Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:00 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 40 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: It's not them, it's us / The heart rejoices
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:43 am 
Site Admin

It's not them, it's us

The headline almost speaks for itself ... Ban Ki Moon, that thieving little autocrat heading one of the biggest kleptocracies in the history of man – barring the previous one – wants governments to pledge £25.5bn to eradicate world poverty. It is not a coincidence that, below this one, we have a piece which records that, since 2003, we've spent £30 bn in "aid" to Afghanistan. And have we eradicated poverty, even in that benighted country? Or is it a fact that the country is poorer than it ever has been, that the rich are richer, that the violence is at an historic high and there are thousands of overpaid tranzies feeding at the tit of international money?

View full article here

The heart rejoices

... to see this report in Der Speigel. But what took it so long? I recall writing a whole series of posts in 2008 addressing such issues, and in one of the series, I quoted the award-winning journalist Fariba Nawa and here 2006 report on the reconstruction programme in Afghanistan. In it, she wrote ...

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The heart rejoices
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:22 am 

Great article. Thanks for the link.

Found this interesting.

Quote:
"I've started making my decisions partly based on the time of year," says a young Frenchwoman at the bar of the "L'Atmosphère." "Haiti is OK from the fall onwards, maybe even Yemen. But I won't go anywhere that gets above 45 degrees Celsius (113 degrees Fahrenheit) or under minus 14 (7 degrees Fahrenheit) anymore."

One old hand remarks sarcastically that his colleagues who are tired of Afghanistan should go to Haiti. "There's no shortage of suffering there either," he says. "And on top of that, the girls -- unlike here -- are willing."

And this
Quote:
Germany plays a key role in training Afghan policeman under the auspices of the European Union Police Mission (EUPOL) and the German Police Project Team, a bilateral project. In the year 2010 alone, this will cost German taxpayers €77 million.

It's a great opportunity for policemen to boost their income. One of these is Holger Behrens, which is not his real name. He does not want to be identified by his real name because of his position as a police officer.

"In Germany I earn a monthly take-home pay of €3,000. Working in Afghanistan gives me an extra €5,000 a month, net," Behrens says. "It's crazy what the EU is willing to fork out for us."

There are about 60 German police officers on the EUPOL mission. Link.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:17 am 

Same people, different strokes, if it is not 'give us your old shoes and clothes to help the "poor" in Africa ( Africa does not need a shoe and clothing industry they get it all free from us) its building the first car with square wheels in Afghanistan.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:14 am 
Site Admin

"It's crazy what the EU is willing to fork out for us."

That says it all ... "crazy" money ... and you end up with billions being poured down the drain to no effect. And then they wonder why people support the Taliban. I think if I was in AFG, I would support the Talibs ... hell, I'd probably be one!

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:00 am 

I think it would depend where I lived and whether I was Pashtun, Uzbek, Hazara or Tajik.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:15 am 
Site Admin

therewaslight wrote:
I think it would depend where I lived and whether I was Pashtun, Uzbek, Hazara or Tajik.

Yeah ... but any one of those could end up Kuchi - who are classified as "taliban" anyway ... so you can be a Pashtun, Uzbek, Hazara, Tajik or even a Baluchi talib ... after all, the ragheads are all the same, doncha know.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: It's not them, it's us / The heart rejoices
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:24 am 
The "Anti Bono":

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/22/magaz ... 2&emc=eta1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:32 am 

RAENORTH wrote:
therewaslight wrote:

Yeah ... but any one of those could end up Kuchi - who are classified as "taliban" anyway ... so you can be a Pashtun, Uzbek, Hazara, Tajik or even a Baluchi talib ... after all, the ragheads are all the same, doncha know.

Don't understand. Kuchis, are Pashtun and Baluch

Quote:
primarily from the Ghilzai, Kakar, Lodi, Ahmadzai as well as some Durrani tribes, but occasionally there may also be some Baloch people among them.

Tajik and Uzbeks are more literate and urban and have always primarily worked in government or as traders. They may farm but they're not nomadic. Their society is not structured into tribes like Pashtun or Baluch. Tajik and Uzbeks are the so-called "modern" elements that make our presence in Afghan possible. These groups have always been at war with the Pashtun, usually losing, so they appreciate the presence of foreign forces because it puts them on the winning side. Indian investment in the Tajik/Uzbek north of Afghanistan has been massive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

therewaslight wrote:
RAENORTH wrote:
therewaslight wrote:

Don't understand. Kuchis, are Pashtun and Baluch

No they are not, not any more. The books are out of date. During and since the end of the Russian occupation, the traditional Kuchi lifestyle/traditions have largely broken down. The term Kuchi has since morphed to become a generic term for nomad, or more generally, dispossessed. The term is closer to "gypsy" as used here, or "travellers" in a pejorative sense. Becoming dispossessed and being driven to a refugee, nomadic lifestyle is now known as "going Kuchi".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:18 pm 

Another visit from the ballies? What did you do this time, squint at a councillor?

[RN Fan 1A]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:28 pm 

There is still a north-south split. The Tajiks, Uzbeks or Hazara "going kuchi", at highest risk of forming a temporary alliance with groups allied to the Taliban, will be the isolated ethnic pockets in the Pashtun-dominated south. In the north the ethnic Pashtun pockets will be the greater risk of joining Taliban. So whether you support the Taliban depends on where you live first (north or south), second what ethnicity you are (non-pashtun/pashtun).

If you live in the north and are the non-Pashtun you don't support the Taliban because you're getting the benefits of the foreign investment. If you live in the south and are a minority population (non-Pashtun) you are not getting so much of the benefits of the occupation (perhaps the Pashtuns are getting whatever reaches the region). You might ally with the Taliban.

The non-Pashtun radical sharia element of the Taliban does mean that some non-Pashtun communities in the south might not fear ethnic cleansing if Taliban took control. However, if they had the choice these communities would prefer their own Tajik rule, rather than live by a Pashtunwali culture. I think this is sounds logical...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, you are absolutely right ... this is just another layer and another complication. As well as the "new" Kuchi, there are still the remnants of the traditional Kuchi, and they are another aggrevated group as the settled tribes encroach on their traditional pastures. There has been some serious bloodshed over grazing rights.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

archonix wrote:
Another visit from the ballies? What did you do this time, squint at a councillor?

Same chap, every year ... Council Tax. Bought him off this year ... there will come a year when I don't ... matter of principle, even if it is wholly quixotic, but I will not pay these thieving bastards unless they come and get it, with their hands out. Makes it more personal and screws up their system. If only everybody would do it, the system would collapse.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:51 pm 

Colour me completely unsurprised.
Some moons ago while we were bemoaning the fact that Britain was utterly broke...and asking our stupid selves what recourse we could possibly take, our sorely-missed commenter, (come back please) Prashant, stated the obvious: "Cease all foreign aid."...trouble is we don't do obvious.....our abysmal stupidity surpasses all understanding.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:21 pm 

I always wondered why the foreign aid budget was ringfenced, even before the Tories sort of got into office, despite being an unpopular measure with much of their own membership, and despite being something begging for a closer look.

I'd guess the reason is that politics is an international club and £10 billion or so isn't much when it's only the poor suckers' money, but the cost of not doing it is not being considered one of the in crowd.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... Biden.html

Predictably, the Lib-Dems don't think there's enough silliness and are actively pressing for more.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 40 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next