Change font size
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:41 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Not unrelated
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

A piece in The Guardian today (yes, another one) has our Mandarins launching an attack on Labour, criticise the party's record on cabinet government. Doubtless, there is an element of special pleading here as the Sir Humpries are complaining that Labour has abandoned cabinet government during its time in power and routinely bypassed the civil service to exert greater political control over Whitehall.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Not unrelated
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:08 pm 
In February, Sean Gabb of the Libertarian Alliance made a speech to Conservative Future that went down like a lead balloon. That was a pity, because I thought many of the things he said made a great deal of sense. Some of what he said seems relevant to your post:

"Now, this is not advice to the Government that looks set to be formed within the next year or so my David Cameron. I may be wrong. It is possible that Mr Cameron is a much cleverer and more Machiavellian man that I have ever thought him, and that he plans to make radical changes once in office. But I do not think he is. I think what little he is promising to do is the very most that he will do. In any event, he is doing nothing to acquire the mandate without which radical change would lack legitimacy. And so this is advice that I offer to some future government of conservatives, rather than to any prospective Conservative Government. It may even be a government formed by the people in this room.

My first piece of advice is to understand the nature of your enemy. If you come into government, you will be in at least the same position as Ramsay MacDonald, when he formed the first Labour Government in the 1920s. He faced an Establishment that was broadly conservative. The administration, the media, the universities, big business - all were hostile to what it was believed he wanted to do. The first Labour Governments were in office, but not fully in power, as they were not accepted by the people with whom and through whom they had to rule the country. To a lesser degree, Clement Attlee and Harold Wilson faced the same constraints. A future Conservative Government will find much the same.

Over the past few generations, a new Establishment or ruling class has emerged in this country. It is a loose coalition of politicians, bureaucrats, educators, media people and associated business interests. These are people who derive income and status from an enlarged and activist state. They have been turning this country into a soft-totalitarian police state. They are not always friendly to a Labour Government, but their natural political home is the Labour Party. They will accept a Conservative Government on sufferance - but only so long as it works within a system that robs ordinary people of their wealth and their freedom. They will never consent to what should be the Conservative strategy of bringing about an irreversible transfer of power from the State back into the hands or ordinary people.

A Cameron Government, as I have said, seems willing to try coexistence with the Establishment. The Thatcher Government set out to fight and defeat an earlier and less confident version of the Establishment - but only on those fronts where its policies were most resisted. It won numerous battles, but, we can now see, it lost the war. For example, I well remember the battle over abolition of the Greater London Council. This appeared at the time a success. But I am not aware of one bureaucrat who lost his job at the GLC who was not at once re-employed by one of the London Boroughs or by some other agency of the State. And we know that Ken Livingstone was eventually restored to power in London.

If you want to win the battle for this country, you need to take advice from the Marxists. These are people whose ends were evil where not impossible. But they were experts in the means to their ends. They knew more than we have ever thought about the seizure and retention of power. I therefore say this to you. If you ever do come to power, and if you want to bring about the irreversible transfer of power to ordinary people, you should take to heart what Marx said in 1871, after the failure of the Paris Commune: the next attempt of the French Revolution will be no longer, as before, to transfer the bureaucratic-military machine from one hand to another, but to smash it, and this is the precondition for every real people's revolution.

The meaning of this is that you should not try to work with the Establishment. You should not try to jolly it along. You should not try fighting it on narrow fronts. You must regard it as the enemy, and you must smash it.

On the first day of your government, you should close down the BBC. You should take it off air. You should disclaim its copyrights. You should throw all its staff into the street. You should not try to privatise the BBC. This would simply be to transfer the voice of your enemy from the public to the private sector, where it might be more effective in its opposition. You must shut it down - and shut it down at once. You should do the same with much of the administration. The Foreign Office, much of the Home Office, the Commission for Racial Equality, anything to do with health and safety and planning and child protection - I mean much of the public sector - these should be shut down. If at the end of your first month in power, you have not shut down half of the State, you are failing. If you have shut down half the State, you have made a step in the right direction, and are ready for still further cuts.

Let me emphasise that the purpose of these cuts would not be to save money for the taxpayers or lift an immense weight of bureaucracy from their backs - though they would do this. The purpose is to destroy the Establishment before it can destroy you. You must tear up the web of power and personal connections that make these people effective as an opposition to radical change."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:57 pm 
Sorry for the O/T, but Instapundit is reporting the UK MoD has cancelled Michael Yon's embed.
http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/83984/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:41 pm 

It`s lovely to see such postings . At least some see the enemy as more than just the EU.

As a small example of Petunias post there was a piece on the Today programme Radio 4 about (dont turn off) foreign hauliers and the inabilty of VOSA to keep tabs on them when they are in the country.
Now the BBC tried to change this into a call for more EUrope control and made out that more foreign registered hauliers were in the country because of the internationalisation of freight and business. As you will be aware, this is not so . There`s more here because they are cheaper because we dont charge them for the use of our roads (you pay for that ), and we dont apply the same stringent standards on them as on our own. So the figure of 40% of them being dangerous would be 60 or 80 % if the same standards apply.
Also they can be checked more easily than the Department against Transport lied to the Parliamantarians about this issue . They dont like dealing with foreigners though, because they might not speak the language (or pretend to ). Again easily got round.
The problem is again the civil service using the EU to mask their own failings.

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]