Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:13 am

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Yellow journalism
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

I had an impassioned telephone conversation with Mrs EU Referendum last night, who is staying with her elderly mother recovering from an operation on her eyesight. The proximate cause of her ire was the juxtaposition of two events. Earlier that day, she had read in one of the tabloids of a toerag who had been treated to a £7,000 safari holiday at the taxpayers' expense, on the grounds that his social worker thought it might help sort out his criminal behaviour – only to have the scum get caught within days of his return doing some nefarious act.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Yellow journalism
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:56 pm 
Dr North

While the mathmatics of your argument are impeccable, I can for once see the connection made by the Torygraph. It's not the relative sizes of the sums involved nor the institutional incompetence of the MOD. Likewise, it never was important for the national finances to get back that dishonest mortgage money, nor the moat nor the..... Surely it was the juxtaposition of the extraordinary arrogance of the MP's both when claiming and when self-exhonorating and the awfulness of the situation in Afghanistan, well described by Michael Won until he was defenestrated. You keep on having to recall that the MP's first reaction when the lid blew off was to find the mole and deal with him harshly. As people kept on saying at the time - they did not "get it", and in repeating this I'm not forgetting the ridiculous history of how those claims became part of the system.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:00 pm 
Richard North said: "Reducing the emoluments of our parliamentary representatives would not in any way resolve the defence equipment issue."

I, too, read the Torygraph's front page. Unlike you, I did not get the remotest impression from the article that the writers' main point was that if MPs got less money, soldiers would automatically get more equipment.

The impressions I took away from the article were:
1. It was designed to make trouble for Labour in the run up to their conference;
2. It was an account of the unfairness felt by the censors of MPs' expenses, compared with the lack of proper equipment for the low paid soldiers (an emotion, not, as you claim, a direct linkage of the money);
3. It was a puff for the new book: 'No Expenses Spared';
4. It was designed to boost the Torygraph's circulation.

Your research is excellent, your facts are true, but you neglect the importance of people's feelings.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

Budgie wrote:
Richard North said: "Reducing the emoluments of our parliamentary representatives would not in any way resolve the defence equipment issue."

I, too, read the Torygraph's front page. Unlike you, I did not get the remotest impression from the article that the writers' main point was that if MPs got less money, soldiers would automatically get more equipment.

The impressions I took away from the article were:
1. It was designed to make trouble for Labour in the run up to their conference;
2. It was an account of the unfairness felt by the censors of MPs' expenses, compared with the lack of proper equipment for the low paid soldiers (an emotion, not, as you claim, a direct linkage of the money);
3. It was a puff for the new book: 'No Expenses Spared';
4. It was designed to boost the Torygraph's circulation.

Your research is excellent, your facts are true, but you neglect the importance of people's feelings.

Believe it or not, I have feelings too ... although many will disagree. I agree with your "take" but would add that I am disgusted to the point of screaming fury that the media (and the DT in particular) so shamelessly exploits such important issues for its own purposes.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:55 am 
"Having spent a lifetime in pursuit of lost causes, though, I might as well persevere"

This quote is a gem! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:59 am 
Site Admin

Robert of Ottawa wrote:
"Having spent a lifetime in pursuit of lost causes, though, I might as well persevere"

This quote is a gem! :-)

Unfortunately, it is all too true!

Profile E-mail  

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]