Change font size
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 40 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Number four!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

The Many, Not the Few is (briefly) number four on the Amazon best-selling list, for books about the Battle of Britain – not bad for a book that is not yet published! They've still got the cover wrong, though, and it's 435 pages, not 256 as advertised.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Number four!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:18 pm 

Well done! Now I've got a publication date I'll go into my local bookshop and order one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:24 pm 

After reading this news, I've just been to Amazon and preordered a copy myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:41 pm 

Good stuff, I have some Christmas book tokens left over which I have earmarked for this book - will order from my local bookshop as soon as.

Slightly O/T, I spotted this 'review' in the Spectator of the Great Deception, this morning

http://www.spectator.co.uk/books/20713/ ... mess.thtml

and wondered if this was this the one that you referred to in the 2nd Edition as a "spectacularly jaundiced 'non-review'?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

TheBoilingFrog wrote:
Good stuff, I have some Christmas book tokens left over which I have earmarked for this book - will order from my local bookshop as soon as.

Slightly O/T, I spotted this 'review' in the Spectator of the Great Deception, this morning

and wondered if this was this the one that you referred to in the 2nd Edition as a "spectacularly jaundiced 'non-review'?

Ah! The Laughland knifing ...

Quote:
Most of this so-called ‘secret history’, indeed, has been gleaned from other, better books, such as Hugo Young’s well-written This Blessed Plot, and similar works on the same subject by other pro-Europeans like Charles Grant, François Duchêne and Andrew Moravcsik. Almost no original sources or archives are used, so by definition the information is already in the public domain, not secret. ... . The book is therefore an over-detailed meander through the well-known facts of Britain’s relations with the EU countries since the creation of the Coal and Steel Community in 1951.

We did wonder whether he had actually read the book ... and concluded that he had not ... but was simply pissed off because we hadn't been nice about his book.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:14 pm 

I will read it on kindle.Is the release date the same for the print and electronic copies.
Regards
John Lyon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:24 pm 

I often give books for Easter & Christmas presents. Is there any possibility of a discount if I order
6 or a dozen?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:26 pm 

RAENORTH wrote:
TheBoilingFrog wrote:

Ah! The Laughland knifing ...

Quote:
Most of this so-called ‘secret history’, indeed, has been gleaned from other, better books, such as Hugo Young’s well-written This Blessed Plot, and similar works on the same subject by other pro-Europeans like Charles Grant, François Duchêne and Andrew Moravcsik. Almost no original sources or archives are used, so by definition the information is already in the public domain, not secret. ... . The book is therefore an over-detailed meander through the well-known facts of Britain’s relations with the EU countries since the creation of the Coal and Steel Community in 1951.

We did wonder whether he had actually read the book ... and concluded that he had not ... but was simply pissed off because we hadn't been nice about his book.

Ah righto. On the back of the 2nd edition there's a quote from Rodney Leach from the Spectator whose comments seemed rather complimentary and this always puzzled me because it jarred with yours about the Spectator in the Foreword and Acknowledgements. Sorry, I hadn't discovered Laughland's 'knifing' until today - but it now makes sense. PDT_Armataz_01_34

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:30 pm 

It is a while since I read the book, but my recollection of it differs from the Spectator article. I may be a little forgetful but not that much. I must now get a new copy and check the details. I do not know where he got the Nazi bit from unless it is a reference back to Hitlers dream of a "united" Europe. Most odd!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:58 pm 

Thanks for the heads up. Off to Amazon for a pre-order.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:52 pm 

I really hope you will sell piles of books.
So I wish you all the success of the world.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:06 pm 

As the definition of stealing at the time was given by s.1 of the Larceny Act 1916, ie

"A person steals who, without the consent of the owner, fraudulently and without a claim of right made in good faith, takes and carries away anything capable of being stolen with intent, at the time of such taking, permanently to deprive the owner thereof"

are you absolutely sure that the history writers (especially those who spitefully omitted Dowding and Park from the 1941 Air Ministry booklet) intended "permanently to deprive" etc, just in case a reviewer with a grudge attempts revenge again with a claim that the history wasn't stolen but merely hidden under a pile of myths and fibs? :lol:

Good luck, I shall pre-order a copy at Amazon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:55 pm 

Hi Richard,

Are you planning on doing any author events (book readings). I've just opened my second bookshop and would be happy to host a book reading/signing down here in Somerset.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

jackanori wrote:
Hi Richard,

Are you planning on doing any author events (book readings). I've just opened my second bookshop and would be happy to host a book reading/signing down here in Somerset.

Most definitely ... would be delighted.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Brian wrote:
As the definition of stealing at the time was given by s.1 of the Larceny Act 1916, ie

"A person steals who, without the consent of the owner, fraudulently and without a claim of right made in good faith, takes and carries away anything capable of being stolen with intent, at the time of such taking, permanently to deprive the owner thereof"

are you absolutely sure that the history writers (especially those who spitefully omitted Dowding and Park from the 1941 Air Ministry booklet) intended "permanently to deprive" etc, just in case a reviewer with a grudge attempts revenge again with a claim that the history wasn't stolen but merely hidden under a pile of myths and fibs? :lol:

Good luck, I shall pre-order a copy at Amazon.

I'm quite sure it was deliberate ... politically In the "Peoples' War" of J B Priestley, there was to be a quid pro quo. The government of the day wanted the support of the people, but was not prepared to pay the price. Thus, it was very necessary to promote the technocratic view of the battle, and play down the part of the people.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 40 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next