Change font size
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:27 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: That narrative again
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

Fourteen riot vans were cruising the Stokes Croft area of Bristol last night – three of them Welsh, containing the finest thugs the principality can supply – the best part of a hundred police. Thus have community relations deteriorated, to the extent that the police only dare go into the area mob-handed, tooled up with sticks and riot gear.

All they are doing, of course, is picking at the sore – an army of occupation imposing their writ through violence and thuggery. The first riot was triggered by them, their intrusive, aggressive and ill-judged policing. The second riot was a protest against the police behaviour in the first. The main players, directly involved in the events say so, and even the Tesco spokesman agrees that it is not about the supermarket.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: That narrative again
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:42 pm 

Should the people of Stokes Croft appeal to Libya for help?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

In2minds wrote:
Should the people of Stokes Croft appeal to Libya for help?

They'll only get the shit bombed out of them by NATO if they do. The RAF would probably be only too pleased to oblige.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:02 pm 

Off topic, indeed off planet but my god it shows how deranged some people really are.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/04 ... n=top_news

The crazy Kiwis who are the source of this fuckwittery seem to have missed the 20 foot tall potted trees in the Abbey!

"To be fair, the couple have made great efforts to keep things green. Local and seasonal food will be served, flowers are from the Queen's estate, and Kate's ring is reported to be made from Welsh gold rather than minerals from an exploitative mine."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:38 pm 

Quote:
This was not a "small minority" of troublemakers – it was the larger part of the Stokes Croft community.

It was a small minority of troublemakers - they were wearing Police uniforms!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

gareth wrote:
Quote:
This was not a "small minority" of troublemakers – it was the larger part of the Stokes Croft community.

It was a small minority of troublemakers - they were wearing Police uniforms!

PDT_Armataz_02_11

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:02 pm 

Quote:
Then, in a classic example of why local newspapers are not worth buying, we have two offerings from the Bristol Evening Post

One thing that may be worth pointing out with the Bristol Evening Post is that it is a paper which apparently is staffed in the main by supporters of Bristol Rovers, and as such tends to slant its stories, both football and non-football wise, in favour of Rovers and against Bristol City.

I've had personal experience of this (as a supporter of neither) and the Bristol Evening Post has apologised on another occasion

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=36905

I remember once on a City forum they used to have a 'sticky' thread (I can't find it now) where they documented all the reporting bias of the 'Evil' Post (as they dubbed it), for example how crimes were reported differently depending in which area of the city it occurred in - their fans used to run a concerted complaints campaign.

My knowledge of Bristol isn't intimate enough to determine whether Stokes Croft is Rovers or City territory but should it prove to be 'City' it may go someway to explaining their shoddy reporting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

TheBoilingFrog wrote:
Quote:
Then, in a classic example of why local newspapers are not worth buying, we have two offerings from the Bristol Evening Post

One thing that may be worth pointing out with the Bristol Evening Post is that it is a paper which apparently is staffed in the main by supporters of Bristol Rovers, and as such tends to slant its stories, both football and non-football wise, in favour of Rovers and against Bristol City.

Fascinating. The problem of all this, of course, is that the original record never gets corrected, and becomes the account of record. Thus, once the narrative is established, it is almost impossible to change. You are not the only one who gets fed up with it though ...

http://neurobonkers.com/?p=2509

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:07 pm 

Just wait till they start to bring in cohorts of police from other countries in the EU to suppress unrest. It seems to me that events in Bristol have been just a test-run for the way things will be done in the future.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

john in cheshire wrote:
Just wait till they start to bring in cohorts of police from other countries in the EU to suppress unrest. It seems to me that events in Bristol have been just a test-run for the way things will be done in the future.

I don't see that happening ... there are plenty of home-grown thugs in uniform prepared to beat up their fellow citizens .. they don't need outside help and would not want to share the overtime.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:49 pm 

When the police turn up dressed like police, with their traditional hats and white gloves, there is no trouble and all is well. However, when they turn up in their paramilitary garb and their ridiculous high-viz jackets, they're treated with contempt. Who would have thunk it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

Davehannah wrote:
When the police turn up dressed like police, with their traditional hats and white gloves, there is no trouble and all is well. However, when they turn up in their paramilitary garb and their ridiculous high-viz jackets, they're treated with contempt. Who would have thunk it?

Yet they seem to have inordinate difficulty in understanding this simple point. It's not even penny-banger science. And one old copper told me he'd take away the radios from the beat coppers. That way, they would have to rely on the community for help and support ... forcing them work with people and to rely on them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:47 pm 

In his post Richard wrote about the twin needs to avoid a police state
Quote:
alert MPs and a robust, free media

Alert MPs... PDT_Armataz_01_14 PDT_Armataz_01_22

Fewer than ever (my experience in the last 12 months AND also the experience of the one alert MP I know).

Free Media...well here we are in luck. Most nationals will soon be handed out free in the street like The Metro or The London Evening Standard.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:30 am 

Lerts are important, one always needs a lert!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:12 am 
DaveEvans wrote:
Lerts are important, one always needs a lert!

:lol:

Dave, I first heard that one in the early 1980s and have never forgotten the occasion. It touched my funny bone at the time and had me in stitches. It was wholly unexpected and incongruously delivered in beautifully clipped English by a very staid matronly patrician lady who uttered it with superb timing. She turned out to be a real minx. Great fun to be around. She had it as, "Be alert! The country needs more lerts."

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next