Change font size
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: The verdict of history
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:12 am 
Site Admin

"It is this single-minded pursuit of the irrelevant by the self-important that constitutes the greatest catastrophe of our time" - Richard Fernandez writing in Pajamasmedia.

When historians look back on the first decades of the 21st century, he writes, they may conclude that the political and economic crisis that swept over the world was the direct result of decades of resource misallocation driven by political objectives. They will look back on the drilling bans, environmental edicts which have shut down agricultural areas, the massive entitlement expansions and quests for carbon sequestration and ask: what were the political leadership thinking?

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The verdict of history
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:52 am 

"Resource misalloction" is a very kindly way of saying "government taking the people's money to, no matter the programme's nominal purpose, pay government workers and their friends". The only solution is to cut back the size and therefore power of government to no more than 20% of the economy, starting with the government's propaganda arm, the BBC.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:55 am 
Site Admin

neilcraig wrote:
"Resource misalloction" is a very kindly way of saying "government taking the people's money to, no matter the programme's nominal purpose, pay government workers and their friends". The only solution is to cut back the size and therefore power of government to no more than 20% of the economy, starting with the government's propaganda arm, the BBC.

Cutting back the size and therefore power of government is your objective. How you go about achieving that is your solution. So far, we seem to be long on objectives and short on solutions.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:00 pm 

We count only as bits of paper in a ballot box.
We count if taxes are collected.
We are counted when brought back from some far off land in a box.
Other than that, we do not count save for being poisoned, starved, and injunctioned.

We do not count - but we feel;
Anger, pain, suffering, deceit, theft, and rebellious.

PDT_Armataz_01_40

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

DerekReynolds wrote:
We count only as bits of paper in a ballot box.
We count if taxes are collected.
We are counted when brought back from some far off land in a box.
Other than that, we do not count save for being poisoned, starved, and injunctioned.

We do not count - but we feel;
Anger, pain, suffering, deceit, theft, and rebellious.

PDT_Armataz_01_40

We count also when we stand together and refuse to be treated as numbers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:40 pm 

RAENORTH wrote:
long on objectives and short on solutions.

Dear friends,

In my work we have a saying, "A well-defined problem (or objective) makes the solution (almost) obvious..." Perhaps the objectives are too general or, to put it another way, perhaps they lack sufficient opperational detail. In my work, when this occurs, we decompose the objectives (i.e., break them down into smaller parts as René Descartes recommended) or we construct a "case scenario," narrating how things should work. These approaches sometimes help. As to the current objective of not being treated as mere numbers, perhaps a useful approach is to formulate how we would prefer being treated even if we believe that that should be obvious and not need to be stated explicitly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Pluck wrote:
RAENORTH wrote:
long on objectives and short on solutions.

Dear friends,

In my work we have a saying, "A well-defined problem (or objective) makes the solution (almost) obvious..." Perhaps the objectives are too general or, to put it another way, perhaps they lack sufficient opperational detail. In my work, when this occurs, we decompose the objectives (i.e., break them down into smaller parts as René Descartes recommended) or we construct a "case scenario," narrating how things should work. These approaches sometimes help. As to the current objective of not being treated as mere numbers, perhaps a useful approach is to formulate how we would prefer being treated even if we believe that that should be obvious and not need to be stated explicitly.

That is absolutely in accordance with problem-solving theory ... defining the problem clearly is 90 percent of the solution. The question we need to address, of course, is how do we achieve a solution ... the subsidiary question is whether there are enough of us who actually care enough to want (and are able) to dedicate our lives to achieving it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:16 pm 

The more I see and hear of Rep. candidate for US Presidnetial election 2012 Herman Cain, the more I like what he has to say.
He has a very simple approach to 'problem solving'

http://www.thehopeforamerica.com/play.php?id=8113

Unlike the Barmy One, Cain is a man of fewer words, but unfortunately lacks experience of being a "community organiser" PDT_Armataz_01_22

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:07 pm 

Richard, OT, but Pachauri has made this claim:

Quote:
In January 2010, leaders of the IPCC corrected the Himalayan error "three days from when it was pointed out," he said. Before then, "nobody among the elected officials had heard about it."

When the VK Raina report by the Indian ministry was published, Pachauri was approached by the media. His response:

Quote:
"I'd like to find out the secret source of this divine intervention... I don't understand the logic of this... I am puzzled where this magical science has come from... This is something indefensible." ... "IPCC studies only peer-review science. Let someone publish the data in a decent credible publication. I am sure IPCC would then accept it, otherwise we can just throw it into the dustbin."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:44 am 

In government, you have people making decisions which will not affect them personally if they go wrong -- in the narrow sense, they are spending other people's money, so they don't care how it turns out.

In business, of course, a bad decision can send you bankrupt.

Only if a decision is going to hit you in the (literal or figurative) hip pocket, will you bring your best rational judgement into play ahead of your emotional feeling about a situation.

Decisions made by people with no stake in the outcome are always prone to be bad ones.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]