Change font size
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:24 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Rewriting history
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:19 am 
Site Admin

Two articles yesterday, one in The Daily Telegraph and one in The Daily Mail trailed a new BBC documentary called Secret Iraq. A three-part documentary, showing at 9pm on Wednesdays, it purports to tell the "real" story of the Iraqi occupation and insurgency. The Mail starts its report with the legend: Britain's withdrawal from Basra was a "defeat" which left the city "terrorised" by militias, according to a damning verdict by British and American generals. Yet, many will recall how much effort went into portraying this defeat as a "victory", with sundry generals all offering a carefully crafted concerted line, not least Gen Dannatt, with his infamous "we have achieved what we set out to achieve" speech.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rewriting history
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:37 am 

I was hoping you would comment on this programme Richard. My own thoughts were that it was put together from a series of news clips, all enhanced by commenters who have their own agendas. Nevertheless, I shall watch the other two programmes to ensure my opinion is valid.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Subrosablonde wrote:
I was hoping you would comment on this programme Richard. My own thoughts were that it was put together from a series of news clips, all enhanced by commenters who have their own agendas. Nevertheless, I shall watch the other two programmes to ensure my opinion is valid.

Yes, you could be right - but it is sloppily done. I'm doing the same ... waiting until it's done, although my first impressions are not favourable. Crucially, I don't think they should be telling the story in the way they are doing it - dealing with the north and the south together. The one was a Sunni insurgency, latterly supported by al Qaeda, the other was a Shi'a affair, with very different dynamics. Both are framed in terms of being a reaction to the presence of the occupier, which has elements for the truth, but which is far too simplistic. Moqtada al Sadr, who only latterly became the driving force for the nationalist Shi's insurgency, was seeking to take over the country and, inasmuch as the "occupier" was a barrier to that ambition, they came under attack. Asking British commentators what was going on, though, is fraught. The problem at the time was that they did not know what was happening under their noses and misread the political situation. They are still doing it, but now largely to conceal their own incompetence.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:42 am 

I read Minstry of Defeat and brought 4 other copies which I sent to 4 former colleagues still in the Army.

The information in this book MUST be understood if we are ever to move on and NOT repeat the same mistakes time and time again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Niall Warry wrote:
I read Minstry of Defeat and brought 4 other copies which I sent to 4 former colleagues still in the Army.

The information in this book MUST be understood if we are ever to move on and NOT repeat the same mistakes time and time again.

PDT_Armataz_01_34

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]