Change font size
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:07 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: They cannot have it both ways
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:32 am 
Site Admin

Jean-Claude Mas, 72, founder of Poly Implant Prothese (PIP), has been arrested at the home of his partner in Six-Fours in the Var, south of France. He was taken into police custody just before 7am on this morning after police arrived The house was being searched by investigators. A deputy chief executive was also arrested at his home.

So we have the likelihood of criminal charges being preferred against this (French) man, for the sale of substandard goods, purporting to conform with the highest of EU standards, under the aegis of the French government.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: They cannot have it both ways
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:08 am 

There's no mention of this Guardian story, or the regulatory failure it implies, on the Guardian's "Europa: what has Europe ever done for us" microsite.

"The Left" has a noble tradition of euroscepticism, from Ernie Bevin to Austin Mitchell, via Hugh Gaitskell, Peter Shore, Michael Foot, Barbara Castle, Tony Benn, Bryan Gould and many others. But it's come to this, the Left's in-house journal shilling for the European Commission. (When the Telegraph, the Right's newspaper, did the same last year – "Watch EU civil servants at work" – it was in keeping with the Tory party's continuous infatuation with Bruxelles.)

Vive l'épuration sauvage!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:14 am 

I thought authority and responsibility de-coupled a while back??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Clarence wrote:
There's no mention of this Guardian story, or the regulatory failure it implies, on the Guardian's "Europa: what has Europe ever done for us" microsite.

I was thinking that ... is this another of those "very European successes"?

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:21 am 

I recall having the same thoughts about financial regulation. There are reams and reams of it, soon to be increased thanks to Brussels. You get a substantial sheaf of papers with meaningless gobbledygook every time you buy an insurance policy, unit trust etc.

When Prudent Gordon was introducing his marvellous "tripartite" system of regulation, I remember one of the top bureaucrats (of the FSA, I think) blandly saying that there would certainly be more financial failures. I thought "Why the hell are we paying you, then?"
Regulation was adding to the cost of every financial product but giving no guarantee. When the next financial failure occurred, I knew that the answer would be "more regulation".

Obviously there is a need for regulation but the rogues, like those who ruined Equitable Life, will always find their way around it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:25 am 
Site Admin

edward wrote:
I recall having the same thoughts about financial regulation. There are reams and reams of it, soon to be increased thanks to Brussels. You get a substantial sheaf of papers with meaningless gobbledygook every time you buy an insurance policy, unit trust etc.

When Prudent Gordon was introducing his marvellous "tripartite" system of regulation, I remember one of the top bureaucrats (of the FSA, I think) blandly saying that there would certainly be more financial failures. I thought "Why the hell are we paying you, then?"
Regulation was adding to the cost of every financial product but giving no guarantee. When the next financial failure occurred, I knew that the answer would be "more regulation".

Obviously there is a need for regulation but the rogues, like those who ruined Equitable Life, will always find their way around it.

This is where the balance needs to be redressed ... the regulators might lose their enthusiasm for excessive (and ineffective) regulation if they had to take some responsibility for their actions. That, of course, applies to MPs and MEPs. As it stands, they get a free pass.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:53 pm 

I hope they will be looking very closely at the records of the accreditation of this product.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:21 pm 

Despite all the rending of clothes and knashing of teeth I have yet to see ANY evidence of ANYBODY being actually harmed by this.

Bearing in mind the previous fraudulent breast enhancement scare by which American ambulance chasing lawyers extracted $25 billion and bankrupted Dow Corning before it was statistically proven there was no actual case we should treat this as an equally politically correct scare fraud uintil actual proof of damage and checked.

Compare and contrast this with the treatment of Wakefield for an MMR scare whcih was, slightly, stronger than all these PC frauds. The other obvious difference apart from his treatment is that his theory tended to make people less trusting in our beloved leaders whereas this, catastrophic warming & all the rest only hurt wealth creators and enhance the power of government parasites.

It would be at least buillions of times better to put effort into bringing Blair and all the other mass murdering, genocidal, organlegging fascist war criminals to a well deserved justice than locking up this decent elderly gentleman just because the bastatrds can.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:13 pm 

And in a few years' time Europe will protect us with an asteroid shield (hopefully not made of hooky silicone). :lol: Time to start digging.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]