Change font size
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:35 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Now read this
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:36 am 
Site Admin

A contribution from Lord Willoughby de Broke, via Helen. I'm going to be a little light on the blogging – only two or three short posts a day for a while. I really have to finish the index of the book, and it is proving harder and taking longer than anticipated.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Now read this
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:19 pm 

RAENORTH wrote:
I'm also up against a personal deadline now … a visit to the menders has been booked for the 6th November at the Nuffield Hospital in Leeds, and they open me up the next day...
View full article here

Make sure a member of your family is in constant attendance throughout your stay to ensure that you are properly fed and watered, that the area round your bed is kept clean and that you are properly attended to. Of course the Nuffield Hospital may be a noble exception; let's hope so. But you can't be too careful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:26 pm 

Yes, the book cover is great. As, no doubt, are the contents, Richard. At least you are on the last lap now and the index will no doubt be ready on time. As shakassoc said, keep a beady eye on the hospital staff. You can't always trust the buggers. And let's hope for a speedy recovery.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:33 pm 

I fully agree with the last comment, good luck and do look after yourself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:00 pm 

Think the Churchill quote on the cover is a typo. Sack the typists (or make them do up the index for you!!!) PDT_Armataz_01_22

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:40 pm 

Congrats on the book Richard. The covers look great. My only (slight) criticism is on the publisher's choice of picture... it looks like most of the menfolk are having a good gorp at the lady's rather over-exposed legs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:53 pm 

PeterS wrote:
Congrats on the book Richard. The covers look great. My only (slight) criticism is on the publisher's choice of picture... it looks like most of the menfolk are having a good gorp at the lady's rather over-exposed legs.

Over-exposed legs sells books. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:56 pm 

Good Luck on the 6th - Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery (OK -I know it's straight out of the Hallmark library of popular sayings - but sometimes cliches are cliches 'cos they is the best way of saying something)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:17 pm 

I feel all will go well for you Dr North, you're too pedantic too let a spell in hospital beat you. PDT_Armataz_01_34

I think Mrs EUref deserves a thumbs up too. PDT_Armataz_01_37

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

PeterS wrote:

I chose the picture. PDT_Armataz_02_11

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

rosie wrote:
I think Mrs EUref deserves a thumbs up too. PDT_Armataz_01_37

Yup!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:46 pm 

Shakassoc wrote:
Make sure a member of your family is in constant attendance throughout your stay to ensure that you are properly fed and watered, that the area round your bed is kept clean and that you are properly attended to. Of course the Nuffield Hospital may be a noble exception; let's hope so. But you can't be too careful.

Nuffield is a private hospital. I was under the impression that private hospitals were much better. I hope so because I started to pay for PMI after my dad was killed by an NHS hospital.

That Nuffield one in Leeds is new, opened in 2002. There must be a private health market in the north to make that kind of investment viable so more people are prepared to pay for private health treatment than the "left" like to admit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Techno wrote:
Shakassoc wrote:

Nuffield is a private hospital. I was under the impression that private hospitals were much better. I hope so because I started to pay for PMI after my dad was killed by an NHS hospital.

That Nuffield one in Leeds is new, opened in 2002. There must be a private health market in the north to make that kind of investment viable so more people are prepared to pay for private health treatment than the "left" like to admit.

I'm getting the best of both worlds ... the NHS is paying for it, under a scheme to reduce waiting lists. Bizarrely, the operation would have been done by the same surgeon, irrespective of hospital.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:03 pm 

Techno wrote:
Nuffield is a private hospital. I was under the impression that private hospitals were much better.
The NHS put me into a local private hospital last year for a minor op. The nursing staff were admirably professional, everyone always seemed to be smiling cheerfully, and the care could not have been bettered.
I wish I could afford private medicine myself. Private room, own bathroom, telly (firmly left off by me, since I did not wish to be propagandised while my defences were down) -- it was just great.

RAENORTH wrote:
Bizarrely, the operation would have been done by the same surgeon, irrespective of hospital.
Yes, the same was true for me. The consultants appear to spread themselves around all the local hospitals.
I'll be thinking of you on November 6th, Dr North -- lying there in the lap of luxury with all those attentive nurses at your beck and call.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:07 pm 

Whatever, Mr.& Mrs. EURef. Take very good care of each other & all will be well.
I never knew Richard was a pedant; honest :lol:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next