "SWANVESTITE"!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:14 pm 

Oh yes, forgot to mention in my last post...

Swanvestites is good. :)

On the other hand...

Swanvestas might be inflammatory.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 32 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next