Change font size
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 8   [ 114 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: They know nothing else
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

More integration, more "Europe" bleats an ever-more desperate Barroso from the depths of the bunker. There is no "plan B". This is the only thing they know, their solution to every ailment, the remedy for every problem. They are imprisoned by their own ideology.

Even as the SS European Union capsizes and settles below the waves, they will be heard from within, tapping on the hull, screaming, "More Europe, More Europe". These people are domed.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: They know nothing else
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:51 pm 

Two quotes from Bruno Waterfield's piece:

Quote:
Barroso: “We are today faced with the greatest challenge our union has known in all its history. I think this is going to be a baptism of fire for a whole generation.”

Sounds like he is planning a little picnik in the Flanders.

Quote:
Mr Barroso is pressing ahead with the [Tobin] tax, which has strong German and French support, despite his own commission's impact assessment showing it would cut economic growth by 1.8pc and displace 90pc of derivative trading outside Europe.
The City of London, with 44pc of the world’s derivative trades and the lion’s share of financial transactions would be hardest hit, indicating that the EU and eurozone countries are prepared to contemplate measures that disadvantage British competitiveness to save the single currency.

At the same time he is also pressing ahead with the eurobonds, somthing the Germans hate, which means he is creating enemies both here and there. Interesting. From the British perspective, if this plan goes ahead, I would assume that a future "Leave the EU" campaign would not have any problem to be financed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:51 pm 

RAENORTH wrote:
These people are domed.

Doomed?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:00 pm 

I hope to God you are right. But there are so many useful idiots doing the EU's work. Over here in .ie land we have umpteen Quangos
all looking at "de-carbonisation". I know of people who proudly claim to have voted Yes to Lisbon. Twice.
And meanwhile the greeks are getting advice from the Irish government. What a joke the whole thing is.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0928/1224304858666.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:05 pm 

Mikgen,

A bit of triangulation:

This from Waterfield article
Quote:
Mr Barroso is pressing ahead with the [Tobin] tax, which has strong German and French support, despite his own commission's impact assessment showing it would cut economic growth by 1.8pc and displace 90pc of derivative trading outside Europe.

This from Lord Adair Turner on climate change:
Quote:
The moment of drama came in [Turner's] final slide, which was a graph from the famous work of Layard, which purports to find that above a certain level of wealth, more money does not make you happier. Turner's point was that even if the Climate Change Committee's prediction that their plans will not affect our lifestyles very much proved to be wrong and we did in fact become poorer, it would not make us less happy. There was, he said, "no doubt" about Layard's findings. The evidence, we were told was "overwhelming".

At best the belief has taken hold in corridors of power that people can be made poorer and without making them unhappy, that taxes can bring salvation and that States redistributing income is better than redistributing it by trade. At worst they are enacting legislation they know will damage the economy and our standards of living and are desperate to find ways to avoid the blame for it - demonise bankers to justify increasing living costs, demonise CO2 to justify increasing the cost of everything and to increase VAT revenue.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:06 pm 

Just like the Captain of the Titanic, as the ship sinks beneath the icy Atlantic, calling: "MORE ICE!"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

APL wrote:
RAENORTH wrote:
These people are domed.

Doomed?

Domed ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Dome

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:10 pm 

Please desist from publishing pictures of EU functionaries; they make me feel unwell...& we know all too well what they look like.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:54 pm 

Gareth,

That argument would work so much better ( PDT_Armataz_01_33 ) if the Eurocrats wouldn't demand a pay increase. PDT_Armataz_01_19

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:03 pm 

In the words of Jeremy Thorpe at the October 1974 General Election, "One more heave."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:34 pm 

They are pushing for a bank tax again.
The moment the EU has a financial resource which is independent from the contributions of the EU member states we will never get rid of them. A European tax, the bank tax, the fines for not following EU rules and regulations, all big threats to our freedom and independence.

We now have the possibility to simply stop paying our contributions.

The moment they have their own independent money resource we're screwed for a long time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:56 pm 

Dunno about the veracity of this Blog....but in essence serious people in Germany have had enough and are drawing up the draw bridge. as for France...total panic as they try to find a way to save their banks.......

http://hat4uk.wordpress.com/

But it makes a lot of sense.....if true then Barroso is whisteling in the wind and better start looking for another job.

PS am hearing Portugal is next....it's a basket case.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:18 pm 

FU (Fed Up) wrote:
Thank you for posting this link, which is new to me. I have just spent a happy half hour chortling away as I read the Slog's shrewd, acerbic commentary. I plan to visit the site daily from now on and I urge readers to do the same.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:52 pm 

I see that the Treasury have said that they will 'resist' the Tobin tax.

Not 'reject'. Just 'resist'. I presume that saying "We don't like this very much." will be about the best we can expect....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:14 pm 

Quote:
Either the YesMen have infiltrated Italy's biggest, and most undercapitalied, bank, or the stress of constant, repeated lying and prevarication has finally gotten to the very people who know their livelihoods hang by a thread, and the second the great ponzi is unwound their jobs, careers, and entire way of life will be gone.

I nominate that as the best opening sentence I have read.

Back on topic, more Europe, more leverage, more debt, more regulation, better five year plans and, of course, faster money printers. Watching Merkel trying to liquidate her own country to keep the fantasy alive and being held back by all that inconvenient democracy would be hilarious if she wasn't so serious about it. Before we all get too complacent about the current eurofest we should remember that Germany has a Constitution and a sort of functioning democracy. When the tide hits these shores we have nothing more than banksters and their puppets looking out for our well being. Oops. Perhaps we should save the mirth eh?

The chain reaction may well have started. No matter how bad it gets you can bet that the masters of the "beneficial crisis" are burning the midnight oil. It will all be different next time of course. The solution will be "global". Read UN. Never been in one, but they say survivors of a ship wreck always head for the largest floating object remaining.

As to loosing the "derivatives market" - I'm pretty sure you will all be calling for the death penalty for derivative traders when you figure out why a tiny economy like Greece could cause a global collapse. Welcome to what our overlords fear most and understand least (yes - those are trillions and not billions)

Tick, tock, tick, tock

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 8   [ 114 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next