Change font size
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:01 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Another day, another jailbird
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

So, Lord Taylor, the "token nigger" – as I heard him described by a very senior Tory MP (in whose party you can meet a degree of racism which would make the KKK blush) – is being banged up, with a sentence of 12 months. He will be out in three.

One cannot help but think that he is a token in more ways than one, other peers and MPs having been more adept at gaming the rules, without straying into overt criminality. On the other hand, Longrider brings us down to earth. "I am currently earning little more than minimum wage for a part time, dead-end job while I rebuild my life", he says. "I never forget that it is people like me who pay for these leeching bastards".

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Another day, another jailbird
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:16 pm 

I wonder how much it has already cost the taxpayer to get the little thief into 'clink' and how much it will cost to keep him in his 'suite' for 3 months?
Maybe it should be deducted from his 'expenses'?
PDT_Armataz_01_36

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

tux1952 wrote:
I wonder how much it has already cost the taxpayer to get the little thief into 'clink' and how much it will cost to keep him in his 'suite' for 3 months?
Maybe it should be deducted from his 'expenses'?
PDT_Armataz_01_36

Each new prison place costs £170000 to build and maintain, and the cost per prisoner per year is £41000 ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8640399.stm

Plus, of course, the cost of his trial. It would have been a lot cheaper to have let him keep the money and say nothing.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:19 pm 

Perhaps (real) community service might be an option…chain gang??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

tux1952 wrote:
Perhaps (real) community service might be an option…chain gang??

I think he argued for Community Service ... isn't that what the Lords is supposed to be? Perhaps we put people in the Lords instead of prison.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:37 pm 

Well, at those prices we could put them through Eton and Oxford and get a better class of crook. Or not.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:13 pm 

Picking up on prison costs, we outsource to cheaper countries very many jobs previously done in the UK in expensive UK buildings and UK labour rates. Often the service is far worse despite the cost saving overhead.

The one which sits up and begs for outsourcing is prisons. Here Paraguay, Nigeria, Thailand, Somalia, Rwanda, do a much better job (as so few wish to return) at a much cheaper price. Certainly under £1000 a year per prisoner.

We need to cut Government expenditure. This is the way to go.

As regards Lord Taylor of Warwick, Andrew Pierce has a clear (researched view).
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... party.html

He played The Christian card and Bible card to the limit when he sought to be Chairman of The BBC. He played up his mother's credentials (as a strong believer). He knew stealing was wrong. OK he had five jobs (according to him) to make ends meet, but he seemed a careerist seeking Ministerial office, always going AWOL if the Christian cause needed a stand in Parliament or the media and it was against Cameron's fad of the day.

Of course others stole just as much and more. Of course they have got away with it. But it is not right.

Apart from this expenses' matter, he really was headed for a Home Office or Law Office job under Cameron.

Let us hope he learns, repents and comes out ready to atone.
Hard to see how he will get work as a barrister now.
Maybe a job at FIFA ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:18 pm 

BBC News coverage of FIFA corruption is outdoing BBC News coverage of MPs corruption and Peers corruption by at least 5 to 1 this week.
They see it as more important and more interesting.
Incidentally Blatter at FIFA has reason to be furious with the media. After the very expensive hospitality they lavish on them prior to each Press Conference, they expect more friendly questions !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:19 pm 

Outsourcing prison places, well why not? Oh yeah, there's the human rights crowd, ECHR, rehabilitation, etc.

Still, it's a proposal I would support, especially in this supposed age of austerity.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:31 pm 

OnlineCowboy wrote:
Outsourcing prison places, well why not? Oh yeah, there's the human rights crowd, ECHR, rehabilitation, etc.

This opens the possibility that they would need to open offices next to the prisons in Rwanda etc. Even if we gifted them each a first class (single) ticket, it would still be cheaper and far more satisfying for us.....

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:49 pm 

@ Jonathan

I've been saying outsource the prisons to Nigeria / ex colonies in West Africa since the late 90's and I feel you're something of a Johnny come lately parvenue in this :) I know - it's been tried before, Bruce.

I would add that the prisoners should be released there and have to work locally long enough to fund their own flights back too.

Anyway, some gits at the Home Office stole my idea not so long ago - not even a thank you, ungrateful sods.

The outsourcing of retirement is underway - I did see a scheme to build Japanese retirement villages in The Gambia.

@Sceptical Steve
Yeah, the idea that we could send some Home Office officials out there at the same time - win, win.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:30 pm 

It's a shame it's only going to be 3 months and not the 12 months handed down. What a nonsense sentencing is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:13 pm 

I'd still rather see the bastard working on a chain gang…along with a few others…cleaning the hard shoulder of the M25 …would keep 'em busy for a few months.
PDT_Armataz_01_42

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

tux1952 wrote:
I'd still rather see the bastard working on a chain gang…along with a few others…cleaning the hard shoulder of the M25 …would keep 'em busy for a few months.
PDT_Armataz_01_42

Why the hard shoulder?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:06 pm 

RAENORTH wrote:
tux1952 wrote:
PDT_Armataz_01_42

Why the hard shoulder?

I s'pose the suffering would last longer than if they were doing the fast lane…

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next