Change font size
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:28 pm

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: IRAQ THREAD
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:17 am 
Site Admin

The Sunday Telegraph is carrying reports of leaked documents, attesting to the lack of preparation for the "nation-building" phase of the Iraqi conflict in 2003. In particular, we have Maj-Gen Andrew Stewart writing: "The pessimist in me says that Iraq is a missed opportunity … at the strategic level we had poor judgment, thinking there was time ... My greatest fear is that, should the political and development process fail, we may become the focus of hostility and resentment from the whole spectrum of Iraqis."

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Recriminations
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:26 am 
The feeling of "I told you so" is a bitter one. To know one has intuitively been correct on matters but been powerless to wield any influence is not a comfortable place. Elections remain a brief opportunity but are now vulnerable to fraud and spin. It is little wonder that frustrated violence has so featured in the history of the human race.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:17 am 

You may be sure that when, in the fullness of time, a similar report is issued on our involvement in Afghanistan.it will be equally, if not more damaging,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:36 am 
Site Admin

I don't know whether "bitter" is the same as "smouldering anger". If it is, then I'm bitter. Good men lost their lives unnecessarily and the adventure cost us a great deal for very little gain. And yes, some of the errors have been and are being repeated in Afghanistan ... when in the fullness of time there is an inquiry on the Afghan adventure, this will undoubtedly be pointed out ... years after the event.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:59 pm 
Following the situation in Afghanistan, as well as the Iraq Inquiry between your blog and Chris Ames' Iraq Inquiry Digest. I am so grateful to you both for intelligently and efficiently documenting the developments.

THANK YOU AGAIN.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:34 am 
Please, please stop plugging your book in every post richard.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:58 am 
Yesterdays "revelations" in the Torygraph about secrecy and political expediency being a barrier to effective planning are entirely correct. I was involved in logistic planning for the war and it did indeed start in Feb 02. It was, however, utterly hamstrung by the need to keep this planning process from a sceptical British public. It was not just Industry that would be providing kit that was kept in the dark, it was virtually the entire DLO that would be ordering and managing the kit. Shameful. As a direct result of this, we were woefully ill prepared logistically for the war. Thank god the Iraqi's were rubbish!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

Guest wrote:
Please, please stop plugging your book in every post richard.

Er ... every post? And when did I last plug it?

And have you bought it?

And you pay for this blog how?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:38 pm 

Right when we are coming up to Christmas Richard should be plugging his book in every post.

It's timely - it's being used for the official inquiry into the Iraq war - and there are no serious competitors to its analysis.

A collector's item. Perfect present for your Conservative uncle.

Post subject: Re: IRAQ THREAD
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:08 pm 
Chilcot, of course, links Iraq and "renewables". This cutting, from July 2005, is interesting:

Sir John Chilcot, one of the privy counsellors on the Butler Inquiry, is being buffeted by another controversy as a director of North British Wind Power. The company wants to build 62 wind turbines on the Duke of Roxburghe's estate in the Scottish Borders.
This is opposed by the Lammermuir Protection Group, which is writing to Chilcot to ask how he squares his love of walking with the fact that the propellers will dominate part of a trek called The Sir Walter Scott Way. NBWP claims the turbines are miles away in a bowl already uglified by electricity pylons.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comm ... diary.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:34 pm 
RAENORTH

Its great work you are doing, keeping us informed. Thank you.

I will ask my library order that "book" of they dont have one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

DP111 wrote:
RAENORTH

Its great work you are doing, keeping us informed. Thank you.

I will ask my library order that "book" of they dont have one.

Good oh!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:25 pm 
I wish the links between big business and bankers to these conflicts were included as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

oldrightie wrote:
I wish the links between big business and bankers to these conflicts were included as well.

You are not wrong ... corruption and self-interest are writ through the whole epidode. War is big money and big opportunity - it most certainly has an influence.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:45 pm 
RAENORTH wrote:
The problem is compounded by the fact that The Telegraph has published the papers in a format which prevents "copy and paste", which means that extracts for quotation have to be laboriously copied out manually, adding considerably to the time taken.

Richard,

I have created a 31MB zipped directory of all 105 pages here at TeraDepot. It takes about 3.5 minutes to download. The pages display nicely but are in jpg/image format. A lot of my computing stuff is still out of action otherwise I would have tried to run them through some OCR software and converted them to text as opposed to images. Maybe Sandy, or someone else here with the necessary wherewithal, could offer to get the images in a strict text format. Yes or no, you can at least print them out. I always find paper versions a lot easier to read than the screen.

Meanwhile try this link for a bigger reading pane.

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next