Change font size
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Reynold's News
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

I'm going to spend some time at Bradford University this afternoon, reading copies of Reynold's News from 1940. This important newspaper was, at the time, owned by the Co-operative Society, and reflected a strand of left-wing which is rarely given much of an airing today.

One of the reasons it has been airbrushed out of history is that there are only two complete collections in the country (and, therefore, the world). One is in Hendon, and the other in Bradford, on my doorstep. I hope thus to revive some of the material. Needless to say, I shall be out of play for a few hours.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Reynold's News
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:22 pm 

I suppose I'm one of the rather few here who remember seeing Reynold's News...I may even have read a page or two, can't remember.
I do remember that it was pretty popular so it must have had good circulation.
Also remember Picture Post & my favourite, Lilliput, which had some brilliant contributors both literary & graphic...including Gerald Kersch:
Quote:
Quotes:

"Now, you mummy's darlings, get a rift on them boots. Definitely shine em, my little curly-headed lambs, for in our mob, war or no war, you die with clean boots on."

"I can't believe in the God of my Fathers. If there is one Mind which understands all things, it will comprehend me in my unbelief. I don't know whose hand hung Hesperus in the sky, and fixed the Dog Star, and scattered the shining dust of Heaven, and fired the sun, and froze the darkness between the lonely worlds that spin in space."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:58 pm 

Quote:
RAENorth wrote "........The establishment has claimed the victory for its favoured elite,..........."

They're still at it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Jazz606 wrote:
Quote:
RAENorth wrote "........The establishment has claimed the victory for its favoured elite,..........."

They're still at it.

That's the point ... although it is a very old story, the lessons are very current. The establishment will always write history to support its own agenda.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:44 am 

Just thinking out loud.

For example, MSM today selling us "consensus" on climate change (energy security) the top award winning climate blogs tell us the opposite is true.

http://cbullitt.wordpress.com/2012/02/2 ... consensus/

Future fact based historic research will be impossible without the blog sphere.

This calls for secure long term data protection of blog content.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:12 am 

Quote:
As such, it conveys its own distortions but is probably more representative of what the bulk of people were thinking - and hugely influential as well...

That this thinking struck a deep chord with the population is almost certainly proven by the result of the 1945 election, which provided a major mandate for the social left-wing reformers and their ideas, and came as a complete shock to the elite-structured establishment of the time.

How often does it need to be said - 'Never believe your own propaganda...'? The elite may have done a competent job in fighting the war, but completely failed to understand the public mood...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:57 am 
Site Admin

DodgyGeezer wrote:
Quote:
As such, it conveys its own distortions but is probably more representative of what the bulk of people were thinking - and hugely influential as well...

That this thinking struck a deep chord with the population is almost certainly proven by the result of the 1945 election, which provided a major mandate for the social left-wing reformers and their ideas, and came as a complete shock to the elite-structured establishment of the time.

How often does it need to be said - 'Never believe your own propaganda...'? The elite may have done a competent job in fighting the war, but completely failed to understand the public mood...

I have become convinced that Churchill lost the 1945 election in 1940. The issue turned on "war aims" which had been the main area of contention in 1940 and which Churchill resolutely refused to set out. That refusal was delivered in the 20 August speech on "The Few", and thus became the speech that lost Churchill the election.

The point, of course, was that in addition to being a war leader, Churchill was also a politician and had his own domestic front to fight. The war was expected then to come to an end in 1942, whence Churchill undoubtedly wanted to lead the nation in the ensuing peace. As the victories then mounted, he believed that his reputation as a war leader would carry the day, all on the back of his mantra "Empire, King and Country".

In the 1945 General Election, he chose to campaign with "Give us the tools, and we will finish the job", the slogan he had minted in February 1941. But, on 5 July, the people rejected the old man, his Empire and his status quo. They wanted a New Jerusalem and gave the tools to the Labour Party which was campaigning under the slogan "And now win the peace", with posters using Churchill's trademark V-sign. Clement Attlee was swept into power.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:48 am 

This question of why he lost fascinated me too. Apparently he was perceived as wanting to deal with Hitler and then deal with Stalin who he said, quite rightly, was worse than Hitler. So Labour got around the vast numbers posted overseas and said, "if you want be home by Christmas vote Labour".

It isn't in the histories but my uncle and others confirmed it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

SandyRham wrote:
This question of why he lost fascinated me too. Apparently he was perceived as wanting to deal with Hitler and then deal with Stalin who he said, quite rightly, was worse than Hitler. So Labour got around the vast numbers posted overseas and said, "if you want be home by Christmas vote Labour".

It isn't in the histories but my uncle and others confirmed it.

This is an urban myth. The total service votes cast was considerably less than the Labour majority. Thus, even if every single serviceman had voted Labour, it still of itself does not explain the victory.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:30 pm 

And the relatives? How many wouldn't have had a relative in the Forces??

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

SandyRham wrote:
And the relatives? How many wouldn't have had a relative in the Forces??

Are you now saying that Labour also got around the vast numbers of people in the UK who had relatives posted overseas and said, "if you want them home by Christmas vote Labour"?

If not, what is it that you are asserting?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:15 pm 

Quote:
Are you now saying that Labour also got around the vast numbers of people in the UK who had relatives posted overseas and said, "if you want them home by Christmas vote Labour"?

Yup just that. You were saying it was regarded as the Toff's war.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

SandyRham wrote:
Quote:

Yup just that. You were saying it was regarded as the Toff's war.

Evidence? Although I have not studied the 1945 election campaign in any great depth, I have not come across anything that suggest that demobilisation rates and priorities were an election issue. As far as I understand it, the rules had been settled long before the election.

This is perhaps more germane ...

It seems likely that the result of the 1945 general election could have been predicted long in advance. During the opening months of World War Two the opinion polls showed a Conservative lead. But when polling was resumed in June 1943, Labour were ahead of the Conservatives by 10 percent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/ ... n_01.shtml

This seems to confirm that sentiment had turned well before the election ... in between 1939 and 1943. The events of 1940 are a good place to start looking.

This is also of some interest ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peoples ... 0963.shtml

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:47 pm 

The lack of quick demobilisation may also have played a part in the Labour victory....remember the RAF 'mutiny' that they would dearly like to forget.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

permanentexpat wrote:
The lack of quick demobilisation may also have played a part in the Labour victory....remember the RAF 'mutiny' that they would dearly like to forget.

I don't agree - I don't see any evidence that demobilisation issues played any significant part in the election. That was a short-term concern, when sentiment was focused on the much bigger issue of managing the peace.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next