Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:22 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Mad days
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:55 am 
Site Admin

Slightly less of a panic pertained by the end of play yesterday – which was actually in the early hours of this morning. Intensive editing carved 4,000 words out of the manuscript, suggesting that the task is doable in the time. The process now is not so much writing the book, as unwriting it. That is how Booker and I wrote The Great Deception. We assembled all the material in a vast, chronological narrative, stitched it altogether, and then trimmed it to size. Progress is each day is measured by how many words you lose, and I have to carve out about 50,000.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mad days
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:08 am 

Quote:
where I left off.

Busy you may be. Of the 'left' you never are.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:20 am 

Dr North, Just take care....you had a "ticker" scare a while ago..... PDT_Armataz_01_31

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:30 am 

RAENORTH wrote:
I suppose this is the Michael Angelo technique. His statues were in the block of stone – all he had to do was remove the stone around them to reveal the form.
View full article here

That is a very evocative post for me. It brings back to mind something I've never thought of for at least sixty years: "Michael Angelo strikes the rock and brings forth Moses".

It was a coloured frontispiece in a volume of Arthur Mee's Childrens' Encyclopaedia and showed Michael Angelo with chisel and hammer in hand apparently hitting a stone wall and Moses appearing as if by magic. When I first saw it I was too young to understand just what the title of the illustration was trying to tell me and I remember I honestly believed as a very young child that Moses had somehow been cemented into the rocks and this bloke Michael Angelo had released him.

Fortunately my comprehension came on swiftly in leaps and bounds and the unknown sacrifices my parents had made to purchase that ten (twelve?) volume red leather bound set of books paid dividends. I wish I had them now.

Thank you for restoring a memory to me. Such things are precious to me nowadays.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:34 am 

p.s. Do take care. I've just read another message from another poster and I'd forgotten about your heart scare. (I forget things not just from 60 years ago, you know!)

Kind regards.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:43 am 

Awake well rested & yes, take good care.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:39 am 

Yes, please take care and rest.

And I promise to buy your book :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Mad days
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:29 am 

Best of luck with the book. I too always hated deadlines, despite the obvious need for them - to make sure I got the 3 books I did on the Solomons & Vanuatu finished. And also the final, almost endless, process of checking where the comma's & dashes etc all should be - for maximum clarity. If it's any consolation, based on the evidence of all your previous work, I am sure your latest book will be excellent!

Watchet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:43 am 

@HenryWood - I had the Arthur Mee Children's Encyclopaedia as well. I don't know where our set went; fell to bits I suppose.

Here is a link to Volume 1 which may bring back some memories http://issuu.com/diggers/docs/child-encyc-mee-volume1-529-724

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:16 am 

Good luck! What is the target publication date? I'm looking forward to this.
Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:24 am 

I'm have great admiraton for your work output and content but you really should try and 'listen to your body' and pace yourself a little more as the world wouldn't end if you took the odd extra coffee break and went to bed earlier!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:03 am 

Niall Warry wrote:
I'm have great admiraton for your work output and content but you really should try and 'listen to your body' and pace yourself a little more as the world wouldn't end if you took the odd extra coffee break and went to bed earlier!

That's my sentiments as well Dr. North.Also if you were to go sooner than expected,who would do your most :) carefully researched work?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:04 am 
Site Admin

scrasea wrote:
Yes, please take care and rest.

And I promise to buy your book :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, Mrs EU Referendum is being quite stern on this.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:06 am 
Site Admin

edmond99 wrote:
Good luck! What is the target publication date? I'm looking forward to this.
Ed

It seems an impossibly long time, now to get worked up about it, but the launch date is 15 November ... and for a very good reason ... the real Battle of Britain day!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:37 am 

15 November, just in time for my Christmas list. I look forward to reading it.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next