Change font size
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: The road to war
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:51 am 
Site Admin

In his latest article, Ambrose makes the points that we all could have made, but choosing the analogy of a couple locked in a loveless marriage. Then he, Autonomous Mind, Zerohedge and The Daily Mail - twice - make the point about the increasing propensity to violence.

We are then reminded of Merkel's warning that euro failure threatens a thousand plagues. "No one should think that another half-century of peace and prosperity is assured," she said. But she has the matter backwards, Ambrose says. The euro itself has become an engine of destruction and cross-border rancour. Europe will not be happy again until this misguided experiment is shut down.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The road to war
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:43 am 

Quote:
As a construct intended to prevent a European War, it was therefore, intended to prevent the Second World War. It failed the moment Hitler came to power yet, despite that failure, in the post-Hitlerian wreckage of Europe, Monnet dusted off the same plans and applied them to preventing a war that was never going to happen.

Perhaps that is why it has achieved so much; the very thing it was supposed to guard against was sufficiently unlikely that the plan would never be tested. It hasn't had to be refined on an evolutionary basis to remain strong, relevant and welcome, it's just got more and more bloated over time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:06 am 

The military are often accused of fighting the last war. Sounds like the EU were organizing the last peace?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:38 am 

I notice the word 'War' cropping up more & more in comment about the EU, be it in the MSM or the blogosphere...completely unnecessary...dangerous scare tactics & I take very inkindly to the purveyors of such crap....Halloween madness can be the only explanation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:48 am 
Site Admin

gareth wrote:
Quote:
As a construct intended to prevent a European War, it was therefore, intended to prevent the Second World War. It failed the moment Hitler came to power yet, despite that failure, in the post-Hitlerian wreckage of Europe, Monnet dusted off the same plans and applied them to preventing a war that was never going to happen.

Perhaps that is why it has achieved so much; the very thing it was supposed to guard against was sufficiently unlikely that the plan would never be tested. It hasn't had to be refined on an evolutionary basis to remain strong, relevant and welcome, it's just got more and more bloated over time.

Good point ... it was very successful at keeping wild elephants off the streets of the major capitals as well.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:22 am 

A vast purple banana??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:33 am 
Site Admin

SandyRham wrote:
A vast purple banana??

Yes ... but no epidemic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:03 am 

Had that first WW II.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:29 pm 

Perhaps Merkel, being the artificially inseminated daughter of Herr Hitler and the sister of Eva Braun :) views history in the same way as her father…

That a lie repeated often enough, becomes the truth.

Of course, it's not at all ironic that I am quoting a conspiracy theory (aka lie) as being truth here :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Stephen Jenner wrote:
Perhaps Merkel, being the artificially inseminated daughter of Herr Hitler and the sister of Eva Braun :) views history in the same way as her father…

That a lie repeated often enough, becomes the truth.

Of course, it's not at all ironic that I am quoting a conspiracy theory (aka lie) as being truth here :)

This is a lie readily accepted by much of the eurosceptic community, too many of whom wish to believe that the intellectual foundation of the EU came from the Third Reich.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:47 pm 

So when the politicians can't agree, we get war and people, except politicians, get killed by the million. Now we have the politicians agreeing, and we still get trouble and strife and people are going to die. We can't win. We have the jaw, jaw, but still war war.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:26 pm 

Er...That nifty Greek poster of Merkel all Nazied up - carried prominently in the Mail story - does not say 'Public nuisance', it says 'Public danger'. A minor point, but a telling one I think. A nuisance is much less of a problem than a danger...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:02 pm 

To paraphrase John Archer's little motto:

"It was the Germans wot made me do it!"..........Greece, Portugal, Ireland, Italy et al.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:20 pm 

Quote:
Er...That nifty Greek poster of Merkel all Nazied up - carried prominently in the Mail story - does not say 'Public nuisance', it says 'Public danger'. A minor point, but a telling one I think. A nuisance is much less of a problem than a danger...

The ancient Greeks certainly used kindunos to refer to their imminent destruction by the Persians, more than a nuisance one feels. I wonder what the modern Greek nuances are. Would Al Capone have been described as a public kindunos?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

ppppp wrote:

Not at all ... the term "nuisance" has a precise legal definition, with certain categories of nuisance being considered life-threatening. Toxic waste in a watercourse used for drinking water supplies is, for instance, by (legal) definition a public nuisance.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]