Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:00 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Those light bulbs ...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Booker is hot on the case of the disappearing light bulbs in this week's column, the bulbs that supposedly become "illegal" on 1 September, when all we will be able to buy are the energy-saving compact fluorescents.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Those light bulbs ...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:19 pm 

What about selling light bulbs as "infrared radiators"? They are very efficient in that role - over 90 percent of power is radiated in the infrared.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:32 pm 

Just so you know whose side I'm on...phk the EU...and all who sail in her.
That expressed, when, was it about a year ago, this subject was broached, probably not for the first time, I wrote that I was in favour of the new type of bulb.
If one wants to use incandescent, kerosene, propane, tallow or what you will should be a matter of personal choice...my secret preference is the traditional Scheiterhaufen fuelled with Brussels & Westminster bureaucrats...long-lasting & positively Umweltfreundlich.
I confess that I use a lot of electricity. Having slaved more than most, from dawn to dusk, I have earned my current (no pun intended) creature comforts, but am conscious of what they cost.
Where it was possible, I installed the new bulbs where I lived & live...Many of the original, glass-sheathed bulbs installed about twenty years ago are still functioning without problem. With very few exceptions, my other installations are halogen which need constant replacement. I have suffered no eye-stress & believe that this is a Luddite excuse for not moving with the times...but, whatever turns you on, baby.
The 'new' bulbs must be disposed of of course (after twenty years?) but tell me what doesn't in our brave new world...some day, I too must be disposed of and, unless crematoria are (more than likely) banned, I shall go up in joyous smoke.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:50 am 

Quote:
unless crematoria are (more than likely) banned,

Soylent Green, show you 'Care' about the Environment!

The problem, PEP, is not whether more expense up-front saves lots of cash flow, but whether it should be law.

Diesel cars undoubtedly have higher mpg than petrol, so we ban petrol?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:27 am 

Quote:
The problem, PEP, is not whether more expense up-front saves lots of cash flow, but whether it should be law.

Took that as read, Sandy...I was being a tad tangential...which may well be breaking some law or other PDT_Armataz_01_31

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33 pm 

Is Soylent Green a village on the Isle of White? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

permanentexpat wrote:
Is Soylent Green a village on the Isle of White? :lol:

Next one along from this, isn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camberwick_Green

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:05 pm 

Quote:
Is Soylent Green a village on the Isle of White?

Golf Club I think.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:06 pm 

The hated new bulbs may well prove to be a longish flash in the pan...LED technology is making enormous advances & is already being experimentally used in Germany for street lighting...and it's very impressive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:20 am 

permanentexpat wrote:
The hated new bulbs may well prove to be a longish flash in the pan...LED technology is making enormous advances & is already being experimentally used in Germany for street lighting...and it's very impressive.

Yep it's predicted the next generation LEDs will supplant flourescents and incandescents within a few years, cutting electricity usage equivalent to eight power stations - ultra efficient and cheap LEDs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:44 am 

Richard, have you notied that Booker has had a chastising letter in the Telegraph from the abominable Michael Mann, father of the Hockey Stick - see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/lett ... he-EU.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:12 am 

Ref CFLs - it stries me that this is likely to be a good case of "follow the money". CFLs were expensive and unpopular, while ordinary bulbs were cheap and familiar. Whoever is manufacturing the CFLs (Philips?) was facing a significant potential loss on their development of a lousy technology. Suddenly, they have the market all to themselves.
I wish there was some sort of database of political donations. I wonder if Philips made some big donations to Blair & co shortly before the anti-incandescent jihad started.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]