Change font size
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The march of progress
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

If I stood up, in all seriousness, and said that the moon was made of green cheese, my readers – I hope – might look a little bit askance at me, and conclude, as many already have, that I have finally lost it. Yet, when we get ministers making assertions of the same order of impossibility, it now seems that the role of the media is diligently to record such exudations, affording inane jabbering more respect and credibility than it could possibly deserve.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The march of progress
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:31 pm 

This is absolutely 100% right.

(Although a good bonfire of Ministers is by no means an unattractive notion...)

Looking at the electricity generation figures for the first 6 months of this year, BigWind managed to average 0.8% of total, on half hour by half hour official generation statistics. For significant periods BigWind's total contribution was virtually zero.

The total for around 3,000 turbines across the UK.

And, of course the reduction in "emisions" is much less than that, as gas stations are kept spinning in reserve to stabilise the grid as wind comes and goes. And because BigWind makes NO contribution to non-electric heating & transport.

So building a further 6,000 wind turbines (BuffHuhne opines that we should go for a further 12,000) will still have NO effect on CO2 emissions, which in any case have precious little, if any, effect on climate.

But it will hasten the happy day when average domestic electricity bills are £5,000 per year (as Ofgem have predicted for 2020.) That'll be good if your total state pension is less than that!

BuffHuhne is a star nincompoop in a coalition pantomime horse "government" packed with nincompoops.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:32 pm 

They seem to be in competition to see who can be most stupid, buffHuhne seems to be close but there are some chasing hard. With 50+ seats out of 300+ not-the -conservative party, why is the tail wagging the dog.....oh yes, Camerloon is a dedicated windmill lover. Did he not learn anything at Eton? Surely there is someone in this con, oops coalition who has the sense, or the advisors with same, who can point out the insane thinking behind all this. It has no logical foundation at all. That is the trouble when you only employ "yes men" I suppose.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:52 pm 
Oh
my
God!
This was in the same edition:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/new ... iness.html

I've lost the power of speech.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:54 pm 
"It's beautifully windy so it does actually produce a lot of electricity" - Er NO! If the wind is too strong turbines shut down to protect them from damage. Plenty of clips on YouTube showing what happens when they don't..... As I've just spent a nostalgic weekend surfing through the many sites dedicated to offshore (pirate) radio, only a nutcase would think of putting these monsters in the North Sea.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:00 pm 
Is this the link to the Telegraph Huhne article? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/tele ... ation.html

btw if energy generation must take place at sea, why not use wave power technology or nuclear reactor? in modified Mulberry caissons (relatively cheap and easy to build)?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:12 pm 
"It's beautifully windy so it does actually produce a lot of electricity"

How much is a lot, please quantify Mr PPE graduate? Will they produce "a lot " when there is a high pressure system over the UK? If not, where will the "lot" we need to power our country come from? Russian/Arab gas fuelled power stations, perhaps? Or will we just need to hang around freezing in the dark waiting for the weather to change?

Simple question one would have though the Telegraph would have asked Huhne. But I guess the Telegraph writer is another arts graduate incapable of imagining such simple questions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:56 pm 
I read with glee how enterprising Englishmen found the solution for speed cameras, (burn them )
How I wish their were more Englishmen on the continent.
Now how long will it take before the shooting practice starts on the blades of these monsters (the mind boggles a what a well placed solid shot could do.) If only Don Quixote was alive and well what fun he would have.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:28 pm 

lost in space wrote:
I read with glee how enterprising Englishmen found the solution for speed cameras, (burn them )
How I wish their were more Englishmen on the continent.
Now how long will it take before the shooting practice starts on the blades of these monsters (the mind boggles a what a well placed solid shot could do.) If only Don Quixote was alive and well what fun he would have.

Perhaps industrial quantities of sticky foam would unbalance a blade enough for these things to tear themselves apart.
Cold enough weather and spraying water might work too.
Floating trebuchet platform to hurl stones at the things.
A redundant sailboat with a tall enough mast or an enormous lance to joust the beast into pieces.
A para-sailing donkey to tie up the blades.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:22 pm 

A shot through the blade is the sneakiest. Water will condense in the cavity and the blade that is upright during the next hard frost (they're coming) will have expanding ice and glass-fibre trying to attach to contracting metal.
Seriously though, the maintenance of these things must be covered for in subsidies, just what are the taxpayers' liabilities for hard winter damage, and what did last winter cost?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:08 pm 
I quit reading newspapers (what a misnomer) years ago because what they peddle is as far removed from intelligent news as you can get. The dead tree press produces only one thing - low grade toilet paper that comes ready supplied with its own shit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:15 pm 
As accurate and convincing that you are in your rejection of the AGW scenario, 'slime' Huhne, as detestable as he apparently is, probably thinks that you are a suitable case for treatment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:30 pm 
I am contemplating the old saying about an irresistible force (such as the truth) meeting an immoveable object (such as our ignorant and obdurate ministers). I have a feeling that the inevitable explosion will be very messy and will cost us taxpayers even more than the costly subsidies are already doing!
I just hope it takes a few slimebags into terminal mental disintegration!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:26 am 
Martin Brumby wrote:

But it will hasten the happy day when average domestic electricity bills are £5,000 per year (as Ofgem have predicted for 2020.) That'll be good if your total state pension is less than that!

Martin - do you have a link for that figure?

That is quite scary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:55 am 
Site Admin

andyscrase2 wrote:
Martin Brumby wrote:

Martin - do you have a link for that figure?

That is quite scary

All you need to do is read the blog ... leave it long enough and the whole world passes through ....

http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... verty.html

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next