Change font size
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:07 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Not incapacitated
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Thirty-nine year-old Gian-Paul De Vito-Tracey, who has held a senior position at the Department for Work and Pensions, is seeking £300,000 damages after falling off a newly issued swivel chair in 2008 and hitting his head on a wall. This is almost twice as much as a soldier was given after suffering severe burns in a Taliban ambush in Afghanistan, but Mr De Vito-Tracey is to claim he is left 80 percent disabled for life.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Not incapacitated
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:32 am 

Its quite disgusting, 300 grand for falling off a chair ??? and why is it his employers fault that he fell of a chair, did they not provide sufficient training on how to sit on the new chair ?

I have never understood these kind of claims. I wonder what recommendations will come out after this incident ?

Perhaps fitting seat belts on office chairs for civil servants or some kind of swivel chair awareness campaign.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

Puffineater wrote:
Its quite disgusting, 300 grand for falling off a chair ??? and why is it his employers fault that he fell of a chair, did they not provide sufficient training on how to sit on the new chair ?

I have never understood these kind of claims. I wonder what recommendations will come out after this incident ?

Perhaps fitting seat belts on office chairs for civil servants or some kind of swivel chair awareness campaign.

Was it one of these chairs, I wonder?

http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... erals.html

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:11 pm 

If there was a fault with the chair then the Department has some legal liability. Otherwise, the same standard applied to junior staff ought to be applied to him: he was using officially supplied equipment incorrectly. Mind you, if his "work station" had not been officially reassessed, (seriously, that is a requirement honoured mainly in its neglect for the helots) then "procedures would not have been followed". I agree with your comment about the calibre of senior DWP staff. I had an hour long pre-redundancy interview with the Regional Manager who persisted throughout in addressing me as Neil despite me wearing my compulsory name badge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:20 pm 

If he managed to fall off a chair, I would say that shows he was mentally incapacitated in the first place. He should probably move to the USA - with his skills, he should soon be able to get a multi-million dollar settlement for tripping over his shoe-lace.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:48 pm 
Brian,

And chairs and that. Seeing your post suddenly jogged my memory.

Quote:
Two chairs in interview set. Smart interviewer and footballer (who is not over bright) in blazer.

Interviewer: (an effete, arty-farty, beeboid type played be Eric Idle)
From the plastic arts we turn to football. Last night in the Stadium of Light, Jarrow, we witnessed the resuscitation of a great footballing tradition, when Jarrow United came of age, in a European sense, with an almost Proustian display of modern existentialist football. Virtually annihilating by midfield moral argument the now surely obsolescent catennachio defensive philosophy of Signor Alberto Fanffino. Bologna indeed were a side intellectually out argued by a Jarrow team thrusting and bursting with aggressive Kantian positivism and outstanding in this fine Jarrow team was my man of the match, the arch-thinker, free scheming, scarcely ever to be curbed, midfield cognoscento, Jimmy Buzzard.

Buzzard: (played by a vacant John Cleese)
Good evening Brian.

Interviewer:
Jimmy, at least one ageing football commentator was gladdened last night by the sight of an English footballer breaking free of the limpid tentacles of packed Mediterranean defence.

Buzzard:
Good evening Brian.

Interviewer:
Were you surprised at the way the Italians ceded midfield dominance so early on in the game?

Buzzard:
Well Brian... I'm opening a boutique.

Interviewer:
This is of course symptomatic of a new breed of footballer as it is indeed symptomatic of your whole genre of player, is it not?

Buzzard:
Good evening Brian.

Interviewer:
What I'm getting at, Jimmy, is you seem to have discovered a new concept with a mode in which you dissected the Italian defence, last night.

Buzzard:
I hit the ball first time and there it was in the back of the net. (smiles and looks around)

Interviewer:
Do you think Jarrow will adopt a more defensive posture for the first leg of the next tie in Turkey?

Buzzard:
(confidently) I hit the ball first time and there it was in the back of the net.

Interviewer:
Yes, yes - but have you any plans for dealing with the free-scoring Turkish forwards?

Buzzard:
Well Brian... I'm opening a boutique.

Skip to other disconnected thread.

Then back.

Voice Over:
We interrupt this very quickly to take you back to the Jimmy Buzzard interview, where we understand something exciting's just happened.

Cut back to the interview studio; Jimmy Buzzard is sitting on the floor.

Buzzard:
I've fallen off my chair, Brian.

All but the crucial bit at the end can be seen here: Literary Football Discussion

Brian, your surname wouldn't happen to be Moore, would it? :) That would be too much of a coincidence. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:34 pm 

John,

If I told you that, I'd have to push you off a swivel-chair to keep the secret :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:04 pm 

Isn't it about time the ambulance chasers, and their too stupid to be out by themselves clients, got their very dubious wheels clamped?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:08 pm 

I've thought about it, and for the life of me I can't work out how he could have hit his head hard enough to actually incapacitate himself. Unless the chair was a few feet too high and he fell against the edge of a brick, but even then he'd have to be pretty incapacitated to start with. Maybe he was drunk at work and this is an attempt to cover his arse.

[RN Fan 1A]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

archonix wrote:
I've thought about it, and for the life of me I can't work out how he could have hit his head hard enough to actually incapacitate himself. Unless the chair was a few feet too high and he fell against the edge of a brick, but even then he'd have to be pretty incapacitated to start with. Maybe he was drunk at work and this is an attempt to cover his arse.

I've no doubt it can be done ... if you tilt a wheeled swivel chair, it can go very suddenly ... and if there is a wall nearby, a collision could be very nasty ... brain damage and all that. The problem I have with a senior civil servant is how you would tell the difference.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]