Change font size
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Fantasy business
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:35 am 
Site Admin

It was British business, largely, which supported entry in the then "Common Market". The ostensible reason was that it would open up continental markets, but an equally important (if undisclosed) reason was the belief that the exposure of industry to European competition would help break the power of the unions.

On both counts, "business" was wrong. Joining the EEC did noting to boost exports, but merely opened the British market to the continentals – as well as severely damaging Commonwealth allies - and it was to take Thatcher in the 1980s before the power of the unions began to be tamed, quite independently of what was by then the EC and soon to become the EU.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Fantasy business
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:33 am 

This is probably the last time I'll get the chance before Christmas. So, Richard I wish you, your family and all those who follow you here, a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:56 am 
Site Admin

john in cheshire wrote:
This is probably the last time I'll get the chance before Christmas. So, Richard I wish you, your family and all those who follow you here, a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

:) I suppose, to remain in character, I should say "hah bumhug" or some such ... but I won't. Merry Christmas. Not so sure about the New Year.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:15 am 

RAENORTH wrote:
It was British business, largely, which supported entry in the then "Common Market". The ostensible reason was that it would open up continental markets, but an equally important (if undisclosed) reason was the belief that the exposure of industry to European competition would help break the power of the unions.

On both counts, "business" was wrong. Joining the EEC did noting to boost exports, but merely opened the British market to the continentals – as well as severely damaging Commonwealth allies - and it was to take Thatcher in the 1980s before the power of the unions began to be tamed, quite independently of what was by then the EC and soon to become the EU.

View full article here

l'Huhne will always adopt the position that makes the most money for himself or his friends. He has no concern for the welfare of the people he is supposed to serve. As Peter Schweizer would say 'THROW THEM ALL OUT'.

The only logical conclusion is a revolution. The only question in my mind, now we are in the digital age, is what form this revolution must take. I have for many years believed that this could only end with blood on the streets. Now I'm not so sure

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:21 pm 

"Showing about as much understanding for the political situation as he (Huhne) does climate change, he fails to realise that Tory sentiment is primarily driven by electoral considerations"

The factor of "electoral considerations" is I think still a weapon that has yet to be employed against our masters at Westminster effectively - I'm sure that it still has huge potential. But how to wield it?
It would be good to know that there are enough angry people in the UK who are politically savvy enough, and/or have sufficient clout to issue an 'ultimatum' in relation to one specific "power" that CAN be repatriated, namely, to stop the uncontrolled and regular drain of our money to the EU. Money that righly belongs to us (theft by the State), which would hugely benefit the economy to the tune of at least £40 Billion p.a. at a conservative estimate.
If Referism operated it would automatically be excluded by the electorate anyway, but in its absence there are still very sound reasons, moral, economic, political and democratic for saying via an ultimatum....... Enough!

"Either you withhold these payments from the EU in ?? 2012 OR ...........we ??

How such a threat can be given teeth is what the eurosceptic movement has yet to consider and work out together. Perhaps the issue will not come to a head until the Eurozone collapses by degrees and the economic fall-out is such that it concentrates the dull collective mind of the public that they are being well and truly shafted by the EU, and then, and only then, enough anger and pressure to reverse policy may eventually emerge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:13 pm 

Well for the IoD to be that sceptic is very good for our cause, after all these are all the business' that "benefit" most, as they are the largest ones. If even they are seeing the light, then the end game is on.

If that survey was done with small business', which are by far the largest employers, then I'd bet you'd have near 100 % wanting out. I've yet to meet a small businessman that doesn't actively hate the EU.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:35 pm 

I am not sure that "businesses" in general were ever that gung ho for the Common Market. It was mainly the big MultiNationals and the organisations like the CBI who pushed the agenda forward.

Small and medium sizes companies, I suspect, were much more ambivalent but just went with the flow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:00 pm 

First may I join in wishing Dr. North, his family and all the readers a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. May the good doctors health improve fast over this fun period.
I always thought the big companies favoured the EU because it was protectionist, who wants these small firms muscelling in with competitive prices showing the big boys how to sell. And they got away with it! The letter in the Failygraph the other day says it all. Funny though, days later Branson announced the move of his HQ to Geneva to save millions in tax.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

SouthendPaul wrote:
I am not sure that "businesses" in general were ever that gung ho for the Common Market. It was mainly the big MultiNationals and the organisations like the CBI who pushed the agenda forward.

Small and medium sizes companies, I suspect, were much more ambivalent but just went with the flow.

That's why I tend to put "business" in inverted commas. Certainly, the FSB, until it was taken over by the bad guys, was opposed to membership of the EU.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:06 pm 

The criticism of British business is correct, for example -

Quote:
At least, in its inability to understand European politics, however, "business" is consistent in getting things wrong

The reasons for this are many, some people would even go further and say the 'inability' includes business and not just European politics!

Some say the malaise goes all the way back to the days of the British Empire. For this was a captive market for British business who treated selling inferior goods to the Empire as a right.

As the Empire was diminished by independence for the junior partner countries involved so another cosy set-up was sought. Hence the enthusiasm for what became the EU.

But as Richard said British business did not understand what it was letting itself in for. The EU sees the UK as a market opportunity and not a business partner.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:31 pm 

I seem to remember, at the time of joining the EEC, that practically all British companies that mattered were already established on the mainland...it just made it easier for the less efficient to join in the fun.
My overriding feeling at the time was that we were betraying kith, kin & long-standing trading partners for a wll o the wisp future.
If the EU collapses or we leave, I have little doubt that those we betrayed would not welcome us back with open arms.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:05 pm 

As an example;

In the 1950/60s the British owned car industry was the largest exporter of motorized transport in the world,
today its industry ( not only motor vehicles ) is owned buy the third world, ( who are very very happy with the status quo) and its exports are all at the bottom of the lists, because the export stuff is made elsewhere! What British Industry ? Sack trolley manufactures ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:15 pm 

This is a riot and will cheer us all up. O'Leary really gives the EU a very funny and so well deserved bashing

Michael O'Leary at the Innovation Convention 2011 - Brussels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4HYSsrlcq8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

FU (Fed Up) wrote:
This is a riot and will cheer us all up. O'Leary really gives the EU a very funny and so well deserved bashing

White man speak with forked tongue ... who supported the Lisbon treaty in the Irish referendum?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:57 pm 

Quote:
FU (Fed Up) wrote:

White man speak with forked tongue ... who supported the Lisbon treaty in the Irish referendum?

You're not supposed to mention that!
Like Farage, he's a brilliant speaker & entertaining to boot. Says what folk want to hear so faults are forgiven.
Whatever which way, there's a gaping void between 'cheap' & 'inexpensive'.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next