Change font size
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Let them speak English
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

With thirty-seven years membership of the grand project behind us and ll we have to show the "colleagues" for their efforts is the news that state schools are slowly abandoning modern foreign languages.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Let them speak English
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:50 pm 

Does that matter? American global cultural supremacy doesn't look like it's going away and there are plenty potential bilingual employees to be hired from Europe.

They are perfectly free to work in this country under EU rules. And, you know, because they will be European, they'll be more loyal to the European system than English ones, right? That's good.

By importing linguists instead of creating our own, the Euroclass builds a better tomorrow... for itself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:54 pm 

Given that English is the (ahem) lingua franca of the modern world, it doesn't seem necessary to teach everyone in the UK a foreign language.

If it ever becomes necessary for an individual to learn a foreign language (perhaps for work) then s/he can go to a language lab.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

gordon-bennett wrote:
Given that English is the (ahem) lingua franca of the modern world, it doesn't seem necessary to teach everyone in the UK a foreign language.

If it ever becomes necessary for an individual to learn a foreign language (perhaps for work) then s/he can go to a language lab.

Just switch on the universal translator.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:12 pm 

gordon-bennett wrote:

Are employers going to pay to train someone up just because they are English when they can get the ready made product from abroad?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:30 pm 

It's not about languages...it's about education.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

permanentexpat wrote:

In that case, they should be learning Latin.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:20 pm 

Amo, Amas, Amat, etc. PDT_Armataz_01_37

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Pericles wrote:
Amo, Amas, Amat, etc. PDT_Armataz_01_37

I think, therefore Am Ant.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:53 pm 

Language is both a strength and a weakness of the English.
Strength because it is the #1 language of the world, weakness because it has made us lazy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

Robin wrote:
Strength because it is the #1 language of the world, weakness because it has made us lazy.

I actually don't agree with that. Even as a native speaker, I find English an immense challenge. Just inproving my own proficiency in the language is enough of a task. It is not laziness - just a sensible concentration of effort.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:10 pm 

RAENORTH wrote:
Robin wrote:

I actually don't agree with that. Even as a native speaker, I find English an immense challenge. Just inproving my own proficiency in the language is enough of a task. It is not laziness - just a sensible concentration of effort.

It makes us lazy because we feel we dont have to bother with other people.
"They all speak English over there" was something I heard more than once. Not true. Many "over there" do not speak English.
Secondly, even if a country, eg Denmark, had gifted people who nearly all speak English, there is no need to send our goods in packaging that does not have their language printed on it as the main. What housewife, for example, wants to translate the ingredients of a cake from English into their own language when it should be printed and set out clearly in the language of the country it is exported to ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:13 pm 
Bring back grammar schools and give the little bastards plenty of Latin. We had to suffer it so I don't see why future generations should escape.

Its biggest benefit is that it will teach them how to cope with excruciating, forced boredom. They should then be able to cope with watching television, listening to the radio and reading newspapers. It's a good training for many jobs too. And it definately improves one's spelling.

Someone, please make my day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

You've misspelt deffernittly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:15 pm 

Quote:
by RAENORTH » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:42 pm

permanentexpat wrote:

In that case, they should be learning Latin.

Yep...got the T-shirt.
The only problem was that, in my day & at my prep penitentiary, the idiots failed to explain that the learning of it was an entrée to modern 'Latin' languages..They regarded it only as helping to understand the bloody Mass and...who knows, you might become a priest PDT_Armataz_01_33

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next