[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate() [function.getdate]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
EU Referendum & Friends • View topic - Not long in coming
Change font size
It is currently Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:11 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Not long in coming
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

Britain was hit by freezing temperatures today as the first blizzards of the season hit the north. Overnight and during rush hour this morning much of the north of Scotland and parts of Yorkshire were hit by wintry conditions forcing drivers to slow to a crawl.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Not long in coming
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:37 pm 

Lovely day here in the Midlands where they also have funny accents. Were you commenting personally on the frozen North or the region in general?

The consequences of a cold winter are that people will use more heating and swell the profits of the energy companies. The world price of gas has continued to fall over the last year, but none of the falling prices have so far been passed onto the consumers, least of all the domestic consumers. This country with a few exceptions is in denial about the shift in gas supply. We are no longer dependent on supplies from Russia. North Sea Gas still flows albeit at a lower rate than 20 years ago, and we have gas from Norway. We have a few weeks storage of LPG at Milford Haven and the Isle of Grain, and when this runs out another gas tanker can be whistled up whenever from many sources (and perhaps in the near future from the US or Canada). Neither the government, nor Ofgas seems to be worried about the high prices the gas companies are charging to consumers, or the lower cost prices that swell the gas companies profits. There is nothing like a free market in energy and from a UK perspective, this isn't a free market.

Old people will die rather than use heating they cannot afford. If Ofgem cannot act to reduce prices they should be replaced with a body that can. If the coalition is cutting winter fuel payments, the least thay can do is ensure that domestic fuel consumers pay bills that reflect the world price of energy when this price falls, not just the reverse.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:59 pm 

If you think Yorkshire is a strange place then don't come further north. :) It was 3 degrees early this morning here. No snow though but a brisk northerly wind. It looks like we're in for a long winter right enough. But will it silence the warmers? I hae ma doots.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:17 pm 

Oddly Joe Bastardi is forecasting better than last year here with the big freeze further east in the Alps and beyond.
Anyone own animals that grow winter coats? What do the animals think??

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:19 pm 

The funny accents are daahn saaahf.

Haven't needed a fan on nor me windows open as it never got hot enough this summer but now I am quite blue with envy at The Englishman's haul of heat.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:24 pm 

Quote:
Old people will die rather than use heating they cannot afford. If Ofgem cannot act to reduce prices they should be replaced with a body that can. If the coalition is cutting winter fuel payments, the least thay can do is ensure that domestic fuel consumers pay bills that reflect the world price of energy when this price falls, not just the reverse.

The dire situation could also be a tad relieved by sending our unwanted & highly subsidized alien welfare-scroungers back to the sunnier climes whence the came. As we cannot send the ruling elite anywhere on this earth, they should be hanged & despatched, along with their bird-choppers, to the warmer netherworld. The gas companies?.....gassed, mayhap?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

gareth wrote:

Haven't needed a fan on nor me windows open as it never got hot enough this summer but now I am quite blue with envy at The Englishman's haul of heat.

Wouldn't like to have to chop all that up and stack it!

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:35 pm 

Given his enviable record on seasonal predictions, Bastardi can't be ignored.

Besides, it ill-behooves to see the mirror image of something I find offensive about the "other side"... hoping for disaster.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:51 pm 

RAENORTH wrote:
gareth wrote:

It is keeping me warm doing it, forget about actually burning the stuff...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:36 pm 

RAENORTH wrote:
Already, though, we can say with confidence, "global warming" is on probations. A heavy drop of the white stuff will confine it to the dustbin.

Really ? So the £ 1 billion committed to a "green investment bank" today will be returned and spent on something useful, will it ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:07 pm 

I believe a recent Sunday Times science supplement Eureka, has a feature on the '5 most dangerous climate skeptics'. Anyone seen it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm 

Shub Niggurath wrote:
I believe a recent Sunday Times science supplement Eureka, has a feature on the '5 most dangerous climate skeptics'. Anyone seen it?

It was mentioned in the Spectator.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:55 pm 

Richard. Talking of the 'white stuff' - American Thinker site shows a satellite shot of the UK completely blanketed with it last winter and the following comment

#.
Decreasing snowfall was once claimed as an indication of man-made climate change. After years of declining snowfall in England, Dr. David Viner, senior scientist at the Climate Research Unit of East Anglia, predicted that winter snowfall would become "a very rare and exciting event." Others predicted that snow cover in the United Kingdom would disappear by 2020. But last winter, at the same time that much of the eastern U.S. received record snowfalls, the U.K. was entirely blanketed by snow, as shown in the following NASA satellite photograph -- a rare occurrence.

The heavy snow in England was very embarrassing for the U.K. Meteorological Office, which had predicted a mild winter.
So what have the alarmists done? Attend almost any lecture today by an advocate of man-made global warming and you'll find that "heavy snowfall" is now included on the list of impacts from climate change. Now both heavy snow and lack of snow are evidence of man-made warming.
To anyone who studies geologic history, the 1.3oF rise in global surface temperatures over the last century is unremarkable. Yet the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change of the United Nations calls this rise "unprecedented" and labels it evidence of man-made climate change. This recent temperature rise is well within the +/-2.5oF range of Earth's average surface temperature over the last ten thousand years. It's a remarkably small change, given the titanic forces exerted on our world by the sun, the planets, and Earth's own terrestrial forces of weather and ocean cycles. Even though the average surface temperature of Earth has stayed in a narrow range, local temperatures vary widely. In Chicago, for example, the average annual range is from about -5oF to +95oF. Such wide local variation means that a "hundred-year weather event" is occurring somewhere on our planet at any given time.
Climatism uses these local weather variations, and increasingly the term "climate volatility," to raise alarm. A recent example is the August report from the World Bank warning that "climate volatility" is expected to "worsen poverty vulnerability in developing countries." This year, we've had drought in Russia and record floods in Pakistan. Both occurrences were seized upon by climate alarmists as evidence of increasing man-made climate volatility. #

Good points made here.
So what it adds up to is that no matter WHAT we get anywhere weather-wise on the globe, somehow its all down to AGW. Freezing temperatures, snow, icicles in your loft? - no matter, just remember its due to 'climate volatility' not a drop in temperature. White stuff Richard?. Most unlikely as its very "rare". PDT_Armataz_01_22

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:26 pm 

Sorry, O/T:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -cent.html
Can this possibly be true?
How can even the thought of inceasing Foreign Aid occur to any thinking being?????.
Fcuk the Untied Nations....we are flat broke, some of our older people will freeze to death while Mr.O is throwing their pensions at basket-case 3rd world middens....and can, as a Briton, hold his feculent head high....what an utter murderous twat....the first of his cuts should have been his own throat. I do not understand why we smirk at N.Korea.
No point in my continuing....you know it only too well. Prashant for Chancellor PDT_Armataz_01_34

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

The Englishman wrote:
RAENORTH wrote:
gareth wrote:

It is keeping me warm doing it, forget about actually burning the stuff...

PDT_Armataz_01_37

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next