Change font size
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:35 am

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: In our stead
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

The lottery of death and mayhem that characterises the campaign in Afghanistan has this time cast its shadow on two Estonian soldiers. They died on Sunday after their unit came under fire while clearing explosives from a road in Nad-e-Ali. Their deaths are in addition to the loss of a US soldier, but they will not be equally mourned. The US contingent will look after its own but, the deaths of the Estonians, as part of a small contingent serving a small nation, will be largely unregarded outside their own country.

View full article here

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: In our stead
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:20 pm 
Afraid that I cannot entirely agree with you on this one.

If the MOD announces their deaths do they also include tributes from their colleagues ? IF not, they might be accused of treating them in a less reverential manner than Brit casualties.

Where does this all end ? Should we announce deaths of US troops operating under UK command ?

I am not a particularly callous person but I believe that this whole ritual has got out of hand and has been robbed of much of its dignity. It has somehow been debased. And it is not confined to casualties of the current war. A recent BBC piece on the discovery of some 260 soldiers' remains from WW1 again talks about "heroes". Let us get this into perspective; soldiers who die in combat all die an honourable, soldier's death. Some are indeed heroic - but for the most part their deaths are sad, messy and unremarkable in the scheme of things.

We are victims of the dumbing down of society where we are all supposed to be equal. Trouble is that some deaths, as in life, are more equal than others.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

Guest 007 wrote:
Afraid that I cannot entirely agree with you on this one.

If the MOD announces their deaths do they also include tributes from their colleagues ? IF not, they might be accused of treating them in a less reverential manner than Brit casualties.

Where does this all end ? Should we announce deaths of US troops operating under UK command ?

I am not a particularly callous person but I believe that this whole ritual has got out of hand and has been robbed of much of its dignity. It has somehow been debased. And it is not confined to casualties of the current war. A recent BBC piece on the discovery of some 260 soldiers' remains from WW1 again talks about "heroes". Let us get this into perspective; soldiers who die in combat all die an honourable, soldier's death. Some are indeed heroic - but for the most part their deaths are sad, messy and unremarkable in the scheme of things.

We are victims of the dumbing down of society where we are all supposed to be equal. Trouble is that some deaths, as in life, are more equal than others.

If the MoD insists on continuing this charade, I feel, then at least it should be consistent. It should be everybody or nobody.

We are a satellite state of the Greater European Empire, ruled by a supreme government in Brussels. We owe this government neither loyalty nor obedience. It is not our government. It is theirs. It is our enemy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:32 pm 
Whilst I may have been critical of you in certain respects, Richard, on this one, you and I are in total agreement. The Danes, as you mention are taking casualties as are every other coalition partner, yet many people believe are coalition partners are not "pulling their weight" because the Media doesn't report their soldiers' deaths.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:44 pm 
Could the moderator change the picture by the article http://defenceoftherealm.blogspot.com/2 ... stead.html

These people on the photo are not Estonians. You can find fallen soldiers (Eerik Salmus and Raivis Kang) photos here http://www.mil.ee

Here are also goot photos available http://www.mil.ee/~fotek/gallery/view_a ... e=album667

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

comment wrote:
Could the moderator change the picture by the article http://defenceoftherealm.blogspot.com/2 ... stead.html

These people on the photo are not Estonians. You can find fallen soldiers (Eerik Salmus and Raivis Kang) photos here http://www.mil.ee

Here are also goot photos available http://www.mil.ee/~fotek/gallery/view_a ... e=album667

Thanks ... I'll do that. ...

Now done - could you check for me that I've got the names in the right order?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:51 pm 
This whole sorry mess needs to be mourned for the sheer waste of life on all sides and in particular civilians. A good article and a genuine tribute to all these brave soldiers, placed in harms way for what?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:39 pm 
RAENORTH, well done!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

comment wrote:
RAENORTH, well done!

Welcome. The least we could do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:52 pm 
I see Michael Yon has worn out the MOD's welcome in Sangin:

"Greetings,

The British Ministry of Defence canceled my embed after today's dispatch. Please Read "Bad Medicine".

Next Stop U.S. Forces.

Your Writer,

Michael"

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/michael-s-dispatches/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

Petunia wrote:
I see Michael Yon has worn out the MOD's welcome in Sangin:

I can quite see why the media ops "minders"didn't like that one ... far too much detail.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:07 pm 
Thank you, Richard. It means a lot to us.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:36 pm 

Quote:
I can quite see why the media ops "minders"didn't like that one ... far too much detail

Nah last line!
Quote:
Coming up next: the fighting we saw on election day wherein the soldier beside me got his antenna shot off.

Not on message, the elections were fair and successful. The EU said so.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

An Estonian army wife wrote:
Thank you, Richard. It means a lot to us.

You really are most welcome here. I am ashamed of my own people on this. I have asked my MPs to write to the Secretary of State (Ainsworth) on this, asking that proper acknowledgement is given, and have passed details to my friends in the media, hoping they will have the decency to write something.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:05 am 
Thank you for that!
Lancecorporal Kang was deployed to Afganistan 3 times - unfortunately third was also last . . . In 2006 he was together with Paras and 2007-2008 together with Royal Marines Commandoes.
Corporal Salmus was deployed to Afganistan 2 times - unfortunately second was last time . . . He served there in 2007-2008 together with Royal Marine Commandoes.

I was proud to serve together with them in 2007-2008 in dusty and abandoned streets of Now Zad. We will remeber them.

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next