Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:32 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Stuff them
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

"Once the police forces of this country could have relied on fierce public support against cuts in their funds and manpower. Now I think they will get very little," writes Peter Hitchens. He adds: "For years I have said they should sell the helicopters and fast cars and get back on foot. I said they should reopen police stations and man them. I said they should remember that the middle classes are their friends. And almost all I heard in return was moaning that I was anti-police and unfair to a fine body of men. Piffle ...

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Stuff them
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:55 pm 

On the face of it, it may seem a contradiction in terms but...you do live in a police state now & 'cutting back funding' is gumment pap for the masses. The police will go without nothing...they are the servant of the gumment, not the people and, when push eventually comes to shove, expect nothing from them except a sore head...or worse.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:21 pm 

I researched this subject when we had a neighbour's taxi parked more ore less permanently on a junction causing sightline problems etc. The statute and regulations which give the police powers to require a vehicle causing an obstruction on the highway to be removed. I hope these references will be of use to the Police should they reinvestigate this matter.
"Wilkinson's" refers to Wilkinson's Road Traffic Offences which is the standard textbook.

• Regulation 103 Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 and (causing or permitting a vehicle to stand on a road so as to cause an unnecessary obstruction) [Wilkinson's 6.204];
This states that no person in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer shall cause or permit the vehicle to stand on a road so as to cause any unnecessary obstruction of the road. Only the Police can enforce this and make the decision as to whether a vehicle is causing an unnecessary obstruction. The outcome of each investigation will depend upon many factors, such as the size of the vehicle, the type of road, its position in the road and the use of the road.

• Section 137 Highways Act 1980 (wilful obstruction of the highway) [Wilkinson's 6.204]:

— (1) If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

To quote the Crown Prosecution Service "the prosecution of traffic offences is vital to the enforcement and promotion of road safety and the protection of the public."

Unfortunately, both of these powers are discretionary, so the Police are under no duty to act. You would have to get a writ of mandamus from a Court to order the Chief Constable to act. Expensive and risky.
Our problem was solved when the owner of the taxi was cautioned for assaulting a neighbour (advised how to report the attack to get the police interested) and thus lost his licence.
Have you tried interesting your local newspaper? Some photos, and copy - include interviews with locals who have had near accidents etc, should get them interested. Ambitious coppers don't like bad PR. Good luck. PDT_Armataz_01_34

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:25 pm 

Sounds like a job for Captain Super-Glue ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:52 pm 

I agree, support from the public for the police only seems to go down. So my question is, when does the coalition spot this and what do they do?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:22 pm 

I will tell Tony Simpson about his parking when I next see him drinking in the 'Southfield' Pub !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:27 pm 

You jam a very large old style cobblers tack, 1inch size is nice, under the tyre, then remove the valve and let the tyre down and it will deflate over the tack so splitting the tyre. They then re-inflate the tyre and find they have a constant puncture.
Tyres for trucks are quite expensive. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:08 pm 

Very tempting to send a text to van owner on 07966 135918

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:19 am 

Try the Construction and Use Regulations 1955, it is unlawful to park anywhere on a
public road or even travel too slowly along it so as to cause an obstruction.

Even the Police cars round here park on the footpath so there isn't a lot of hope?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]