Change font size
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: You're all gonna die!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

"Anthropologists from the National Automonous University of Mexico think that the body was placed in the cave in a funeral ceremony performed late in the Pleistocene epoch when the sea level was around 488 feet lower than it is today," says The Daily Mail. So, somewhere between 12,000 and 2.5 million years ago, the sea level was 488 feet lower (exactly 488 feet?). If we apply warmist logic to that and extrapolate the trend, in another 12,000 to 2.5 million year, my house will be on its way to becoming a beachside property.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: You're all gonna die!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:21 pm 

Ahh, 488 feet, the curse of false precision strikes again. Why not 489?

I'm glad our flats are built on pillars now. My my calculations they're precisely 0.00082 inches higher than the eventual surface of the waters will be in a few million years.

[RN Fan 1A]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:08 pm 
Thirty years ago, on a Geography field trip we went up and round the Great Orme at Llandudno*. What was noticeable was the evidence of multiple changes of sea level, some due to changes in the volume of water in the sea (freezing and thawing), some due to plate tectonics. One thing learned about geology is that most processes take an awfully long time. What's to worry about? I'm more worried by the waste of helium reserves as I have a fondness for airships.
* in Wales.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:14 pm 
The waste of Helium is due to your bleeping airships, Brian. It should be preserved for scuba diving.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:19 pm 

These are fresh water caves aren't they? I'm not sure what sea level has to do with them. Assuming there isn't evidence around the bodies that that they were placed there (artifacts arranged around it for example), they could simply be people washed away during a storm ages ago.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:26 pm 

Stop congratulating yourselves now that you will become the owners of desirable waterfront properties in a millenia or so. The real question is: Will you be Tsunami-proof? PDT_Armataz_02_11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:30 pm 

Given the oceans will be pure carbonic acid by then I'm really not sure if tsunami-proofing is going to achieve much.

[RN Fan 1A]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:01 pm 

Quote:
Report this postReply with quoteRe: You're all gonna die!!!
by archonix » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:30 pm

Given the oceans will be pure carbonic acid by then I'm really not sure if tsunami-proofing is going to achieve much.

No problem then for those whose tipple is a scotch & splash...why be so negative? PDT_Armataz_02_11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

permanentexpat wrote:
Stop congratulating yourselves now that you will become the owners of desirable waterfront properties in a millenia or so. The real question is: Will you be Tsunami-proof? PDT_Armataz_02_11

Nah .. don't have Tsunamis in West Yorkshire.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:30 pm 
You'd have to be as thick as two planks to get caught by rising sea levels. If all the ice on the planet were to start melting tomorrow it would take 15,000 years to do the deed at the rate of 3-4 degrees warming per century. And that would only rise about 250 feet I think it was. The Ozzy gummint was thinking to ban all coastal development in case someone got caught out. Logic like that is what happens when you stand in the sun too long.
10,000 years isn't that long really. The Aboriginals arrived from Asia landing somewhere east of Darwin 50,000 years ago and they would have needed boats of some sort as the Timor trough is over 10,000 foot deep that they would of had to cross. They arrived as stone age people then, and never changed in all that time till Captain Cook turned up in Sydney town and turned them into urban welfare recipere which was a lot easier than throwing stones at kangaroos.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:59 pm 
The original paper probably said 'about 150 m'. Then some drongo dumbass journo though that they'd better transfer it into imperial, and came up with 488 feet. Thereby exhibiting their complete lack of understanding of what they are doing.

But then, an understanding, or even basic knowledge, of science or mathematics is a positive disadvantage to a journalistic career.

Further reading; http://www.amazon.com/Mathematician-Rea ... 038548254X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:39 pm 
There are parts of Norway (if I recall correctly) that are several tens of feet higher above sea level (than just a century or so ago) as a result of glacial retreat.The glaciers retreated the weight of the ice allowed the earths mantle to 'rebound' causing the land to rise.

Just had a quick google search but can't find it atm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:42 pm 
Guest wrote:
Just had a quick google search but can't find it atm.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:42 am 

Aye, that's true. Harlech Castle in Wales has a path that once lead down to the average sea level but which is now quite some distance from it. The sea level 700 years ago was much higher around the British Isles than it is now - or the land was much lower.

[RN Fan 1A]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:52 am 
“The good society, ..... consists of the sedated masses, the gentlemen rulers, the promising puppies, and the philosophers who pursue knowledge, manipulate the gentlemen, anesthetize the people, and housebreak the most talented young”

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next