Change font size
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:28 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: Entertainment value
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

The real story of the Labour years is one of under-achievement, rank failure and a vast expansion of wasteful government interference in everyone's lives. So says The Sun which, at the tail end of the Labour party conference, has ostentatiously switched sides and is now supporting the Conservatives.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Entertainment value
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:34 pm 

Quote:
Although it has said it will not support Labour, the Sun has not explicitly endorsed the Conservatives, saying they have to do more to earn voters' trust....

The Sun's associate editor Trevor Kavanagh said the paper had been debating whether to withdraw its support from Labour for some time.

Although the paper's proprietor Rupert Murdoch had been "involved" in the decision, he said it was the paper's readers who had really driven the switch.

"They have turned off Gordon Brown and the Labour Party," he told the BBC's Daily Politics.

However, he said the Conservatives must say more about their policies on the economy, immigration and Europe.

"This is no blank cheque," he said. "We want them [the Tories] to put more flesh on the bones."

So yes, the Sun is following its readers.

You have to wonder about Harriet Harman's state of mind -

Quote:
Harriet Harman has said Labour "won't be bullied" after the Sun said it would not back Labour at the next election.

Labour's deputy leader said her party was "angry" at the paper's decision to desert it, but urged members to use the move to inspire them to victory.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8282535.stm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:42 pm 
Good enough to fight the next election, but not good enough to win it! Failed to tell the country where the money for his lavish promises would come from. Lack of any acknowledgement that serious cuts in public spending are needed. Maybe leading the party but certainly not the country. Last throw of the dice. Just some of the ideas out there about our beleaguered and embattled PM. More of my thoughts here.http://wp.me/pyq3l-3W

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:58 pm 

The Sun's political editor was on Newsnight last night and when asked why, the 2nd point he mentioned was the Lisbon Treaty......so the Sun will be against that as well and they do have 10 million readers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:46 pm 
Oh dear. How incoherent. Have you thought through your sneer at nasty profit-seeking Murdoch versus the rent-seeking BBC quango? Which, BTW, is not averse to corporate profit-seeking for itself and for the production companies of its inner circle to which it steers programming plums.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Stravagantisimo wrote:
Oh dear. How incoherent. Have you thought through your sneer at nasty profit-seeking Murdoch versus the rent-seeking BBC quango? Which, BTW, is not averse to corporate profit-seeking for itself and for the production companies of its inner circle to which it steers programming plums.

If you had read my original piece on the Murdoch/BBC spat, you would have seen my comments that I did not have a dog in this fight. Murdoch sells low quality tat, viz NOTW and The Sun, and has turned the Times into a comic. I have neither time for Murdoch nor the BBC. If, however, Murdoch is able to get the Tories to trim the ambitions of the BBC, then it would be a start ... but only a small start. The best option would be for the BBC to be dismantled and the license fee abolished. Somehow, though, I don't see Murdoch lobbying for that. He will look after his own interests. They are not mine.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:07 pm 

FU (Fed Up) wrote:
The Sun's political editor was on Newsnight last night and when asked why, the 2nd point he mentioned was the Lisbon Treaty......so the Sun will be against that as well and they do have 10 million readers.

Maybe that's the deal. If the Tories give Murdoch the reforms he wants on the BBC he will take the finger off the Lisbon ejector button.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:11 am 
therewaslight wrote:
FU (Fed Up) wrote:

Maybe that's the deal. If the Tories give Murdoch the reforms he wants on the BBC he will take the finger off the Lisbon ejector button.

Bingo! That's got to be it. Yes, what else could it be?

Also, I bet Murdoch 'upgrades' the titillation on page 3 to attract even more readers now that the stakes have been raised. Firms might then even be tempted, for the purposes of increasing male staff on-the-job contentment, to stack 'handy' copies in the corporate lavatories as in-loo recompence for the inevitable pay cuts on their way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:22 pm 
"Labour, in the persona of Lord Mandelson, has been quick to respond. He says: "The proprietor might have changed his mind but I don't think the readers want The Sun to set on New Labour. The last thing Sun readers want is to see their newspaper turned into a Tory fanzine. They want a newspaper, not a propaganda sheet.""

So is it just a small change of direction that morphs a 'newspaper' into a 'propaganda sheet' ?

Is Mandelson saying that print media that offer succour and support to Labour are OK but those that don't are propaganda? One might have thought it was the other way around in most situations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

GP wrote:
"Labour, in the persona of Lord Mandelson, has been quick to respond. He says: "The proprietor might have changed his mind but I don't think the readers want The Sun to set on New Labour. The last thing Sun readers want is to see their newspaper turned into a Tory fanzine. They want a newspaper, not a propaganda sheet.""

So is it just a small change of direction that morphs a 'newspaper' into a 'propaganda sheet' ?

Is Mandelson saying that print media that offer succour and support to Labour are OK but those that don't are propaganda? One might have thought it was the other way around in most situations.

I speak the truth ... you speak propaganda. T'was ever thus.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:59 pm 
I think the full conjugation goes like this:

I speak the truth
you spin
he lies

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

John Archer wrote:
I think the full conjugation goes like this:

I speak the truth
you spin
he lies

followed by:

we believe
you must be joking
they can't be serious?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:01 pm 
Exactly right when the/one's opponent is a europhiliac or AGW alarmist or a leftie or ....... well the list is endless.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:10 pm 
RAENORTH wrote:
GP wrote:

I speak the truth ... you speak propaganda. T'was ever thus.

Indeed, but at least Mandelson is on record in case Murdoch should ever swivel the other way again and teflon Mandy, in whatever roles he may be by then, welcomes him with open arms. (Though more likely he would be welcoming Murdoch junior I suppose.)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]