Change font size
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:35 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Warrior down
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:47 am 
Site Admin

Six British soldiers were missing and believed to have been killed after their Warrior MICV was hit by an explosion while they were on patrol in Helmand, reports the Reuters news agency.

The soldiers, five from the 3rd Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment and one from the 1st Battalion The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment, were on a mounted patrol when their vehicle was struck.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Warrior down
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:51 am 

Have you heard anything about possible Iranian Revolutionary Guard involvement in this?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am 

Terrible news,I was just thinking a few weeks back that it has been "quiet" for a while and then this.We need out of this opium war fast.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:52 pm 

No doubt we'll pull out as soon as soon as it is 'politically expedient'. not sure about the price of political expediency, but it's likely to be high.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Brian wrote:
Have you heard anything about possible Iranian Revolutionary Guard involvement in this?

The Failygraph is speculating on this ... in an extremely ill-informed manner ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ngers.html

See my comments (Kubizek) below. There is absolutely no reason for suggesting that this is anything other than an in-house Taliban job.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

vincent wrote:
Terrible news,I was just thinking a few weeks back that it has been "quiet" for a while and then this.We need out of this opium war fast.

I did suggest in December that the MSM was keeping its powder dry, waiting for the 400 ...

http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... tures.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:12 pm 

It would probably be defamatory to express what I think about Cameron's crocodile tears at PMQ today. I would like to use words to describe this dangerous, vainglorious, gullible poltroon, which would mostly be actionable. If only I could afford the law suit, it would be good to see the arguments presented in an open court.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:14 pm 

Jazz606 wrote:
No doubt we'll pull out as soon as soon as it is 'politically expedient'. not sure about the price of political expediency, but it's likely to be high.

Unfortunately that high price is borne by our forces and their grieving families. The real culprits will pay no price but will be rewarded with gold-plated pensions, honours and sinecures.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Shakassoc wrote:
It would probably be defamatory to express what I think about Cameron's crocodile tears at PMQ today. I would like to use words to describe this dangerous, vainglorious, gullible poltroon, which would mostly be actionable. If only I could afford the law suit, it would be good to see the arguments presented in an open court.

Dannatt is the bigger shit in my view ... left to him, the troops would have been in Piranhas (FRES) and slaughtered in far greater numbers .... Yet he is cited thus by the Failygraph:

Quote:
Former chief of the general staff Lord Dannatt says the deaths of six soldiers is a matter of "great sorrow and sadness" but insists that Britain must see the Afghan mission through.

Yet the inadequacy of the British counter-IED programme is largely his responsibility. The culvert bomb is a known weapon, difficult to counter, but by no means impossible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:28 pm 

RAENORTH wrote:
Shakassoc wrote:

Dannatt is the bigger shit in my view ... left to him, the troops would have been in Piranhas (FRES) and slaughtered in far greater numbers ....

I'm sure degrees of culpability and excremental-size comparisons could be the subject of interesting and productive debate. However, the final responsibility rests with the individual who sent them and keeps them there, which are political rather than military decisions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:32 pm 

RAENORTH wrote:
Shakassoc wrote:

Dannatt is the bigger shit in my view ... left to him, the troops would have been in Piranhas (FRES) and slaughtered in far greater numbers .... Yet he is cited thus by the Failygraph:

Quote:
Former chief of the general staff Lord Dannatt says the deaths of six soldiers is a matter of "great sorrow and sadness" but insists that Britain must see the Afghan mission through.

Yet the inadequacy of the British counter-IED programme is largely his responsibility. The culvert bomb is a known weapon, difficult to counter, but by no means impossible.

A military peacock, but no Nelson. More like an Argie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:11 pm 

I actually read this before seeing that the six unfortunates in a Warrior had perished at the hands of "the Taliban". Worth a read in my view.

It would seem that chickens are indeed coming home to roost. From anecdotal things I've heard from recently retired RAF mechanics the state of the TriStars could be likened to the Lancaster "rivets in formation" - but in the TriStar case a cloud of aluminium hydroxide dust retained by lots of paint seems more appropriate...

It seems unlikely that any of the wrongs perpetrated by our public servants can be righted short of mutiny or revolution.

The idea that our service folk are paying for their own tickets to Afghanistan strikes me as well, bizarre at best?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:09 pm 

The Americans are engineering out the threat of culvert bombs in Southern Afghanistan.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Brian wrote:
The Americans are engineering out the threat of culvert bombs in Southern Afghanistan.

Very clever ... thanks for the link.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:57 pm 

Re. engineering out the threat of culvert bombs - Wisconsin soldier invents device to foil bombs. Having read the link it seems as though a soldier came up with a simple practical way of solving a serious problem. They wouldn't allow that in our army oh dear me no.

I bet if TopGear put out a national competition for a competent troop carrier the petrolheads would come up with something good and cheap very quickly.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next