Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: It's the morning after
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

... Trafalgar Day. So the Royal Navy celebrates by grounding a £3.5 billion submarine. Here's one theory as to why it happened. My theory is that the navigator was distracted by having to change the batteries on her iPoD. It's a little bit worrying, though, that we're going to buy even bigger boats for them. Perhaps it's just as well we're not buying aeroplanes as well and instead donating the money to the jungle bunny carbon fund.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: It's the morning after
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:39 pm 

You see that cloud of smoke hanging around the conning tower? Obviously they were all taking their smoking break at the same time and drifted onto the rocks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:44 pm 

How easy is it to do something like that? Were they practising getting close to land for a future mission somewhere else?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:46 pm 

From the article:
Quote:
“Astute ran aground by her very stern earlier this morning as she was transferring people ashore,” a Navy spokesman said. “There’s no nuclear issue or no environmental issue that we are aware of and no one has been hurt.”

Some idle speculation : Royal Marines or SBS exercise? They'd disembark regular seamen regularly in a regular fashion and be unafraid to say so if it were otherwise, surely. High tide was around 7am. Grounding at around 8am. Can't perhaps possibly have been confused with BST and GMT.

This being a naval matter I feel obliged to use the word 'poopdeck'.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

gareth wrote:
From the article:
Quote:
“Astute ran aground by her very stern earlier this morning as she was transferring people ashore,” a Navy spokesman said. “There’s no nuclear issue or no environmental issue that we are aware of and no one has been hurt.”

Some idle speculation : Royal Marines or SBS exercise? They'd disembark regular seamen regularly in a regular fashion and be unafraid to say so if it were otherwise, surely. High tide was around 7am. Grounding at around 8am. Can't perhaps possibly have been confused with BST and GMT.

This being a naval matter I feel obliged to use the word 'poopdeck'.

Nah ... it was close to the Skye Bridge, so they were dropping some matelots off early so they could thumb lifts home and save on the budget.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:51 pm 

RAENORTH wrote:
Perhaps it's just as well we're not buying aeroplanes as well ...
From Star Telegram (Fort Worth)
Quote:
Future prospects for the F-35 joint strike fighter program got a lot murkier Tuesday after British government officials announced plans to delay and dramatically trim their purchases of the warplane from Lockheed Martin.
The sweeping review of defense programs unveiled by Prime Minister David Cameron envisions cutting purchases of F-35s from 138 planes to as few as 40. It would also delay the first orders until later this decade and switch the type of jet the British navy will operate.
The moves by the British, who for 15 years have been the foremost ally of the Pentagon in planning and paying for development of the F-35, figure to drive up the costs of buying aircraft for the U.S. and other governments and lead to further delays by other nations expected to buy the jets.
"This is not good news, bottom line," said Mackenzie Eaglen, defense analyst with the conservative Heritage Foundation. "Once there is a significant shift by any international participant, it opens the doors for others to follow."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:45 pm 

"Loud the winds howl, loud the waves roar,
Thunder clouds rend the air;
Baffled our foe's stand on the shore
Follow they will not dare"

PDT_Armataz_01_32

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:35 am 

Is that a photo of a steam powered nucular sub? toot!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:40 am 
Site Admin

Robert of Ottawa wrote:
Is that a photo of a steam powered nucular sub? toot!

Yes ... they are driven by steam turbines ... so that when the boat is on the surface, powered up but not actually moving, it has to vent surplus steam!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:15 pm 

Brews a nice cuppa too whilst waiting for the tide.

Daft buggers, right outside the bouyed lane "Err . . right hand down a bit . . er, no - left hand up a bit (crump) Oh lumeee . . !"
They are now on the new platform guidance system.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:07 pm 

"It all seemed OK at first, said seaman Stains"

PMSL!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:08 pm 

I was working at LHR on the first day that immigration policy changed and allowed euros to come through as nationals - rather than as foreigners. An Italian showed me his passport, and I directed him to the alien line, as ever. When he realized, he was furious; I laughed - and avoided that duty thereafter.

So I'll be thrilled if 'les kermit'* doesn't get a working fleet or crew! The traitors who presume to lead our patriots haven't given them, or any of us, even the chance to resist the enemy. PDT_Armataz_01_42 So I count this as one better than scuppering the ships, or even scorching the earth. Mind you, I'd rather see the military take over Westminster.

*I like your term, Dr. N, and hope you continue to use it: I think it a charitable description of whifflers who croak the ugliest mucked up Latin in the universe.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]