Change font size
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:46 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: False alarms
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

There is a certain amount of hyperventilation on the blogosphere, accompanied by a significant number of e-mails in my inboxes, drawing my attention to strikes and unrest in Italy (and especially Sicily), with suggestions that we could be looking at the start of a revolution.

However, before drawing too many conclusions from current events, it is always a good idea to look at the recent past - as in the second of the "cuts" above: that is Italy in December 2007.

The point is that industrial unrest is a standard background feature of Italian politics – it is easier to record the periods when there are not major strikes in that benighted country. That does not in any way indicate that great political changes are afoot.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: False alarms
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:52 pm 

I'll bet Berlusconi is howling with laughter.
A technocrat takes over who obviously doesn't have a clue as to who needs paying off to run the country.
:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:26 pm 

Having worked for an Italian Company for the last 20 plus years and spending about 6 months a year in Italy I cannot remember a action which disrupted our small town where I live as much as this one is doing. Normally industrial action in Italy affects a sector ( or region ) of society, but for the first time in 20 years our local gas station has run out of gasoline and diesel.
Fortunately for me, I have a methane/gasoline car and I get my methane from a local farmer ( for those of you in England, how I love the life in Italy and the ways they invent to beat the tax man ) who makes his own from animal waste, the cost to me, for 0.25 pence I will get the same mileage from methane, as a gallon of petrol.
There is a lot of "fat cats" in Italy but as usual, the political classes don't see them, I suppose it is easier to get you hand in the pocket of the man in the pub than it is to tax the million pound a year bank manager who has finance you, or your father in law, to buy the families wind turbines.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:44 pm 

Thanks for that NTB.
Could all our expats report what they are hearing in the village/whatever?
We can be sure that in the UK if we hear anything at all it will be heavily sanitized.
I agree that mostly what we are seeing is teat-bleaters, there don't seem to be any revolutionary movements yet. Could the Spanish Indignados go that way??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

SandyRham wrote:
Thanks for that NTB.
Could all our expats report what they are hearing in the village/whatever?
We can be sure that in the UK if we hear anything at all it will be heavily sanitized.
I agree that mostly what we are seeing is teat-bleaters, there don't seem to be any revolutionary movements yet. Could the Spanish Indignados go that way??

You can't rely on such a small sample, unfortunately.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:15 pm 

Maybe we'll see more speed cameras scorched from the tyre and petrol treatment?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:03 pm 

Quote:
The future is probably going to be this, or something very similar. In many respects, this is already happening.
....would you do a short elaboration on the happening bit, Richard

Sandy.......Cant help much because I am in a pretty remote area. Apart from one thing (see below*) you wouldn't know there is a crisis...still driving like crazy...the eateries are family-full Sunday lunchtime...Life goes on here but I'm sure it's different in the cities where one reads of strikes & protests.

* Clearly, the Police & GNR who are by nature polite but 'aggressive' have been told that they must pay for themselves...I can see no other reason for their sharply increased activity.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:30 pm 

ZH.....

Quote:
the one chart that truly captures the latent fear behind the scenes in Europe is that showing youth unemployment in the continent's troubled countries (and frankly everywhere else). Because the last thing Europe needs is a discontented, disenfranchised, and devoid of hope youth roving the streets with nothing to do, easily susceptible to extremist and xenophobic tendencies: after all, it must be "someone's" fault that there are no job opportunities for anyone.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/europes-scariest-chart

On a personal note,it seems Portugal has gone down the tax extortion route.My brother runs 3 bars in Portugal,and last year got a €25000 fine from the taxman for his accountant failing to complete 3 annual tax returns 1997-99(for which no tax was due being his first 3 years trading).Plus another €2500 for still owing the tax at year end despite agreeing and complying with a monthly repayment plan.

A business colleague of his recently closed down a restaurant/shop complex laying off 27 staff after being given a €25000 fine for selling cigarettes to an 15 year old girl acting on behalf of the local council.

Dont know about the unemployed youths, but Portuguese businessmen will probably be not far behind on the "discontented, disenfranchised, and devoid of hope " scale at this rate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

permanentexpat wrote:
Quote:
The future is probably going to be this, or something very similar. In many respects, this is already happening.
....would you do a short elaboration on the happening bit, Richard.

Simply put, in many different areas of activity, the people are withdrawing consent and, more and more, the government is having to resort to coercion. That in turn produces resentment, and more resistance, leading to a spiral of more coercion, more resentment and still more resistance. Eventually, we become ungovernable ... a bit like the Greeks are becoming. There is where revolution lies. Not the headline marchers, but the refuseniks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:27 pm 

I think the council tax demands will be coming again in April saying it is now due or to continue to pay by direct debit. How far can we withhold it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:55 pm 

British Army exercise to put down insurrection
http://www.prisonplanet.com/british-arm ... ction.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

Stuart wrote:
I think the council tax demands will be coming again in April saying it is now due or to continue to pay by direct debit. How far can we withhold it?

I am planning on paying it ... but only after I have been summonsed. Then I plan to refuse to pay the summons fee on the basis that it is excessive and therefore illegal.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]