Change font size
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:04 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Payback time
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

You should treat chancellors like stage magicians. Whenever they want you to look in any one direction, look around to see what they are trying to hide. Patrick Collinson in The Guardian is pretty sure he's got the measure of the beast, telling us that the real impact of the budget on families is the "pre-announced" tax and national insurance policies and decisions on Threadneedle Street.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Payback time
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:04 pm 

Collinson said:
Quote:
Successive Labour and Tory administrations have left income tax sacrosanct, dishonestly pledging to voters that they wouldn't raise tax, while reeling in more and more through NI and fiddling with personal allowances. Many, maybe most, taxpayers don't fully understand how NI works. Telling them the truth – that they pay 32% tax rather than 20% income and 12% NI – is a brave move by any chancellor.

Pity he, like a great many other media people, forgets or ignores Employer's contributions. That is a tax which reduces wages just the same as Employee's contributions, Income Tax and even Corporation Tax to an extent. The latter of which imo grants big businesses undue influence over Government policy through a 'no representation without taxation' mentality.

Regards the practice of pre-announcing things, here is a whopper. A brief look at the Treasury 2011 Budget Taxation overview (pdf):
Quote:
Alcohol Duties
1.21 Alcohol duty rates — Legislation will be introduced in Finance Bill 2011 to
increase the duty rates for all alcoholic drinks by two per cent above the rate of inflation (based on the retail prices index) as announced in the March 2008 Budget. The changes will take effect on 28 March 2011. This will add four pence to the price of a pint of beer, 15 pence to the price of a bottle of wine, and 54 pence to the price of a bottle of spirits.

It's easy to see why politicians go native once they are in Government. It is far easier to carry over previous policies than come up with your own. I can only surmise that the civil servants will throughly dissuade any incoming Chancellor from rocking the boat for the life of the plans set out by his predecessor. It is pathetic.

Strange that there is an Office of Tax Simplification yet beer duty is being split into 3 classes:
Quote:
Alcohol Duties
2.20 Duties on high and lower strength beers — Finance Bill 2011 will introduce a new additional duty on beers over 7.5 per cent alcohol by volume (abv) in strength at a rate of 25 per cent of general beer duty. A reduced rate equivalent to 50 per cent of general beer duty will be introduced for beers exceeding 1.2 per cent abv and not exceeding 2.8 per cent abv in strength. These changes will be effective from 1 October 2011. An updated Tax Information and Impact Note is available at Annex A.

The Labour Government went down that road with Road Fund Licence, splitting it up and making it ever more complicated with each Budget.

As for Us and Them:
Quote:
2.27 Subsistence Allowances paid to experts seconded to European Union bodies located in the UK — As announced in a Written Ministerial Statement made by the Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury on 16 December 2010 legislation will be introduced in Finance Bill 2011 to create an income tax exemption where subsistence allowances are paid to experts seconded to EU bodies located in the UK. Under the normal rules subsistence allowances are taxable as employment income. Experts seconded to EU bodies in other European member States are not normally taxed on any subsistence allowance they receive from the EU body. This measure will ensure that those on secondment to a body in the UK are not at a disadvantage. The exemption will apply in relation to subsistence allowances paid for any period commencing on or after 1 January 2011. A statutory instrument containing Regulations to create the associated NICs disregard will be made on or before 6 April 2011. A Tax Information and Impact Note for this measure is available at Annex A.

Income is income. Why aren't other member states being encouraged to tax it like we have done up till now?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:16 pm 

I wonder if Georgie had to submit this budget to Brussels for approval??

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:27 pm 

Richard. I am disgusted with your low opinion of George Osborne.
Look, the man has had the courage to put passenger duty on people that fly by private jet. PDT_Armataz_01_06

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:02 pm 

This is just more Tory tax and spend. Look at the borrowing figures and look at the tax take over the period to 2015. Spending is up, borrowing is up and taxes are up.

Tory tax and spend is the same as Labour tax and spend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:43 pm 

Robertm wrote:
<i>This is just more Tory tax and spend</i> ...

Do they still run those 'who do you trust more with the economy' polls that never failed to be predictable at election time? I'd put money on a monkey on a pirate's shoulder or Robert Mugabe being the most popular these days.

Anyone serious about slashing government spending and starting on the long, long slog of clearing off the national debt, and hanging, drawing and quartering the now former Tartan McReich's Führer, would have begun the job by now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:44 pm 

Tinos, Tory in name only!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:05 pm 

You should look at all the grants and free money available to businesses , and take a look at the people and organisations that turn up at the seminars about them .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:05 pm 

Stuart wrote:
I wonder if Georgie had to submit this budget to Brussels for approval??

Personally i'm amazed that they can cut fuel duty, especially when they had to ask permission to cut the Shetland Islands duty.
http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2011/03/23/formal-request-made-to-eu-for-5p-fuel-duty-rebate-scheme-in-islands

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:45 pm 

Talking of budgets and being broke......Ireland is about to go tits up..........just how much did Georgei boy give them?????????

Oh yes and the Portuguese Gu'mint has fallen as well.

The Colleagues have a load of woe heading there way again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:09 pm 

unbelievable (perhaps not....) - a 1p/litre reduction in fuel duty 'offset' by an additional £30/year 'green tax' on energy. What a bunch of fcuking muppets - since when did green taxation - ANY green taxation - ever do anything to help the environment?

Where, in any of this budget, is there action to benefit the British people? as the Guvmint are 'duty-bound' to do?

Any revolution can't come soon enough for me PDT_Armataz_01_19

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:26 pm 

kellyseye wrote:
unbelievable (perhaps not....) - a 1p/litre reduction in fuel duty 'offset' by an additional £30/year 'green tax' on energy. What a bunch of fcuking muppets - since when did green taxation - ANY green taxation - ever do anything to help the environment?

Where, in any of this budget, is there action to benefit the British people? as the Guvmint are 'duty-bound' to do?

We prefer a little honesty here. The word is "fucking". This is not the Telegraph comments website.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:54 pm 

I'm with Stuart because they're certainly fucking me over! What do I save on fuel when I can't afford a fucking car? FUCK THEM!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:05 am 

Stuart wrote:
kellyseye wrote:

We prefer a little honesty here. The word is "fucking". This is not the Telegraph comments website.

PDT_Armataz_02_11 PDT_Armataz_02_11 PDT_Armataz_02_11

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:13 am 

Apologies for the 'typo' - where I wrote "fcuking muppets" it should have read 'cnuts'.....

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next