Change font size
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:56 pm


Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Greeks baring rifts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:34 am 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:11 am
Posts: 24869
Location: Bradford
It might have disappeared from the notoriously parochial British media, but it is still there – Greece, that is. And their problems have not been resolved. In fact, they seem to be getting worse. The current round of troubles started a few days ago when the nation's lorry drivers announced their intention to go on indefinite strike today over plans to open up their sector to new licenses, opening up the transport business to new entrants.

View full article here

_________________
We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greeks baring rifts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:22 am 

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:11 am
Posts: 6700
We set up this forum 5 yrs ago on the Aug. 1st.... and that is your worst pun yet :P:P:P
Somebody had a link to the effects of hyper-inflation in the Weimar Republic, gangs of townies raiding the villages for stored food. Take down petrol and our civilization falls to bits very fast, shops empty in days. We pitied the inhabitants of the Soviet Empire for having none of the benefits of a free-market economy, guess it's our turn now.

_________________
If you don't get grumpy as you grow older then you aren't paying attention


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greeks baring rifts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:00 am 
I guess i should be gratefull that i cant afford a holiday this year!


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greeks baring rifts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:10 am 
Thank you for highlighting this. Yep. MSM eh? Greece still falling apart and not a hint of it anywhere. But we all know about Cheryl Cole's health! Reason I dont bother with buying a newspaper any more and can now barely be bothered to watch TV news.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greeks baring rifts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:35 am 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:11 am
Posts: 24869
Location: Bradford
SandyRham wrote:
We set up this forum 5 yrs ago on the Aug. 1st.... and that is your worst pun yet :P:P:P.


That is one hellava compliment, Sandy. I'm positively purring!

_________________
We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greeks baring rifts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:01 pm 

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:41 pm
Posts: 103
Quote:
lorry drivers announced their intention to go on indefinite strike today over plans to open up their sector to new licenses, opening up the transport business to new entrants


Is this one of the dumbest ever reasons for a strike?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greeks baring rifts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:26 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:21 am
Posts: 2193
SandyRham wrote:

Take down petrol and our civilization falls to bits very fast, shops empty in days. We pitied the inhabitants of the Soviet Empire for having none of the benefits of a free-market economy, guess it's our turn now.



According to a spokesman for Greenpeace on Sky this morning he's against any new drilling for oil in Greenland, he said he couldn't understand their position in wanting to drill as people are turning against the use of it, and although we won't be oil free in 5 years we should be oil free in 15 years.

Are these people for real, are the deranged or just plain evil bastards.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greeks baring rifts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:39 pm 
Kyle wrote:
Quote:
lorry drivers announced their intention to go on indefinite strike today over plans to open up their sector to new licenses, opening up the transport business to new entrants


Is this one of the dumbest ever reasons for a strike?


No. It is actually quite rationale. They probably paid a lot of money for their licenses, and need to charge accordingly to recoup their investment. As I understand it the new licensees will pay less for their licenses, and will consequently have lower costs, and thus be able to charge less and hence take their rivals business. It's the same reason black cabs hate mini cabs, and hundreds of other similar situations.

I have some sympathy with them, the fault lies with the original licensing scheme. Once again the people paying the price are not the corrupt politicians who made these schemes, but the little man. Expect more of this as the current economic woes spread.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greeks baring rifts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:45 pm 

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:11 am
Posts: 6700
The one thing a Socialist can never understand is that the money will run out. Governments will keep printing money, like we are doing at moment, until the Markets call "foul" which is due anytime.
Hopefully there are enough adults left in the electorate to vote in some fiscal responsibility, before the Socialists max out every National Credit Card.
Unfortunately, here, all the main parties are Socialist and you couldn't fit a fag-paper between all three buttocks. I'd guess fiscal responsibility is a syllable over-load for most MPs.

_________________
If you don't get grumpy as you grow older then you aren't paying attention


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greeks baring rifts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:20 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:21 pm
Posts: 2323
Location: Essex
Quote:
Terror Group: 'We'll Make Greece A War Zone'

11:13am UK, Friday July 30, 2010
Johanna Kippo, Sky News Online
A terrorist group has warned tourists not to travel to Greece, saying it is preparing to turn the country into a 'war zone'.

The group told tourists to keep away because it wants to turn Greece into a 'war zone'
In the middle of a busy holiday season, the left-wing group, calling itself Sect of Revolutionaries, said in a statement: "Tourists must learn that Greece is no longer a safe haven for capitalism.

"We intend to turn it into a war zone of revolutionary activity with arson, sabotage, violent demonstrations, bombings and assassinations."

The militant group also claimed responsibility for the murder of Socrates Giolias, 37, an investigative journalist who was shot outside his home earlier this month.

It says it will wage a campaign of attacks against police, businessmen, prison staff and journalists it considers corrupt.
The militants, however, said they would not carry out indiscriminate attacks, and made no direct threat to tourists.

_________________
"These people do steer the planet; they don't totally control it, they are trying to set up an open world government to control it."
Gold and silver thread (last post: 22/07/11).
Price 1oz coin @ APMEX: Gold $1,601 | Silver $40.01


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greeks baring rifts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:00 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:15 am
Posts: 1315
Location: Brussels, Belgium
An update:

The Greek government has handed fuel distribution over to the army, and the strikers will have their licenses taken away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10822911

Richard, I'm not sure we are on the same wavelength in terms of the media, but the ones that I read are always full of Greek stories. Just today the FT has a feature on Greece entitled "Greek Marathon".

_________________
Nick

"It is amazing the number of highly intelligent persons in the world who make no contribution at all to the well-being of their fellow men" - Lee Kuan Yew


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greeks baring rifts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:03 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:15 am
Posts: 1315
Location: Brussels, Belgium
therewaslight wrote:
Quote:
Terror Group: 'We'll Make Greece A War Zone'

11:13am UK, Friday July 30, 2010
Johanna Kippo, Sky News Online
A terrorist group has warned tourists not to travel to Greece, saying it is preparing to turn the country into a 'war zone'.

The group told tourists to keep away because it wants to turn Greece into a 'war zone'
In the middle of a busy holiday season, the left-wing group, calling itself Sect of Revolutionaries, said in a statement: "Tourists must learn that Greece is no longer a safe haven for capitalism.

"We intend to turn it into a war zone of revolutionary activity with arson, sabotage, violent demonstrations, bombings and assassinations."

The militant group also claimed responsibility for the murder of Socrates Giolias, 37, an investigative journalist who was shot outside his home earlier this month.

It says it will wage a campaign of attacks against police, businessmen, prison staff and journalists it considers corrupt.
The militants, however, said they would not carry out indiscriminate attacks, and made no direct threat to tourists.


This kind of stuff has been going on in Greece since 1974, it's nothing new. There are far too many leftists in Greece who are bereft of humanity and intelligence.

_________________
Nick

"It is amazing the number of highly intelligent persons in the world who make no contribution at all to the well-being of their fellow men" - Lee Kuan Yew


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greeks baring rifts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:32 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:15 am
Posts: 1315
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Ian Reid posting as a guest wrote:
Kyle wrote:
Quote:
lorry drivers announced their intention to go on indefinite strike today over plans to open up their sector to new licenses, opening up the transport business to new entrants


Is this one of the dumbest ever reasons for a strike?


No. It is actually quite rationale. They probably paid a lot of money for their licenses, and need to charge accordingly to recoup their investment. As I understand it the new licensees will pay less for their licenses, and will consequently have lower costs, and thus be able to charge less and hence take their rivals business. It's the same reason black cabs hate mini cabs, and hundreds of other similar situations.

I have some sympathy with them, the fault lies with the original licensing scheme. Once again the people paying the price are not the corrupt politicians who made these schemes, but the little man. Expect more of this as the current economic woes spread.


A quote from the Wall Street Journal:
Quote:
...At its heart the strikers don’t want their valuable licenses -– worth anywhere between €90,000 to €200,000 — to evaporate to worthless in three years. And they are not appeased by the offer by the Transport Ministry that would allow the current value of the license to be counted as equity capital in newly formed companies.

Interestingly, these licenses were issued under a law passed by the military junta in the 1970s. Since then they have been transferred between truck drivers in the gray market, have never been taxed and their value has never been declared as an asset to any authorities. ...

http://blogs.wsj.com/source/2010/07/28/ ... o-trouble/

_________________
Nick

"It is amazing the number of highly intelligent persons in the world who make no contribution at all to the well-being of their fellow men" - Lee Kuan Yew


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greeks baring rifts
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:06 am 
Downhill PV wrote:
Ian Reid posting as a guest wrote:
Kyle wrote:
lorry drivers announced their intention to go on indefinite strike today over plans to open up their sector to new licenses, opening up the transport business to new entrants

Is this one of the dumbest ever reasons for a strike?


No. It is actually quite rationale.


A quote from the Wall Street Journal:
Quote:
...At its heart the strikers don’t want their valuable licenses -– worth anywhere between €90,000 to €200,000 — to evaporate to worthless in three years. And they are not appeased by the offer by the Transport Ministry that would allow the current value of the license to be counted as equity capital in newly formed companies.

Interestingly these licenses were issued under a law passed by the military junta in the 1970s. Since then they have been transferred between truck drivers in the gray market, have never been taxed and their value has never been declared as an asset to any authorities. ...

http://blogs.wsj.com/source/2010/07/28/ ... o-trouble/


Fair enough they are just another bunch of crooks. Unfortunately it seems they are not untypical of the Greek mentality.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greeks baring rifts
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:45 am 

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:11 am
Posts: 6700
Quote:
Unfortunately it seems they are not untypical of the Greek mentality.


That seems unfair to me. Greek Laws and rules are different to ours, may we really judge what guy has to do there to survive?

_________________
If you don't get grumpy as you grow older then you aren't paying attention


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
610nm Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net