Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:24 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Après moi la révolte?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Despite the hubris (or because of it?), The Boy is facing a gathering of the clans over his U-turn. "Right wing Tory MPs", we are told, "were due to meet in Westminster to plot how to make clear their unhappiness ahead of a statement by Mr Cameron in the Commons tomorrow".

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Après moi la révolte?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:22 pm 

There is one benefit though, it gives the impression with the electorate that The Boy doesn't have a backbone. So reinforcing the 'cast iron' reputation. Cameron's 'veto ' poll bounce is about to take a downward trajectory

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:59 pm 

I wonder how many Tory MPs (including Cameron) actually understand anything much about the EU. I assume that Hague and a few others have a very clear understanding and are deliberately deceitful.

In general, they give the impression of being like women in an abusive relationship. It doesn't matter how badly beaten they are or how much they are betrayed, they have a grumble and then go back for another dose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:13 pm 

comet wrote:
I wonder how many Tory MPs (including Cameron) actually understand anything much about the EU. I assume that Hague and a few others have a very clear understanding and are deliberately deceitful.

In general, they give the impression of being like women in an abusive relationship. It doesn't matter how badly beaten they are or how much they are betrayed, they have a grumble and then go back for another dose

The difference is that it is we, the hoi polloi, who get beaten up, time after time!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:49 pm 

From the linked DM piece.

Quote:
Tory MPs last night accused Mr Cameron of backtracking in order to ‘appease’ his Liberal Democrat deputy Nick Clegg, who was infuriated by his tough stance last month.

No doubt Clegg was infuriated but that is irrelevant,Cameron would have appeased anyhow,he had no intention of being obstuctive long term,he had his fleeting moment and now it has gone,...and is in fact starting to implode on him spectacularly.

It seems Tory denial extends to the leader of the MEPs too

Quote:
Martin Callanan said: ‘There is no doubt that the Government’s position has altered since the December summit.

‘I blame a combination of appeasing Nick Clegg, who is desperate to sign anything the EU puts in front of him, and the reality that this pact is actually quite hard to prevent.’

There is that irrelevant "appeasement" bit again,but the second bit is interesting.He uses the word "pact" not Treaty and more or less says that they cannot stop it anyway...some veto that was then,and his esteemed iron leader has turned into a lump of jelly at the first whiff of grapeshot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:43 pm 

A good war would be a useful distraction for Dave.

Wooder if the Argies could oblige again?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... lands.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:01 pm 

Just heard the punch and judy show in the Commons between Milliband and Cameron,Cameron claiming he vetoed the fiscal Treaty and Milliband pointing out that Cameron had done a U turn on allowing the use the EU institutions on his non extistant veto and that what was coming now was a Treaty, Cameron merely countering with a question...would Milliband have signed the Treaty?....Or is that a non Treaty,I am getting confused now PDT_Armataz_01_22.

Anyone outside the loop would not have made sense of any of it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:20 pm 

Flashman said:
Quote:
Oh dear me no! He's of the generation brought up to despise the bravery and patriotism behind the Charge of the Light Brigade-though his own campaigns are not even that well planned!

No. Jelly-Bean Dave's French is surely no better than mine; he'd appease the Argies and do another u-turn... translating
Quote:
Après moi la révolte?
as "After me, Revolting Eggs."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:52 pm 

To blame "the Boy" or even the Infant Miliband for our EU woes, is to ignore the elephant in Whitehall.
Cameron has been skilfully manipulated by the civil service mandarins in Whitehall, who are the real ogres behind this debacle.It might be argued that Blair managed to manipulate these mandarins to promote his own aims (which, evil though they were, were not very different from theirs), but in Cameron they found their perfect puppet.

The Sir Humphreys of the FCO, apart from being, almost without exception, totally committed to the European Project, are, in their own opinion, never wrong. They may, on the surface, appear to be urbane and intelligent, but they are also ruthless, autocratic and deeply contemptuous of the hoi polloi, or indeed anyone who has the temerity to question their wisdom. Moreover, unlike politicians, where Ministers come and go and the price of failure is often dismissal, the unelected mandarins are virtually unsackable and the price of failure is often promotion.

Great, therefore, must have been the relief in Whitehall when instead of Blair, who was as intelligent, ruthless, conceited and self confident as themselves, or Brown, who was already bent upon self destruction, along came Cameron. Here was a young inexperienced politician, promoted well beyond his ability, driven by an overwheening ego and ambition, but also desperate to be popular. The days of "Yes Prime Minister" had arrived.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:24 pm 

"It's outside EU law because I made it outside EU law."

*sigh*

Until shade is gone, until water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the Last Breath. To spit in Oblivion's eye on the Last Day. Until all bonds are broken. Until the last embrace of the Mother welcomes me home.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:03 pm 

Flashman wrote:

Wooder if the Argies could oblige again?

My money was on an invasion of Iran, but maybe we'll get both for a Brucie bonus.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:06 pm 

David Parker wrote:
To blame "the Boy" or even the Infant Miliband for our EU woes, is to ignore the elephant in Whitehall.
Cameron has been skilfully manipulated by the civil service mandarins in Whitehall, who are the real ogres behind this debacle.It might be argued that Blair managed to manipulate these mandarins to promote his own aims (which, evil though they were, were not very different from theirs), but in Cameron they found their perfect puppet.

Douglas Carswell has been arguing something along these lines on his website.

I've no doubt that a significant factor dragging us further into the EU has always been the Civil Service.

However, Conservative policy on the EU (prattling about reform but ruling out leaving) has always been either naive or dishonest. It looks to me like full commitment but having to make fraudulent gestures to keep a large proportion of their supporters on board, basically stringing them along with a pack of lies. Look at their behaviour this parliament,

As for Cameron, I don't get the impression his actions in dealing with any of this are referenced to a set of principles, just soundbites and gestures and whatever is needed to muddle through without rocking the boat, and that pretty much goes for the Parliamentary Conservative Party as a whole. Cameron either doesn't know what he's doing and really hasn't thought about any of this (they had 13 years in opposition to think about it) or he's a shyster.

It won't do to blame all this on Civil Servants.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

comet wrote:

It won't do to blame all this on Civil Servants.

Agreed ... when the chips are down, the Serpents do as they are told.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:21 pm 

Its got to be at least 50/50 or even higher that the mandarins are to blame .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Robin wrote:
Its got to be at least 50/50 or even higher that the mandarins are to blame .

Why blame the Serpents when you can blame the masters?

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next