Change font size
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: "Experts warn"
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

There are probably no two words in the entire English language that have become more debased than: "experts warn". That simple truth, however, evades the simple souls recruited by The Daily Telegraph to write their headlines, their latest offering being: "Climate change means we will be skiing in Yorkshire rather than sunbathing under palm trees, experts warn." This announces yet another dollop of from the incredible Richard Alleyne, styled as the paper's "science correspondent", his labours helping to turn a once respected newspaper into the laughing stock that is has become, driving down the circulation to the point eventually when even this blog will be able to boast more readers.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: "Experts warn"
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:55 pm 

I recall skiing in Yorks in my childhood, or rather falling off skis. This would be around 56 or 7. Not really much of a big deal, is it. Global warming = no change, but in a scary way.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:17 pm 

How are warmists going to spin this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hicks.html

No doubt in a few years the picture will be doctored showing no snow and a screaming headline that 'global warming' caused all the penguins to die.

In the article the cameraman is quoted as saying:

'It is difficult to say how and why they died, but I was told by other scientists that it was not unheard of.

'Weather and things like starvation, if there is a food shortage, can cause this kind of sad event.'

Going back to 'experts warn', it should immediately set alarm bells ringing in peoples' heads that MSM are about to tell a whopper.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:47 pm 

RAENORTH wrote:
There are probably no two words in the entire English language that have become more debased than: "experts warn". That simple truth, however, evades the simple souls recruited by The Daily Telegraph to write their headlines, their latest offering being: "Climate change means we will be skiing in Yorkshire rather than sunbathing under palm trees, experts warn." This announces yet another dollop of from the incredible Richard Alleyne, styled as the paper's "science correspondent", his labours helping to turn a once respected newspaper into the laughing stock that is has become, driving down the circulation to the point eventually when even this blog will be able to boast more readers.

View full article here

Let market forces deal with them. Those of us who still buy the thing should cease and desist immediately and make sure we tell the blighters exactly why they have lost our readership. Maybe their advertisers would be interested as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:09 pm 

This came up on 5 Live Drive too. Peter Allen never asked what could falsify "global warming".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:21 pm 

That skiing photo looks suspiciously like it was taken in New Zealand

Speaking of which, the local skiing industry commissioned NIWA to find out what snowfall patterns would be like in 50 years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:43 pm 

I hope Dr N will forgive me for posting this here, but everyone should have a chance to enjoy a couple of BBC 'experts', Chris Evans and Moira Stewart on BBC Radio 2, 8.25am, 26th Jan 2011, pontificating on Global Warming and our belief in science:

Chris Evans Show, BBC Radio 2, 26th January, 2011 (Show dedicated to ‘all scientists and their assistants’)Chris Evans (CE) and Moira Stewart (MS) discuss Global Warming.
CE: So, listen, I watched ‘Science under Attack’ last night – this programme, the one presented by Sir Paul Nurse, the new president of the Royal Society. It was both excellent, it was bewildering at the same time - it was all about how scientists are failing to get new facts over, and suffering as a consequence. They’re sort of shouldering some of the blame themselves. Global Warming was the main vehicle used to portray his point: lots of people don’t believe it’s happening despite overwhelming data to suggest that it is. Why do so many hundreds of millions of people believe these very clever and dedicated people are lying? That’s very worrying, isn’t it? Don’t you think?
MS: Yeah, yeah, apparently they haven’t been, but they’re very well meaning and giving us findings…
CE: And you can tell.
MS: But, but, I didn’t realise until far too late, back in the Middle Ages, it was very, very warm and whatever. I thought that we peoples were freezing to death. Apparently Britain didn’t get that cold…what I’m trying to say is that there are cycles….
CS: Don’t beat yourself up about that, that you’ve only just cottoned on to the fact. The Earth has warmed and cooled, but the thing is, what they said is that it’s cooling at such an exponential rate now that that’s never happened before, and you know, some people don’t believe that maybe we’re contributing to this. But listen, science apart, right, if you light a fire, your living room warms up, doesn’t it? It’s not rocket science!
MS: Indeed, indeed.
CE: It has to be proven because so much is at stake. Scientists have to prove it for the benefit of the rest of us. But if you look at, you know....what was fascinating by the way, is that NASA spend £2m a year with their satellites looking back down to the Earth, so they send things off to space to try and ensure the future safety of Earth, because all these things back in space looking back down to Earth. But they spend £2m a year studying Global Warming, which I don’t think is that much. It’s so crucial – if you think: Wayne Rooney earns £5m a year. Right, the world spends a third of his wages a year on studying whether or not we’re frying ourselves.
MW: We don’t want to know.
CE: No, we don’t want to know. We’re sticking our head in the sand.
MS: But even in my lifetime, from childhood through to now […]when we were using coal and whatever else […]Britain for instance had a terrible atmosphere and it was…if you blew your nose you got black out of your nostrils because of the fog etc…fog and the smog. And yet now we have cleaner air and a cleaner atmosphere, why aren’t we getting a cooler temperature?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:37 am 

I have lost count of the number of times I have asked global warming believers to complete this equation
Iron oxide plus magnesium, then add HEAT gives....?
They can not do it. First few months of basic chemistry is beyond them, but fortunately they are experts on global warming being 100% true.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:21 am 

Quote:
But such is the nature of the British press that they haven't quite caught up with this internet thingie, and still believe - in common with the political classes - that communication remains a one-way process.

PDT_Armataz_01_14

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:46 am 
Site Admin

Shub Niggurath wrote:
Quote:
But such is the nature of the British press that they haven't quite caught up with this internet thingie, and still believe - in common with the political classes - that communication remains a one-way process.

PDT_Armataz_01_14

Mechanistically, they know how it works ... but they really do not understand it, or its implications. But then, waking up to the idea that they have lost their monopoly control over the flow of information must be hard to take on board.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:24 am 

One man to thank for our Internet freedom is Tim Berners-Lee, and his book "Weaving the Web" is an interesting tale of how he created the WWW and prevented it from falling into proprietary hands.
http://www.amazon.com/Weaving-Web-Origi ... 0062515861

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:09 am 

On this side of the pond, internet sites came on the map when Powerline ended the carreer of news anchor and heavyweight MSM leftie Dan Rather during the 2000 Presidential election campaign. It was their digging that proved that Rather was relying on forged documents to attack Pres. Bush's service in the National Guard. It is hard to overestimate the importance of that event to the seriousness with which major political blogs are now treated.

It is not uncommon at this point to have blogs quoted and credited on the cable news sites, and in particular, on Fox. Moreover, many of the news shows include segments that involve questions coming real time over the internet and fed to the opinion columnists. Politicians include ideologically friendly blogs in their election strategies. Slowly but surely, blogs are making a real difference in our political discourse. Most recently was the "blood libel" over the Tuscon shooting, where the NYT, Paul Krugman, and Markos Moulitas attempted to portray conservative speech as complicit in the shooting of Rep. Giffords. The right side of the blogosphere went nuts in response and did, I believe, have a significant impact in framing this transparent and scurillous attempt to delegitimize conservative opposititon to the left's policies.

Without our Powerline/Rather moment, I doubt blogs, even the major ones, would be having anywhere near the impact on our political discourse on this side of the pond. I assume the UK has yet to experience such a moment. That said, it certainly seems that EU Referendum is having a fair impact, between Paruchi, Moonbat, etc. So I am not sure precisely where the disconnect lies. I assume that what you are seeing is the MSM only reacting when a blog becomes too much of a thorn in the side of the intelligentsia at this point.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:03 am 

Now that 'experts' have decided that we alone are to be frozen rather than fried, should we expect a return to milder winters?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:16 pm 

I see that the BBC is reporting:

"..Australia's Prime Minister Julia Gillard has announced a new tax to help pay for devastating floods..."

So it appears we must pay taxes to stop our countries becoming an arid desert, and then when they become a soggy disaster zone we must pay separate taxes for that as well. Why can't we just pay ONE set of weather taxes into a weather fund, which will fund whatever weather extreme is currently happening - heat, cold, drought or flood...?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:12 pm 

Quote:
as global warming will actually lead to Britain getting colder

It may be the case that Britain will be getting colder in the future. But this sentence reveals the stupidity of the concept of global warming: There is no such thing as global warming, when regions on the planet actually are getting colder.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next