The lap band surgery requires eating the right foods before the surgical process because these food choices prepare the patients for surgery by lowering the store fats around the liver. The pre-op diet for lap band is basically the life-changing food habits that help you for after and before the surgery. However, you can get the dietary information from your surgeon and dietitian. These nutritional guidelines are vital that help to make the surgical procedure easier and smoother. Some patients have slack eating habits that are not good for the surgical process because of a successful surgery, it is essential that there are low fats around your liver and spleen. In this surgery, surgeons put your liver aside and place the band. When your liver would be large in size, it will create complications.
So, start the pre-op diet before two weeks of surgery. You need to change the food types, and size of food portions when you are following this diet. This diet will not only prepare you for this procedure but help you to lose weight after surgery too. How this diet will help the patient for lap band? There are a lot of reasons and here we will discuss some of them:
- The pre-op diet helps to lower the stomach fat and extra fat around the liver
- This is a low-calorie diet that is high in protein that protects and preserves the muscles tissue. Also, the body doesn’t use the muscle tissue when it requires energy and that way more fat burns.
- This diet gets ready your body for upcoming surgery and speed up the recovery after bariatric surgery.
- Moreover, it also prepared your body for a post-op diet that is basically a low-calorie diet but high in protein and low in carbohydrates.
How to take pre-op diet for lap band:
There are some tips that help the patient how they can take the pre-op diet for lap band but it can vary from patient to patient.
- Cut or lower the saturated fats such as dairy products, fried food, whole milk products, and fatty meat
- Don’t include high carbohydrate food items in your diet such as pasta, bread, sugary food items, potatoes, desserts.
- Cut the high-sugar beverages such as energy drinks, sports drinks, regular soda, and fruit juice.
- Take a small portion of the meal
- Don’t go for splurge eating
- Avoid smoking
- Don’t use alcoholic beverages and drugs
- Take multivitamins
- Drink protein shakes or mixes protein powder with milk or juice.
- Don’t drink brews with daily meals.
What to eat date for your surgery nears:
You need to take high protein foods and shakes but keep in mind it should low-calorie foods because they are easy to digest. Protein is good when it comes to protect muscle tissues and burn fat. Additionally, it helps you for a speedy recovery and a stronger body. When the surgery date nears, switch to the liquid only diet. But you can take some solid foods too but it is good to follow the instructions of your doctor. The solid diet may include soft-boiled eggs, fish, and cereal
We hope you enjoy the incredible journey! We bet the pre-op diet for lap band’ tips will surely help you.