Change font size
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:09 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: It never rains
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:18 am 
Site Admin

The Daily Mail is amongst the many newspapers remarking about the sudden turn of bad weather. Remember those balmy days back in June?" it asks us, then telling us to cherish the memory. With the holiday season in full swing, what remains of the summer seems likely to be washed away.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: It never rains
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:07 am 
It's always Worse Than We Thought, always Mankind's fault, a kind of ongoing Fall Of Adam.

What's the latest apocalypse, now that the heat is going out of the global warming nonsense?

Ocean acidification? No, that has been dealt with. Biodiversity loss? Not new, merely recycled. Phytoplankton extinction? Newish, but not quite the latest....

"[H]elium is also a non-renewable resource and the world's reserves of the precious gas are about to run out, a shortage that is likely to have far-reaching repercussions. Scientists have warned etc etc.

Bad, bad party balloons....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 59357.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:07 am 
The Rose tints see balmy Summers of the forties, but such was the severity of the Winters that the Ministry of War (Transport) saw fit in 1942 to shorten and re-enforce a group of canal narrow boats for ice breaking and general maintenance duties as the canals were still a vital supply line for commodities and fuel, they had to ensure their continued availability for supplies and not be frozen solid. Even so, ice at times became thick enough to drive a van onto, this was repeated in the Winter of ‘62/63, and I believe ’61 was pretty bad too.

I recall sitting as a child watching rain fall for days on end during the Summer holidays – some time in the fifties. Have such times long gone? I fear not, for the World’s Oceans and Seas are now decreasing in temperature, and that will bode ill for the land also. The great ‘warmist wagon’ has made some very wealthy with ‘sustainability’ and ‘green’. The next phase of wealth will be made from fossil fuels and food as the masses all shiver, scrounge sticks, and return to growing their own. ‘Thrift’ will be a recurring watch word, make and mend the practices, and woe betide the old and infirm. And there is always the incurable “Super-bug” pandemic to ensure compulsory vaccinations. “This way to the showers”?

We are a temporary species. We do not govern a longevity, the constellations could see us off in short order. For all we remember, for all we record, three score years and ten are but a flicker of a flame in the time spans we understand. But it is all we appear to have, so make the most of it. So tragic that many live their lives in hatred, battle and suffering.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 am 

You're just grump-grumbling because you can't see the outcome. Hard times will burn off the fat and the flim-flam, the 'Right' of people not to pull their weight and to live off others will be severely questioned and we may well see a lot of change in a short time.
One needs economic brush-fires to clear the way for new growth, and since this economic breakdown was caused by over-weening governments it is only right that they should fling themselves on the pyre also.
I suppose we live in 'interesting times'.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:41 am 

I’ve just started to read David Livingstone’s Missionary Travels (again) which was originally published in 1857. While describing his travels around southern Africa he often interjects with a description of the weather; usually because it had major significance for his travels and/or for those who he was staying with. I usually smile when I come to the passages that describe the many severe and prolonged droughts that plagued the region at that time. Of course I derive no sadistic pleasure out of hearing about the suffering of ordinary people but I find it most amusing to see firsthand proof that droughts have always plagued Africa. If you believed the warmists you would think there were no droughts in Africa before the 1990s and that they had become more frequent. Livingstone recorded several doubts in quick succession in various areas around southern Africa and he noted how the people were so used to droughts that most tribes he visited even had a resident “rainmaker” tasked with rain generation in times of severe drought.

Of course, most sensible people know that Africa has been plagued with droughts since time immemorial. How the papers can publish the “droughts in Africa are due to Global Warming” rants from various greenie lunatics is beyond me. It seems that every weather event is attributed to Global warming. On a more positive note though, the warmist agenda has largely dropped out of the papers in Ireland. I think the scare has had its day. All we need is the politicos to recognise that and were flying.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:07 am 
It also never happened. I'm down south & all it did was rain a little overnight. No torrential rain nor gale force winds. All the papers have ditched the story now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:20 am 
Remember !

The opposite of Skeptic is Gullible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:51 am 

Blimey, I don't know whereabouts 'Guest' is, but here in Central Hampshire, it blew a mighty gale for a couple of hours and we had 30mm rain.

I've been round the crops - only done about half of harvest so far - and they seem to have survived. Some of the wheat has been blown over, but beans are still up.

Of course, every wet day spoils the quality of milling wheat ('falling Hagberg number') and malting barley (germination). There's nothing like a dreadful harvest or two, and rumours of a bit of a shortage, to make folk realise what the countryside's really for.

If you're bored, Google 'hottest ever summer 2010' - I assume it was on a Thursday this year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:31 pm 

A mate of mine who works in a local bread mill has told me that the price of flour is through the roof in the last couple of weeks. The thing in Russia, floods in Canada and various other places has created a shortage. Bread's going to go up like a rocket this month.

[RN Fan 1A]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:34 pm 
Did Irish newspapers print weather reports during the war? Given that a lot of British weather comes from the West it seems reasonable that the German embassy in Dublin read the local papers and sent cables to Berlin about the weather to add to U-Boat and Luftwaffe recconnaissance reports. I gather the manned and unmanned weather stations in Greenland and Spitzbergen were established after the Battle of Britain.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:45 pm 

Guest said:-
Quote:
It also never happened. I'm down south & all it did was rain a little overnight. No torrential rain nor gale force winds. All the papers have ditched the story now

Excuse ME!!! Here in sunny Hampshire It rained so hard for at least 2 hours last night after midnight that even my fire place was soaked this morning...the stench of soot and a couple dustpans full of soot washed down the chimney into the hearth. Had to have a fire lit to burn away the soot and fumigate the place.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:11 am 

Jaguar Driver wrote:
Guest said:-
Quote:
It also never happened. I'm down south & all it did was rain a little overnight. No torrential rain nor gale force winds. All the papers have ditched the story now

Excuse ME!!! Here in sunny Hampshire It rained so hard for at least 2 hours last night after midnight that even my fire place was soaked this morning...the stench of soot and a couple dustpans full of soot washed down the chimney into the hearth. Had to have a fire lit to burn away the soot and fumigate the place.

Sounds like a typical afternoon rain here. PDT_Armataz_01_34

~~"Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no 'but'."~~

Jyllands-Posten, 2/10/06

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:17 am 

I like summer rain !..... Particularity when there are small gaps in the cloud and the sun fleetingly races through ...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]